Does this leak sound like the clutch push rod seal ?

I have been riding to and from work for almost 3 weeks now, just over 400 mi on the new clock. no new problems, except good ol TEXAS HEAT mornings are great evenings are warm all & all LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT !!!!!

fossi, the shift shaft seal seldom leaks, The push rod seal and the mainshaft seal, behind the sprocket, are the major offenders. The push rod seal is easy nut can be tricky, Mike's XS has a very good how to on replacing the seal and bushing behind it.
The seal behind the sprocket leaks are most often because the sproket nut is loose, many report barely finger tight. Try retorquing the nut too 58 to 82 ft/lbs.
Leo

I'm sorry for stealing your thread, but seems that your home free with the issues TurboFarviknugn. Thanks for the tips. I'll check it out. Just waiting for the seal kit. I think I will replace the short push rod when I' at it. The sprocket nut seems tight, but I havnt tourqe-checked it. I figured I can just change the seal when I'm in there.

On the seal behind the sprocket, there is a sleeve that goes through the seal. This sleeve sets against the main shaft inner bearing race and id held in place by the sprocket. If the sprocket is loose then oil seeps between the bearing race and the sleeve, through the sleeve and out between the sleeve and sprocket. That's the main reason it needs adequate torque.
To change it is easy remove the sprocket, pull the sleeve and you have plenty of room to work, lever out the seal carefully install the new.
Leo

Two more notes on this: I polish the clutch push rod while I ihave it out there is often a slight ridge where the seal sits. It is very easy to have the notched sprocket washer misaligned on the output shaft. That will create a false tight on the sprocket and then the output shaft seal leaks.

Mine leaks too, only drips a few drips on the ground, and keeps the chained lightly oiled, makes the sprockets last longer, mine hardly has wore down since the light coat of oil on it.

I have replaced it a few years back, but has not gotten any worse, so I figure let it be for now, keeps the chain oiled.

Back