I bought the Dime City Brat Seat

drewfunk

Purveyor of fine flannels
Reaction score
I found the Dime City Brat Seat a while back but it was never in stock, until a week ago when i got an email saying they got them into their store. So i ordered one immediately to see how she'd fit. Well, it doesnt fit, at least not yet. But the seat itself is fantastic and very high quality. Here are some pics, and the immediate issue i have.

EzTopw4.jpg

op33tWV.jpg

Here's it sitting in its approximate position:
2njj9Vg.jpg

And here is the biggest fitment problem:
V4Q5NUQ.jpg

That pesky gas tank mount! It's very obtrusive, and i cant think of a way around it unless i just cut off the mount, would that be so terrible? Any tips on how i should fit this thing on would be great. I'm pretty sure i'm the first person on here to order this seat, so hopefully this helps some people out :)

I plan on cutting mine off to better fab a seat pan. I was going to put some industrial Velcro in the tunnel so it didn't rattle or move around too much. My thinking was that if it came loose from that AND the front mounts, worse things were probably happening...

I also would appreciate input on removing the tab.

Those were my thoughts, the tank is wedged into those cups pretty solidly. I could probably rework that mount to be lower profile as well.

I promise to take some better pictures when i find the charger for my Canon :doh:

Cool seat, I like that a lot. I've have great luck with Dime City Cycles. Their shipping (in my experience) has been incredibly fast.

Not to get off topic, but I must say, Dime City has been nothing but excellent to me. They are always quick with shipping and answering questions.

Don't like to drag up an old thread, but has anyone come to any resolution on this? I've got the Dime City seat as well for my 82 and I'm having similar fitting issues. Haven't really played around with it much yet, but some insight before hand would be awesome. Don't really know what to do about that gas tank tab.

Also, +1 for Dime City. They are great.

In for a solution.

may be too simple but looking at the pictures could you not cut the original mount off at the crease and wield a L shaped flange on to this one either side to miss the top rail and fix the tank rear down UNDER the bracket shown in the picture with two smaller headed bolts which would fit below/under the seat pan ???

just looking agian this may involve drilling a slot on the bar/bracket attached to the frame narrowing it slghtly but this shouldnt hurt the structual part of it so long as you take the bare minimum off too achieve the slot for the flanges on the tank to pass through and clip under this should give a really ridged fix as it will be bolted down both sides of the top tube and trapped between the frame and the adapted braket then slice off the old huge fixing to give the seat line a straight run to the frame

That seat has always appeared to me as more of a universal flat seat. I don't own one, but I've made a few similar to it. The way the tank mounts on the xs is particularly annoying for anyone trying to put a flat seat on. What really needs to happen is for the front of the seat pan to have a flange to clear the tank mount, and have the foam built up to that height so that after being covered you can't tell there's a flange underneath.

...good luck finding one for sale though...:shrug:

I loosened the upholstery up front and cut the base of the seat. I cut it the same shape as the tank bracket (little bigger though), removed about half the thickness of the foam above the tank bracket and then folded the upholstery back almost as it where from the beginning but with some slack.

DSC_5093.jpg

hell yeah, that's what I'm looking for Mandit. If you have the time, it would be awesome if you could give a little more detail about how you opened the seat up and how you modded it. Looks so awesome. beautiful bike man. I love it.

hell yeah, that's what I'm looking for Mandit. If you have the time, it would be awesome if you could give a little more detail about how you opened the seat up and how you modded it. Looks so awesome. beautiful bike man. I love it.

Everything is just glued under so just pull. Loosen longer, much longer, than you're gonna cut cause you want some margin and the aluminium gets hot. When finished glue things back.

Thanks! I mounted another tank now though, but I kept the "rod" for the original tank bracket under the seat in case I wanna alter between tanks.

Welcome . That is a real nice ride. Seat looks great.

Many thanks!

it almost looks like the frame was cut and welded. I bought this seat as well but i think mine is completely flat. The bike looks awesome man!! well done.

Back