Figured I should introduce myself.

batedpigeon79

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all my name is collin 27 i work auto parts sales and delivery in sioux city iowa. This is my first bike and my first major project. Its a 1980 and from what ive been told recently on the forums a special II. I purchase her in 2012 for $160 usd and i now moved into a place that has a garage and now can begin to work on getting it into riding condition. I think I found the right place for help and advise as well as a community to share my future adventures with the bike once its rideable.
FB_IMG_1497146491980.jpg
FB_IMG_1497146519029.jpg
FB_IMG_1497146511872.jpg

vm carbs which means it's been tinkered with.....how much? I feel like we are all about to find out. Welcome to the forum.

Pic's a bit blurry but looks like I can see screw on top type carbs ie non CV carbs, most likely suspect is VM's.

Hi Collin,
like they said, those are aftermarket carbs. Hey, they may even work OK.
Most likely the dreaded PO didn't realize that the EPA-mandated seals over the stock carbs
slow running needles need to be removed to clean the carbs properly so when they started to get dirty and act up he swapped them out.
What I'd advise after you've got the bike running is:-
Lose the rototiller bars and replace them with bars that make ergonomic sense.
Install new tires because yours are too old to be safe even if they look perfect.
Get the seat re-covered.
Think about the smaller front brake master cylinder/stainless brake hose upgrade.

Tires are definitely a first they are to weather checked for use as is. Im surprised the rear tire even holds air. Amd the seat may get swapped for a cafe style and handlebars will probably become more like a drag bar style. Possibly. First off is running and then tires lol.

Drag bars are a bit too low in my opinion and present numerous cable routing problems. My bar of choice is the Euro bar. Very ergonomic and comfortable bend, and lower than any of the stock ones, just not too low.

Motorcycle swapmeets, ebay, riding buddies garages are other good places to look areound. Motorcycle shops....Classifieds here...

As it is your first motorcycle, I recommend you find local motorcycle parts stores such as "cycle gear" or find a destination where riders go. The online shopping may be convenient from home but to get out and see other bikes and converse with motorcyclists will benefit you ! I prefer to learn and source parts in person as motorcyclists generally look out for each other. Just seeing the options say in handlebars for example , will give you satisfaction in your decision. And about those "euro bend" bars, Emgo sells an inexpensive one. And along with the bars, being sporty and narrow, there are bar end mirrors to add . Nice look and even more important , you need good functional mirrors ! Enjoy it -RT

Thanks for the advise timemachine. I plan on checking out my local yamaha store and my other local powersports store. Once i get here done and ready to ride im gonna take her to the powersports dyno in town and see what she makes for power as far as health goes. I believe the 80 made 55hp so my goal is that possibly more if i can tune the carbs well enough and open the exhaust a little bit.

Back