First Bike / Barn Find / Bobber Build Thread

Bootgirl

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have always dreamed of riding a motorcycle and it all fell into place when I came across this bike. During a barbecue, my friends crazy old neighbor came hobbling over from the 1960s with his Grateful Dead tattoos and pirate earrings. In between gravelly commands at his pitbull Lola, he casually mentioned an old motorcycle he was trying to sell. Immediately I asked how much and he replied "almost nothing". When he stated it was a Yamaha XS650, I had no clue of the potential and the following these bikes have. But after visiting this site, I knew it couldn't be passed up. A week and a broken fence later I acquired the bike for $50. And so it begins...

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 288
My eyes rolled into the back of my head when she told me what we'd be restoring. I'm expecting every nut and bolt to fight us. But honestly I'm more stoked that she wants to build her first bike and I'm feeling lucky that she's excited to get her hands dirty.

OK heres the 1000 dollar question does it have a title? If not NJ is one of the hardest states to get one. Nice barn find.
If you need anything MOTOR REBUILD/HARNESS or just a problem you have you can contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM I am just off exit 82 on the Garden State.

You need a pic of that bike WITH the old guy, trust me you will treasure it forever. Buy a can of PB blaster, use it up. Best to soak every nut, bolt, linkage, cable, shaft now. Does it turn over? Sitting "air cleaner off" in bad conditions can be hard on old motors. Water or mouse piss down a cylinder can really up the ante on the path back to a running bike. But if this project flips bootgirls switch all bets are off.
Looks like a 78 or 79 Special. Umm make that "very special" :wink2:

I'm not touching this thing until that seat is off...
She wasn't kidding. I tossed a piece of foam at her and you would have thought it was a poisonous spider. -Greg
IMG_2389_zpsagjfslji.jpg

Thanks guys!
When the front and rear calipers started singing on the push to the trailer, I thought for sure every nut and bolt on this bucket was going to fight us. -Greg
IMG_2393_zpsjq8mhihq.jpg

Beauty is starting to show
So far we've only lost one nut to cross-threading, the RS upper shock mount nut. -Greg
IMG_2402_zpsa2cmbkb6.jpg

Stripped down to the base of our build
So none of the controls are functional, not one. :banghead: The front brake reservoir is filled with something highly water based, the clutch cable has been down and ground, and the throttle cable "fly by wireless". -Greg
IMG_2408_zpsvbpjt0mu.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed the list includes a "carb kit". Save that money most times they just need to be cleaned.
I stay away from Mikes for parts. You can form your own opinions. But read some of the forum posts before sending them money.

OK heres the 1000 dollar question does it have a title?...I am just off exit 82 on the Garden State.
LOL Wouldn't that be nice if our acid dropping seller had a clue where the title was! This is the same guy who misplaced an entire BSA motorbike somewhere in the state of NJ. Thank you for the offering of help here in our home state. It's great to know you're so close by with knowledge and a shoulder to cry on. :thumbsup:

You need a pic of that bike WITH the old guy, trust me you will treasure it forever. Buy a can of PB blaster, use it up. Best to soak every nut, bolt, linkage, cable, shaft now. Does it turn over? Sitting "air cleaner off" in bad conditions can be hard on old motors. Water or mouse piss down a cylinder can really up the ante on the path back to a running bike. But if this project flips bootgirls switch all bets are off.
Looks like a 78 or 79 Special. Umm make that "very special" :wink2:
Maybe we can get the guy to stand next to the completed bike, but only after Boots gets the new title in her name because I don't trust him any farther than I can throw his wobbly ass after he told three different versions of how he got the bike.

I've had all the bolts, nuts and random wood screws soaking since I dragged the bike into the garage, tires sliding, brakes locked, and seat foam blowing around in the wind. I read through the FAQ and took that advice to heart, so it hasn't been kicked over yet.

I gotta tell you, the last thing I expected to do this summer was THIS project. But she is amped up and that's worth every stuck bolt, busted knuckle and Benjamin.

IMG_2412_zpsmhjssot2.jpg

Hours of polishing and I still have lots to go
IMG_2424_zpsha7rdpg6.jpg

Greg was astonished at the amount of metal in the filter, guess its time to order more
I didn't know whether to laugh, gawk or cry, but I give this crummy little filter credit for staying in the fight. -Greg
IMG_2432_zpsflizfp0s.jpg

Disassembled my first set of carbs today, I have a newfound appreciation for magnetic tip screwdrivers
Boots opened up the carbs and much to my surprise there was nothing besides air in there. I thanked the carb gods for that little victory. -Greg
IMG_2444_zpsiduz98wg.jpg

Gonna preserve this natural look
IMG_2463_zpswxuzmcev.jpg

Got a good collection going
I think the headlight is going to become an accent light for our shed bar. -Greg
IMG_2470_zpsneolc5cj.jpg

That's a lot of metal in that filter. You may want to start pulling that motor apart before you get too CRAZY and with no title I would start looking for new frame. I am waiting for a title from NJ for one year two months and still don't have it and never will. NJ dropped there inspection and with that you can apply for title but they claim it needs to be inspected before they will issue one DUH!!! NO INSPECTION.
I can get you a frame with title for $400.00 and I have a motor for $450.00 that turns
Good luck with your build

That was part of tonights plan, we removed the sump and worked on the electrical. Both filters are ordered.
LOOK at that magnetic field! -Greg
IMG_2488_zpsnaqoct53.jpg

I legit didn't know what I was looking at on first glance. -Greg
IMG_2486_zps5yn9kyvs.jpg

Once I figured out that sludge was years of neglect, all I could do was laugh and curse the previous owners. -Greg
IMG_2485_zpsdrsemnl0.jpg

Electrons are flowing! -Greg
IMG_2482_zpsvx6w0sun.jpg

you need a new sump sieve. The side sieve is cleanable, as is the sump. There are threads here that show you how to fix the rip. Most of us keep a second set of "filters" so that at oil change, we can just throw them in without cleaning, and clean the dirty one at our leisure.

...NJ dropped there inspection and with that you can apply for title but they claim it needs to be inspected before they will issue one DUH!!! NO INSPECTION...

I just got the "Improper Evidence of Ownership Procedure" package from NJ State in the mail, but none of the 12 steps require an inspection. Where are you seeing that requirement?

Frankly though, I'm thinking the VT title route will be easier. So far I'm counting 4 notarized documents, the newspaper notice, countless forms that need to be mailed via registered mail, and then there's the $60 fee to NJ. :thumbsdown:

You could use these people I am going to try them.
http://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html
I did just what you are going to do a year ago and still have no title. They send me paper that says complete this and return and its for inspection. I paid the $60.00 and newspaper adds and sumited it all and just gave up. I even went to a DMV in north jersey that a guy told me he got his and they said no. I called TRENTON and lady on phone said can't help got to wait. HAHA a year later and still no title.
Good luck hope it works for you. I trashed frame and got one with title. I have three frames all need title .

I got a title for my cb750 project that had no title from the one in Sicklerville,just went when they were fairly slow as dmv workers seem to get very grumpy when they have to actually work more then once every so often.

When was this? Last year I went to RIO GRANDE/DEPFORD/PLEASANTVILLE/and called TRENTON and all said NO got to do paperwork and file in News paper. I hear these story's all the time and when I go they say that never happened. It use to be easy to just go and fill some paper work out and away you go with a title but since they went onto the computer most states changed there laws. I have a legit NJ TITLE that the front has nothing wrong on it but the back was scribbled on and NJ VOIDED the title. They tell me I have to track down the original owner and pay $60.00 to get another. IS THAT SCREWED UP!!!
I used International Title for over 20 years and got many titles from them until the owner sold the business and then MASS and RI would not deal with them and the new owner took peoples money and LEFT. I lost $1200 and had 9 titles in RI that I could not get because the fee was not paid. So now there is this new one and I don't know much about them but I am going to give them a try with two frames $150. each. So if you don't have a owners card or some sort of a copy of the title or the guy who was the last owner FORGET NJ unless you got plenty of time to wait. Pay the $60. PAY for news Paper adds Send papers back and forth and then still NO TITLE because the last step is INSPECTION......NJ YOU DUMB ASSES THERE IS NO BIKE INSPECTION!!!!

Last edited:
Oh I know the hassle on a few others I had to pretty much give a arm,a leg,both nuts,first 3 children and hope they would do their job.I got my cb titled back in Feb,and honestly did not expect it too.Took several hours,the lady made a bunch of phone calls for me (whoa they did something for the customer?!?!).Seen it was not stolen and got the info from the PO and contacted him,he stated all this and that he lost the title and bam left with one after about 5 hours there.

I have also heard there is a company that does motorcycle inspections still in Jersey and might be a way to get passed that crap with them,but I do not know much more then just word of mouth about them.

I noticed the list includes a "carb kit". Save that money most times they just need to be cleaned.
I stay away from Mikes for parts. You can form your own opinions. But read some of the forum posts before sending them money.

Me too. I learned the hard way. Just search the forum for the stories. Welcome to the club bootgirl!

Back