Carb questions!

lakeview.................I like your blunt way of talking! It seems that most of the novice riders, of the XS650, think that pod filters will somehow make their bike faster, give it that race bike appearance. Sorta like a sheep in a wolf's clothing.

Reality is that these bikes are slow, and not racey at all. Any bike made in the last 10 years, with 500 cc or more, will accelerate past these bikes with no effort at all.

lakeview and RG, what are you guys trying to achieve? to guilt me into not doing what I want with MY bike that was paid for with MY money? I get it, you think bikes should stay stock and you like airboxes. I listened to your opinion but decided it was not the route I want to go. If you want to keep all bikes stock so bad, I will sell you mine tomorrow. $7000. Every forum I have ever been on has people like you with the "My way is the only way" attitude. It turns people away and intimidates them from joining and posting their own questions and builds and thats a shame. I get it guys, you don't agree with what I am doing, and thats fine but lay off now. I stated what I was gonna do and thats my choice. What does it matter what MY bike looks like to you? And how fun would it be if every bike was the exact same? I like the look of pod filters, am I gonna be racing crotch rockets on a 79? no. Talking about "novice riders", how do you know I am a novice rider? Could it be possible I have been riding bikes for years but am a novice mechanic now that I am retired and don't want to pay people to do the work I have time to do? Don't get it twisted, I appreciate the help, I really do, thats why I care that you are being so opinionated. If you decide to no longer help me with my problems or share your knowledge, that would be pretty childish but its your choice to make. Thank you for the help you have given me. To the other guys who have been helping me as well, thanks for your advice too.

Tonight I took apart the carbs and cleaned them. They wern't terrible inside but they definitely needed cleaning. I didn't notice anything that screamed rich or clogged but I cleaned everything. The needle jet on one was very very loose, popped right out. The other one was really really stuck. All of the other jets came out easy. probably a bit too easy? O rings on fuel mixture screws were shot. the needles were actually a bit worn? One needle is still in the slide as I wasnt able to remove c-clip. all in all, productive night and now just waiting for parts. will post some pics tomorrow.

You are a novice 650 rider and if you want to fuck up your bike with those pleated XS pods you can. I have seen nicer bikes cut up and hard tailed feel free.

You are a novice 650 rider and if you want to fuck up your bike with those pleated XS pods you can. I have seen nicer bikes cut up and hard tailed feel free.

christ scabber chill out. i never said i was set on the XS pods. wow. this thread is spiraling out of control quickly. It was pretty helpful for a bit there. can we please get back on the right track guys?

F4747C55-F0D4-470C-B55A-4F85FD136935.jpg

D5E29F38-D6D2-496E-B3FE-7E1E9203CBB4.jpg

100DB21A-CCD9-4F97-A597-E3F196CB7B9A.jpg

B8550F8E-A304-4FD6-BEC4-3801C9759405.jpg

4424C061-E493-4D17-AD29-ADDADD3A3F0F.jpg

BA68EB1E-C837-4D18-A763-0778104A9981.jpg

3B85E5EA-E04D-452D-A1B5-6A813B1DA236.jpg

carbs are back together and just waiting to be mounted. question for you guys with the Y crankcase breather vent, what did you do? run 2 hoses with check valves? cap one side off? if so how did you cap it off? thanks!

ok so carbs are on. I went to a 140 main and ORIGINALLY a a 30 pilot. but it was idling really high and wierd and as carb guide suggests, when i bliped the throttle it was slow to return to idle. So i upped the pilot to 32.5. carbs are synced really well. now flat spots or stumbling that I have noticed anywhere through 4th, even with throttle fully open in 2nd and 3rd. my problem however is idle. I got my colortune out and was trying to tune the idle after it was warm last night and thought I had it but when I went to start it for work today, it was acting wierd. I put the choke on to start it, it started but then died. I had to give it a bit of throttle a few times then it stayed running. took the choke off, idling around 800-900RPM (lower than the 1200 I had it at last night) then just to test, i reapplied the choke and it died. I did that a few times and it died. Does this mean I am now running too rich on my pilot and the choke is added too much fuel so it dies? Was going 2 up on the pilots too much? I live at a high elevation. I'm just trying to figure if its just a idle mix screw or I need to change the pilot again. BAH! so close!

... I live at a high elevation...

If you're above about 4,000-5,000 ft MSL, then you'll need to go leaner.

Carb pro's will say "You don't need less fuel, you need more air". But they're talking about jetting with the air bleed jets. Since you can't rejet the air bleeds (air jets), you've no choice but to rejet the fuel jets...

If you're above about 4,000-5,000 ft MSL, then you'll need to go leaner.

Carb pro's will say "You don't need less fuel, you need more air". But they're talking about jetting with the air bleed jets. Since you can't rejet the air bleeds (air jets), you've no choice but to rejet the fuel jets...

I live at 3356 ft. So your thinking 2 sizes up on pilots is too much then?

Could be. That, plus your descriptions make it sound like it's a little rich...

yeah i think the idle circuit is definitely a bit rich but it seems like the pilot jet before (which was one up from stock) seemed too lean. maybe I will put it back in and mess around with it to see what i can get working better. this morning when I went to start it at 10 degrees celsius it started, then died right away, I had to start it then give it a few pulls of throttle before it would stay running. when I took it apart everything was clean and not plugged.

... this morning when I went to start it at 10 degrees celsius it started, then died right away, I had to start it then give it a few pulls of throttle before it would stay running...

Actually, that sounds about right. Cold/carburetored engines need help until they're warmed up. We do carb jettings for warmed up engines. And, use the enrichener for those startups.

Actually, that sounds about right. Cold/carburetored engines need help until they're warmed up. We do carb jettings for warmed up engines. And, use the enrichener for those startups.

sorry I should have clarified, that was with the enrichener. 3-4 throttle pulls and it stayed running with enrichener.

so this weeekend I got out for the first real ride. about 2.5 hours. I had a few issues. Riding through the mountain passes, I had to go through 2 summits. Right before both summits the bike started to lose power, like I was lean all of a sudden. Everytime I was doing about 110KPH and at about 5000rpm. I would have to down shift to 3rd and it would take a min or so then I was good once I got through the section. It happened both directions both summits. One summit was 1535m and the other was 1600m. Thoughts? I am thinking maybe I need to adjust needle? Its in the middle position.

i feel like this is a dumb question, but... do you guys with dual vac petcocks have a vac line from each carb holder its respective petcock? my bike has one on the left side and the right side is capped off? I feel like this is a vac issue for some reason.

i feel like this is a dumb question, but... do you guys with dual vac petcocks have a vac line from each carb holder its respective petcock? my bike has one on the left side and the right side is capped off? I feel like this is a vac issue for some reason.

Yep, stock set up with two vacuum petcocks has a vac line from each carb holder to the petcock. If there's only one petcock attached to one vac port on the carb holder, then only that petcock will work via the vacuum actuation.

For your set up, you should check the petcock that's not connected to the vac port on the carb holder and see if it's indeed a vac petcock or if it's been converted to a non vac. set up. A few ways to test... Pull the fuel line from it, and see if gas comes out in any setting (It should only flow on "PRI") but if it comes out with "On" or "Res" then something has been changed...or it's leaking. If no fuel flows in any setting, then add a hose to the vac port (On the petcock) and suck on it for a second...see if gas comes out in the "On" or "Res" setting... if it does, then it's functional in stock form, and no reason not to connect it as it was intended.

However, I don't think this has anything to do with your power issue at altitude...unless you're not getting enough fuel in your carbs in general.

thx! i will check it out. fuel seems to flow as I don't have this issue riding around town, or on the hwy at even high rpm or at 5000rpm elsewhere, it only seems to be related to the elevation. I ordered UNI pods to see if maybe those help. Not sure what else to try

You may have to jet slightly rich for the lower levels to compensate for higher elevations?

You may have to jet slightly rich for the lower levels to compensate for higher elevations?

yeah, was thinking about that, just seems wierd to have to jet for a trip I might make a few times a year.

When the carb guide says breakup and stumbling, what exactly does that feel like? I am almost positive this is a lean issue but wanted to be sure. when it happens to me, the rpm drops and it basically feels like i lose all power, then it returns then back then gone again.

I had that bass ackwards you would jet leaner at lower elevations so it won't be too rich higher up.

Back