Carb questions!

forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by intake vacuum ports? The barbs on the carb holder boot between the carb and engine? Looking at some pics I took, I notice only the left one is connected. The right one is capped off. Could that be an issue?

Yes, that's what I meant...the carb boot holders on the intake, have the barbs for the vacuum lines that originally went to your petcocks...to essentially "pull" fuel when the bike is running.

It looks the the PO on your bike isn't using the other petcock, and has capped off the barb. This isn't a problem, as many people get fed up with the vacuum petcocks and just use one. (Your carbs are connected with a fuel line in between them so it's ok to just use one petcock to feed both carbs).

So if i pull the line it should stall out? I have been reading up on the dead cylinder test but it seems a bit confusing, mainly due to my lack of understanding.

Yep, so on the one side with the line still connected, if you pull that when your bike is running, then it should want to stall out... and same with the other side, but instead of a line, it will be a little "cap"...pulling that off should likewise want to make the bike stall out.

If when you do that on either side, if the bike runs the same or even increases in RPM, then you're running rich on that side.

The Dead-Cylinder method is a little hard to grasp without actually doing it...but essentially, you want to get each cylinder to be hitting about the same RPM. And to find that out, you need to isolate each cylinder...in practical terms, you want to have the bike running only on one cylinder at a time so you can measure the RPM of the cylinder that is firing.

The way I do it (note: I'm not an expert, but this works for me) is assuming the carbs have been cleaned, and are bench synced, I then make sure both carbs are synced using a manometer while running. Oh, also get a big fan to keep the bike cool as it's going to be running for a bit of time and you want to avoid overheating.

I then set both air/fuel mix screws to their factory settings (2 1/4 turns out I think for the '79 BS38's). Then start the bike and I get the idle to hover to the lowest setting before it will die if I ground out one plug...for me this is around 1500-1800 RPM. (Although I've had to have it up to 2000 before when I was first trying as I was a little unsure of what I was doing)

So now it's idling high, and it's time to address the air/mix screws...so let's say I'm working on the right cylinder first: (So I want to stall out the left cylinder)...

(Oh another note: With a "points" ignition, you want to ensure that plug wire is always going to spark... so don't just unplug a wire from the spark plug when running. It's bad for the coils...if anything you can put another spark plug in the wire (leaving the one that's on the bike where it is) but it's hard to do when the bike is running...lol.)

Pre-work:With the bike not started, I keep both plugs in their sockets...I pull the cap off one side, and connect a jumper wire from the tip of the plug to the connector inside the plug wire and have a large screwdriver handy...

Now...back to where I left off: start the bike up, it's idling high and I simply touch the screwdriver to the cylinder fins, and the tip of the exposed spark plug (with the jumper wire on it)...this will stall that cylinder.

What you should hear is the one cylinder cut out, and the idle will come down as it's solely working off of the right cylinder only... now go to the air/fuel mix screw and turn it to the right... speeds up/slows down the rpms? Then go back to the 2 1/4 turns and now go left...speeds up/slows down the rpms? You're looking for the speed that's the highest rpm that's steady and smooth... (Generally try leaning towards the richer side of things)...I try to get the RPM's to be at about 1000rpms on that side and running the smoothest/best.

Turn bike off, connect the left plug back up and switch jumper wire to the right side, and do the process over for the left cylinder now...

Once you've got them both set, adjust the idle speed to 1200rpm, and you should be good to go. You may want to do a little ride and then come back to check your spark plugs, and see how they are burning.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure others will jump in with better details on the dead-cylinder method... or things that I may have missed. :)

thanks a ton! I have some questions though. I have a pamco ignition, so i have to ground out the plug I won't be using to prevent damage(thats my understanding) Your screwdriver method is a bit confusing haha. How do I ground it out? holding a screwdriving shorting out the plug on one side and turning the screw on another seems a bit awkward. so you send the lowest idle before it will die with only one plug? This seems like a bizarre method. I believe the color tune kit I have does this same thing does it not? it allows you to see color of combustion in chamber to tune it?

Welcome to the site and congratulations on finding that good looking specimen. Once you get past this hiccup, you will be all set.

thanks a ton! I have some questions though. I have a pamco ignition, so i have to ground out the plug I won't be using to prevent damage(thats my understanding) Your screwdriver method is a bit confusing haha. How do I ground it out? holding a screwdriving shorting out the plug on one side and turning the screw on another seems a bit awkward. so you send the lowest idle before it will die with only one plug? This seems like a bizarre method. I believe the color tune kit I have does this same thing does it not? it allows you to see color of combustion in chamber to tune it?

Sorry about that...I just re-read my post and the grounding out part is a little tricky to understand. :(

OK, here's a vid on the "grounding out" concept...this is on a BMW motorcycle, but it's the same idea. They have an extension on their spark plugs, so the expose the tips...where as I don't have an extension, so I just used a jumper wire from the tip of the sparkplug to the plug wire.

Once I put the screwdriver into the fins (at the right angle), it stays put, and can essentially leave it (grounding out that side) while I go work on the other side's carb.

Yes, for the electronic ignition, there are rules about leaving the bike on when not running, etc...I'm not familiar with those, so make sure to do what's required so as to not hurt your ignition/coils, etc.

As far as colortune kits...I've never used one, but have often thought of getting one... they look super simple, and you could essentially get to this without doing any of the stuff I said. Just replace the spark plug with the colortune and address the mix screws to the right color...done. Ha! But I was taught the way I described and I'm use to it....take a few minutes to get it set for me... however, maybe it will be on the birthday present list one of these years.

Good luck!

Ok guys, i got the carbs off tonight. Had to remove airbox. Gonna open them up tomorrow night and start the clean. I have decided that i am gonna do the pod conversion now instead of later. Any suggestions, tips or tricks or stuff i should know? A question i have is what should i do with the big black hose that has a metal coil around it?

Take the "T" off the crankcase breather tube and insert this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-80190?seid=srese1&gclid=CPaN2tPntsYCFUQvgQodUYwDXA

Add some tubing to drop down below the frame.
I cut my oem tubing so it runs straight back to the backbone insert the check valve and run the small tubing down the backbone. Which makes the carbs easier to get back on and off.

@ RG
You are taking the carbs out the right side?

Its been a while since I have needed to remove carbs, but I think they come out easier on the right side.

Ive already got them out. Came out the left.
C1ABAAC4-6116-421A-8DB1-FFD407627ABB.jpg

ED81739F-32D1-4D1E-B7EB-41A4C40E28C9.jpg

0DE13F53-7FF7-4F37-A7FF-F2B0CD3CCE68.jpg

Dirtiest part on bike. the po obviously didnt do these when he cleaned rest of bike.

Do you guys have any suggestions on pods and jets?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-80190?seid=srese1&gclid=CPaN2tPntsYCFUQvgQodUYwDXA

I cut my oem tubing so it runs straight back to the backbone insert the check valve and run the small tubing down the backbone. Which makes the carbs easier to get back on and off.

@ RG

Would you mind getting me a pic?

Attachments

• crankcase breather tube.jpg
    crankcase breather tube.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

@ RG

Do I need a filter on the end? the purpose of that to my understanding is to be able to suck air in but not blow it out, and the oil residue that gets blown out would recycle back into crankcase. correct?

No reverse the action. Crankcase pressure is blown out but not sucked back in.
It creates a mild/small/little bit of vacuum on the crankcase possibly helping seal seepage? But it just drains to the outside/ground. If you are wanting to recycle the blow-by stick with the oem setup.

No reverse the action. Crankcase pressure is blown out but not sucked back in.
It creates a mild/small/little bit of vacuum on the crankcase possibly helping seal seepage? But it just drains to the outside/ground. If you are wanting to recycle the blow-by stick with the oem setup.

ahh ya i got myself mixed up on that. any idea what size of drain hose you need? making a parts list.

ok, sooo here is what im going with so far:

-2 x XS performance pods
-new clamps for said pods (mine are pretty worn and bent up)
-check valve from summit racing
-new fuel line/clamps
-ordered a few different sets of jets 137.5, 140 main and 30, 35 pilot(jets are cheap and might as well have a few lying around incase I need. I hate to get hung up on a $5 part)
-new fuel filters

am i missing anything?

Ive already got them out. Came out the left.
C1ABAAC4-6116-421A-8DB1-FFD407627ABB.jpg

ED81739F-32D1-4D1E-B7EB-41A4C40E28C9.jpg

0DE13F53-7FF7-4F37-A7FF-F2B0CD3CCE68.jpg

Dirtiest part on bike. the po obviously didnt do these when he cleaned rest of bike.

Do you guys have any suggestions on pods and jets?

Suggestions........................Keep using the stock airboxes, and just buy new air filters for them, if the present ones are old and crusty (falling apart). You won't need to change any jets (assuming your bike presently has the stock jets.), and you won't need a check valve.

The stock airbox and filters work very well, give good power and very good gas consumption up to 24.2 km/L or 57 mpg (US gallons). The 2 crankcase ventilation hoses flow any crankcase oil mist into the airboxes, which is then burned. No oil mist going onto your bike or into the environment.

The stock airboxes were designed by motorcycle engineers to work specifically with the stock exhaust. Since your bike has a very nice stock exhaust, I recommend you use the stock airboxes/filters.

Yes, I know that 95% of XS650 owners use pod filters, so if you want to follow the crowd, I guess you will be going that route also.

Edit: I don't know where you live in B.C., but most of that province receives a lot of rain. Pod filters don't work so well in rain conditions, whereas the stock airbox is designed to prevent water entering the engine.

Last edited:
What RG may have wanted to say is "Give Your Head a Shake!" - you just got a well preserved unit, leave it stock, change the air filters with stock type, get it working nicely, ride for a couple of oil changes, get used to it, then see what you want or need to change.

I appreciate the input guys, but I think I am gonna stick with my plans for pods. Not throwing out airboxes so I can always go back if I so choose.

What RG may have wanted to say is "Give Your Head a Shake!" - you just got a well preserved unit, leave it stock, change the air filters with stock type, get it working nicely, ride for a couple of oil changes, get used to it, then see what you want or need to change.

lakeview.................I like your blunt way of talking! It seems that most of the novice riders, of the XS650, think that pod filters will somehow make their bike faster, give it that race bike appearance. Sorta like a sheep in a wolf's clothing.

Reality is that these bikes are slow, and not racey at all. Any bike made in the last 10 years, with 500 cc or more, will accelerate past these bikes with no effort at all.

Back