Does this leak sound like the clutch push rod seal ?

TurboFarviknugn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So here I am all ready to ride, bike all back together, take about a 8 mile cruise over to the local Jiffy Lube to get my inspection sticker so I can finish my registration, well wen I get there I notice a few little drips of oil. Upon riding back home and getting the bike in the garage I notice the chain is VERY OILY the idler is all oily. I pulled thr left cover and the clutch rod seal is all clean on the bottom side which indicates it has been leaking, BUT would'nt that oil go down or is this normal when that seal goes to leaking ? OR would you suspect the sprocket shaft seal ? I am going to order BOTH but just wanting to know from YOUR experiences.

Oil leak A.jpg

THANKS for your input.

Looks pretty clean below the pushrod seal like it's been leaking. It's not that bad of a job and a good time to upgrade to the one piece rod along with a new bushing and seal. Lot's of good info here on changing those.
I would try re-torquing the sprocket nut if you see any oil comming from that area as many are loose.

Yeah i had planned on doing the seal. USUALLY when the rod seal goes to leaking does the oil usually lube the hell outta the chain or just dribble straight down ?

The less the better. Unfortunately, the newer 2 piece rod moves a lot, too much really. Sometimes even a new seal won't fix the leak. Replace the seal, pushrod bushing, and switch to the long one piece rod. That's the best way to cure the leak. And buy the complete engine seal kit. You'll need most of them eventually and it's cheaper to buy the kit.

Check that the sprocket is tight on the output shaft, a loose sprocket causes the output shaft seal to leak like a sieve. It is easy for the tabs on the inside of the lock washer to be misaligned with the notches on the shaft creating a "false tight" nut.

The only time oil runs straight down is when the bike is parked. As it moves air flowing around and under the bike, oil goes where ever the air moves it.
Leo

Cool ! I got an order of 2 clutch rod, 1 output shaft seals and a bushing for the clutch rod.

GEEZ, mikes shipping is rediclous ! 19.85 for second day shipment of .08 lbs from florida to texas !!!:wtf:

OP when it comes time to shove the seal in make sure to chamfer the hole well or it will peel the little ring off. Most don't the first time round and they leak or blow out. I think that is why everyone says buy 2.

I will be changing seals when they arrive, BUT i rememberes reading about a valve on the vent on top of the head just above the carbs, previously i had just a hose running down below the frame. I said to myself "self could it really be that easy ?" so i made a stop by the local vato zone and picked up a power brake check valve, installed it with a hose going to one of my air filters, wiped up all the oil splatter, took a chance and rode it into work today. VIOLA ! no more leak !

Guessing there is something to that little sucker !!!
:bike:

Just discovered a leak on my bike today. Took of the side cover and it looked very similar to the picture on top here. I also think I have smal leak from my gear shiften-axl. Guess I shuold just buy the complete seal-kit and start changing them all.
I just bought the bike and it seems pretty well kept, but inside the left side cover it was a mess. Is this normal? The picture at the start of this thread is CLEAN compared to mine. Any suggestions other than washing it? How much degreaser can I use inside the side cover (removing the chain first of course)?

Yup dirty black grease mess is normal, lots of degreaser. I like paint thinner, a smaller paint brush and a catch pan just keep slopping it on until you can see metal everywhere. Be a bit careful of the push rod the seal is usually so sloppy some gunk could get inside the engine there. A complete removal, cleaning of the clutch ramp assembly is a good idea, make sure the nylon isn't cracked and grease it up good.

I pull my left side cover and clean it out once a year, most don't. That's why they end up looking like what you found. In fact, that's where I've been all afternoon, lol. My annual "spring clean-up" is a little late this year but it is getting done.

I had already taken the engine to the car wash and cleaned with the degreaser there. I pulled the sprocket had no visable signs fo leakage there so I just changed the clutch pushrod seal and bushing, WAHLAH the leak is all gone.

SORRY for the thread neglect.

Back