I need to know what year bike to buy??

natemx231

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to this site. I'm from Denver and wanting to build a cafe racer. I raced motocross for 20 years and I feel a cafe XS650 fits my style. I have spent a day reading allot of good post and feel this site can provide a ton of knowledge!

A couple questions I have is I want disks brake front and rear with mag wheels. I want to put a 750cc kit with allot of other motor mods. I want the bike to feel real sporty. I found a couple cool sites to buy products like Mololanna.com and Mikesxs.com. What year bike is a good year to start out with?

Thanks, nate

Hello everyone I'm new to this site. I'm from Denver and wanting to build a cafe racer. I want disk brakes front and rear with mag wheels. What year bike is a good year to start out with? Thanks, Nate

Narrows it right down.... Either a 1978 XS 650 SE... 1979 XS 650 SF or 1980 XS 650 SG. The 1st, 2nd & 3rd years of the "Specials" . Some commonly available models. BOL, Blue

Last edited:
If I can't find this specific bike what do I have to add a rear disk? I have access to a full metal shop. Mill and Lathe etc.

Here's some pics and a write up. 78 SE & 79 SF are much the same. The 80 SG's a little different but not much. Blue

Attachments

• 78_650special_3_600.jpg
    78_650special_3_600.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 166
  • custom1.jpg
    custom1.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 196
  • custom2.jpg
    custom2.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 155
  • custom3.jpg
    custom3.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 190
  • custom4.jpg
    custom4.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 171
  • custom5.jpg
    custom5.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 168
If you are changing the foot pegs than changing to a rear disk mag involves the wheel rotor swing arm and caliper a little bracket building and add your own master cylinder. A disk mag set up complete can probably be had for around $100.00 less if you are patient. 78, 79 specials are plentiful and fairly cheap. Welcome aboard.

This is somewhat the look I'm looking for. This is a '82 650 Maxim. Cool bike just not a fan of the shaft drive or 4 cylinder

Attachments

• yamaguzzibobber2.jpg
    yamaguzzibobber2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 185
The Maxim is a more butch looking bike. The xs is petite and elegant. No, seriously....

They are all good years, 80+ have electronic ignition, which is an improvement over points.(debatable by old timers who do not like change). Pamco pete makes an electronic ignition that adresses the points issue of the older bikes, but is also available as an upgrade to the newer bikes as well. 73 and older also are more flex prone in the frame department, so if you ride hard you might want a newer one. The aluminum "mag" style wheels can be easily swapped in, with just minor fab work needed to mount a rear master cylinder for the disc brake, also there is always someone wanting spokes so don't pass up a good deal because of the wheels.

They are all good years, 80+ have electronic ignition, which is an improvement over points.(debatable by old timers who do not like change). Pamco pete makes an electronic ignition that adresses the points issue of the older bikes, but is also available as an upgrade to the newer bikes as well. 73 and older also are more flex prone in the frame department, so if you ride hard you might want a newer one. The aluminum "mag" style wheels can be easily swapped in, with just minor fab work needed to mount a rear master cylinder for the disc brake, also there is always someone wanting spokes so don't pass up a good deal because of the wheels.

Thanks for the great info. I'll save that sight if I buy a post '80 bike.

Back