different spark plugs gap?

webbrs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hio, I recently started running a 3.0ohm dual fire dyna coil (green twin tower) and was wondering if the .0028-.0032" gap was optimal. I have read that someone widened the gap to around .0045" for the ultimate coil but I believe they had a pamco. I have chosen .0035" to start but haven't run them yet, plus I have yet to index the plugs but I will do that. Just wondering if too wide a gap would simulate a no ground issue and burn the coil similar to leaving off the wire. '81 with stock TCI ignition. What should I look for if I do decide to start the motor like this?
Thanks

start at .040" . depending on your state of tune, this gap will run. If your tune is top notch, go for .045. If at .045, the engine feels like its breaking up, go back to .040.

Thanks for the input. Its not top notch but I'll have the jets tomoro to finish it and will try to increase the gap. I am going to see how the 35 runs.
I noticed your running the canook needles. Did you put the plastic spacer that has the indexing nib on the new needles? I haven't read where anyone has pointed doing this out.

Try using the 0.035" gap for the plugs. 0.040" or 0.045" seems to be on the large size.

I use 0.035" on my plugs with an Accel 3.3 ohm coil that I use, and its works very well.

I have .0040 gap on IX plugs with the Pamco and ultimate coil . Also have uni pods and a 2 into 1 . I think I could go slightly bigger on the gap but I am going to change my exhaust(back to a 2 into 2 for better bottom end ) and will wait until after that .

I don't run Canada needles in my bike, mine are custom made by a fine friend of the xs. Great guy. He is gone now. rip john.
Search xsjohn needles here and 650rider.org to see what the hubbub about his needles are about.
You may have stumbled apon a thread were I was working on a friends' 80 650. I put Canada needles I that, but I don't remember what order I put them in at.
If you go Canada, you have to get the matching emulsion tube for them. Runs real good, but not as good as my bike .mines bored to 680, his is stock bore.

What is meant by, "indexing spark plugs"? What is an emulsion tube?

indexing spark plugs means you mark on the outside were the open end of the ground strap of the plug is, then when you install it ,u use washers to make plug tight in the spot were the opening of the ground strap would be open in the direction of the intake valve. suppose to help with flame travel, and a more complete burn.
The emulsion tube is the brass tube the needles go into.

Indexing the spark plugs is pointing the open side towards the intake valve so the side electrode doesn't block any of the spark. The emulsion tube is the needle jet, just another term for it.

and I suppose you call the enrichener the choke? Of course you don't. Weve been helping others out too long to battle symantics. If someone asks what something is, I tell them to the best of my knowledge in proper terms. No, I don't speak the queen's English, (glad that episode is over) But I do try to help in giving correct terms.
Its also good sometimes to "dumb" it down(not saying your dumb, joebgd)gives people choices on what they would like to say.
Im not lipping off to you 5t. Wish you were near, ide buy you a roy Rodgers.
(now were did I put my black president?)

angus67;

Settle down lad. Many things in this world go by 2 names. Most people understand the meaning of either word.

Emulsion tube/needle jet
Choke /enricher
mixture screw/pilot screw
fender/mudguard
hood/bonnet
wrench/spanner
flashlight/torch

Seriously tho, The e-tube isn't truly the needle jet. They are separate, the needle rides in the e-tube and seats in the needle jet on the bs34 at least. The jet mounts to the e-tube.

As an update my coil must not be as powerful as I first thought because running .35" the smoothness deteriorated rather quickly. It started breaking up like nine kindsa crap. I went back to .33 with a 140 main, 47.5 pilot and two turns out on the mix. The electrode is a light tan but I'm getting soot on the thread lip of the plug body. Could I need to go up a step on my air jet? I don't really want to swap out the needle setup just yet unless I just have too.

angus67;

Settle down lad. Many things in this world go by 2 names. Most people understand the meaning of either word.

Emulsion tube/needle jet
Choke /enricher
mixture screw/pilot screw
fender/mudguard
hood/bonnet
wrench/spanner
flashlight/torch

Not quite, RG,
the emulsion tube is the brass thing the needle slides in and out of so there's two things not different names for the same part.
And a choke restricts the air supply while the enrichener feeds in more fuel.
The rest of the US/Anglo bilingualisms are OK but is there a difference between a flapper bracket and a tart tray?
Back to spark plug gaps, I just shoves my thumbnail in there. Just about 0.028".

angus67;

Emulsion tube/needle jet- The gold tube with holes
Choke /enricher- That lever/switch thingy on the outside of carb(s)
mixture screw/pilot screw- This weird plastic cap
fender/mudguard- Spray diverter:)))
hood/bonnet- Cover
wrench/spanner- Tool
flashlight/torch- I-fone

Ahh, numerous terms, but w/ this gen I think they make it up as they go:doh:

.... If the last generation was the X gen..... this is the.... Y(why?:D)

angus67;
As much as you try to say the enricher in a mikuni carb cannot be called a choke, the fact remains that Yamaha has the word "Choke" on the plastic handle of the cold start lever. So I guess Yamaha engineers thought it was OK to use the term Choke.

This is how wikipedia describes a Choke:

"Note that the term "choke" is applied to the carburetor's enrichment device even when it works by a totally different method. Commonly, SU carburetors have "chokes" that work by lowering the fuel jet to a narrower part of the needle. Some others work by introducing an additional fuel route to the constant depression chamber."

The last sentence describes mikuni's method.

webbrs and fredintoon;
Since both of you claim that the needle jet and the emulsion tube are separate devices, will either of you post a picture showing these 2 separate items. That picture would then reveal the mistaken belief that some of us think they are in fact only 1 device.

If you think a device shouldn't have 2 names, what about when they have 3 names:

emulsion tube........needle jet.........nozzle.

Yamaha uses "nozzle" and sometimes "main nozzle" in its parts lists.

Hi RG,
nozzles are hollow things, needles are spiky things and the needle jet is the totally different thing that adjusts the slow running.
And Yamaha wrote CHOKE on that handle because ENRICHENER has twice as many letters so it would be too small to read.

Back