HELP! Front forks, speedo unit ?

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I need some help. I went to attach the Speedo drive unit today and I can't seem to get it to sit in the correct spot. If I rotate it so it points towards the back of the bike then the cable nut hits against the fork tube. And if I try to shim it over the brake rotor is hiting the side of the brake housing. This is the first time I've really tried to get the front fork pieces all put together. Are these even XS650 forks? Are they on the bike in the correct direction or do I need to switch the sides? Should the brake caliper be between the fork and bike frame or out front? Hope someone here can help.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Picture5.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Picture6.jpg
    Picture6.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 119
I just went out and looked at 4 different XS650s and none of mine have lower legs that look like yours. 74, 79 and two 1983s.

PS. On all of mine the brakes are on the right.

Last edited:
The front and rear wheels match so I think they are stock, specially since the rear is the drum brake but I'm confused by the rest of it.

Great :banghead: now where do I go from here? I tell you the rear looks like a legitimate XS drum brake setup. Now that I'm at the final steps with this beast I'm wondering how much of a Frankenstein I have.

The forks are them already powder coated but would they be stamped somewhere that I could look? The top of these forks have a air valve for adding air to them.

No XS had air valves when stock. Maybe you should look at speedo drives from an early XJ. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but don't most all Yamahas use the same ratio?

Here's a picture of the rear wheel. I did some google searching and it looks like this might be a Yamaha maxim rim and forks. Now need to figure out what year so that I can make sure that this is setup properly.

Attachments

• RearWheel.jpg
    RearWheel.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 129
Looks like these are all maxim rims and forks. I'm trying to join the XJ site to see if there is a way to identify the year, etc.

Back