Fool's Errand?

Beags64

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Craig and his list got me again! Stumbled across this and couldn't just leave it alone, add said "1970ish Yamaha 650". Contacted the guy for pics and info, next thing I know this ends up in the garage. DOH!!
The Good-
'71 appears to be about 90% there
Tank & mufflers seem solid, some rust but solid
9648mi showing on clock
The Bad-
No title
Motor stuck
Carbs stuck
Tranny???
The Ugly- 20171223_172325.jpg 20171223_172535.jpg
Don't seem to have the room and/or time for all the other things I've already got going on.
Oh well, worst case I'm only into it for $100.

You can always sell the front wheel and triple your money. This is a bike parts "Gold Mine"!!

Looks majorly restorable to me! Michigan is an easy title state. Frozen motor's no big deal in the overall scheme of a full restoration.

Got the motor "soaking" already. The guy I got it from runs an auto repair shop, said a customer dropped it off about 10yrs ago 'cause it wasn't running right. He says he messed with it for about 15min and figured out the left cylinder was "dead?". Hasn't seen or heard from the guy who dropped it off since, got sick of moving it around his shop and said "Get it outta here".
Just gonna take my time, give everything the once over twice and see what happens. Might just end up with a nice survivor in the end.

Good.

Keep soaking it, pop it up on the centre stand and try jogging it with the back wheel in 5th gear - you might get lucky. That actually worked with Lucille whose clutch was stuck tighter than a Scotsman’s wallet.

The dead cylinder could be something as simple as a bad plug wire or a loose spark plug cap etc.

Looks like you’ve got yourself a ballgame there!

Pete

Restore...restore...restore.... from the fuzzy photos fork tubes look rusty..?... a proper restoration . But..if you don't want to strip it to the frame.. rebuild the engine... hours behind the buffer... $$$$ handed to the chrome dude... $$$$ handed to the painter.... (Em I wear'n ya down ? :) ) $$$$ handed to Mike's XS.. $$$ misc at the hardware store.... Or..... address the majors... seal the tank.. get decent shocks from Hagon's (they have a great set of shield units ..that work ! .. paint to match).. and have a very nice 10 footer. OR ! ....
I'll trip up to Michigan (never been there) and be more then happy to take the burden off your shoulders.

Beags,
Try pulling the generator cover and have a look. When I picked up my '75, I thought the motor was stuck too. Turns out the generator was all corroded to the point it had "glued" itself to the stator. I got on the crank bolt with a wrench and 'bonked' on it with a rubber mallet and cracked it loose, at which point the motor spun just fine. The carbs had the crust of gasoline left to turn to shellac. After disassembly, and a bath in "the dip", they're just fine. I had a "dead cylinder" also, caused by a bad coil. With all the PMA conversions going on, perfectly good coils are plentiful & cheap. All is not lost! You've got a diamond in the rough there, not many unmolested specimens out there anymore. And so what if you don't have the time? It's sat for the last 10 years! A few more won't hurt... Keep us posted!

Well at least I know the tranny shifts. Let cylinders soak over night, clicked her up into 5th gear, rocked back and forth a few times and things started moving fairly easy. Now for the rub, crank rolls over, pistons move enough to push soak oil out plug holes, but alas no camshaft rotation!
Not hearing any rattlin' or noise from cam chain and no loud pops when thing broke loose (only took 2 or 3 rocks to get thing moving). Now things are getting interesting.

Gary called it. Dropped the sump plate/filter, and although I don't claim to be the brightest star in the sky, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be able to see the "ends" of the cam chain!

and have a very nice 10 footer.
What does that mean?
Also I checked out Hagon www site. Do they have length of shocks, like I want to get something to make my ride height a fuz shorter than stock configuration.

Last edited:
Back