How to Polish Your Valve Covers

Sorry for hijacking your thread Leggers, deleted my posts. Hopefully, Bosco will do the same.

Last edited:
Sorry for hijacking your thread Leggers, deleted my posts. Hopefully, Bosco will do the same.

Don't think leggers is going to be to concerned. Been near 4 years since he signed in.

If you want to delete a post hit the delete button and the whole post disappears.

I like to start with paint stripper and then black (coarse) buffing compound on the coarse buffing wheel, switch to white on the soft wheel done, no paper needed. A set of 4 takes about 1/2 hour. I have a Harbor Fright 3/4 buffer and it's the bomb for some buffing. I want to go up to a bigger buffer but am waiting for a "deal". Various grades of coumpound work but you need to keep wheels and compounds separate. Great video! I prefer a full face shield when using the buffing wheel, the compound filled cotton fluff the wheel sheds are not good for eyes OR lungs.
This was my one question, These have a clear coat on them that many people have to take the coarse grit to in order to remove if not using paint stripper right? On other bikes, I have removed faded clear coat with jet paint remover, then started sanding/buffing. However on the other bike I did, I did not polish cause it would look funny the way the rest of the bike was. My xs650 is in better shape so polishing is on the table.

Then when polished, dont you need to clear coat them again or the aluminum will just oxidize again?

Depends a bit on storage and operating conditions?
For my use an occasional buff up with blue magic (it has some wax in the formula) is all I have needed for decades and 10s of thousands of miles.
But I also have some parts that were powdercoated clear decades ago that still look great ( not QUITE as shiny as bare polished aluminum)

People use the paint stripper and expect the coating to disappear or hose off with water. It doesn't really work like that, well at least not for me. It does soften the coating good enough to scrub away with wet Scotch-Brite, steel wool or your first course buffing. Anyways, it is well worth using the paint stripper first.

Last edited:
the clear coat changed in the mid seventies, the older stuff, lacquer mebby, comes off easy, the newer stuff, some sort of poly mebby, is much more stubborn.
What’s the best way to get the new stuff off? As suggested above paint stripper? Can’t get the nasty stuff up here anymore. Is it available in the US? Will vapour blasting remove it? Thx.

What’s the best way to get the new stuff off? As suggested above paint stripper? Can’t get the nasty stuff up here anymore. Is it available in the US? Will vapour blasting remove it? Thx.
I think I recently did the "tough stuff" on two '81 Hondas. I used the eco friendly citrus stuff. Applied a heavy coat with a brush before going to breakfast, then another heavy coat on top of the first before going to lunch. It scrubbed away with Scotch-Brite and a hose about two hours after last application. My covers were in bad shape with the deep black spots, so the Scotch-Brite was a good start. Worked well, sausage biscuits and cheeseburgers at McDonald's didn't hurt.

I think I recently did the "tough stuff" on two '81 Hondas. I used the eco friendly citrus stuff. Applied a heavy coat with a brush before going to breakfast, then another heavy coat on top of the first before going to lunch. It scrubbed away with Scotch-Brite and a hose about two hours after last application. My covers were in bad shape with the deep black spots, so the Scotch-Brite was a good start. Worked well, sausage biscuits and cheeseburgers at McDonald's didn't hurt.
Thx. I didn’t think the eco friendly stuff would be so effective.

I wasted 25 minutes of my life watching this vid on paint strippers. Results start at 21:00 ‘ish. Not used on m/c clear coat but still gives you an idea of effectiveness of each brand.

Back