I want to abuse a motorcycle

mm1ut1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Since I became a “Responsible “ motorcycle rider I have always treated my bikes with a restrained wrist, riding a sensible speed, and putting minimal stress on man and machine. I have recently entertained the thought of buying a disposable motorcycle and beating the crap out of it.
18441915-995A-4476-A39F-A038F91EF403.jpeg

Well a guy can dream......

I don't know about "abusing" my motorcycle, but on most rides I abuse the hell out of the speed limit signs. Yeah, I know, it's going to bite me on the ass one day, but I'm pretty selective about when and where I do it.

With the FJ, there's no need to red line it, and I don't do clutch wheelies or burnouts or any of that squidly stuff but I do ride fast and use the brakes, tires and throttle in a manner more sporting than conservative.

If I just wanted to putt around and smell the roses I'd have a 'Wang or something.

There's a lot of truth in the saying that "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow."

Since I became a “Responsible “ motorcycle rider I have always treated my bikes with a restrained wrist, riding a sensible speed, and putting minimal stress on man and machine. I have recently entertained the thought of buying a disposable motorcycle and beating the crap out of it.
View attachment 186218
Well a guy can dream......

What sort of bike is that mm1ut1?

That is a Husqvarna Svartpilen 401. It is essentially a KTM motor. I believe KTM bought Husqvarna, but I would not consider that a disposable bike. If you research it there are some nice performance parts on it. I believe Ryan Fnine did a video on it. They also make a 701 bike too. I've been looking at those for a while, but they are a bit on the rare side and not easily found.

Same motor as the KTM 390 and 690 Duke bikes.

That is a Husqvarna Svartpilen 401. It is essentially a KTM motor. I believe KTM bought Husqvarna, but I would not consider that a disposable bike. If you research it there are some nice performance parts on it. I believe Ryan Fnine did a video on it. They also make a 701 bike too. I've been looking at those for a while, but they are a bit on the rare side and not easily found.

Same motor as the KTM 390 and 690 Duke bikes.

Ahhhhh....I am NOT an expert on them, but from what I have heard, the KTMs are dynamite on the road but they are a bit fragile and expensive to own.

Last edited:
WOW - I just read that article Bob - and I am going to keep it just in case I ever have an urge to buy a HusDucUzziKTM. In fact, if I ever mention doing that (i.e. buying an exotic) - perhaps one of you American chaps would be good enough to come up here and shoot me - to preserve what is left of my family fortune for my offspring.

What a tale of woe - and really bad customer care on the part of Husqvarna and the stealership where the poor guy bought that PoS.

What is more amazing is that Husqvarna and BMW (who reportedly built the engine of the bike in the story that Mailman posted) are both very fine engineering firms with a century or more of excellent products in their past.

I've 'ad two Huskies neither got within even a long winters work of running.
Fortunately their were others with even bigger stars in their eyes than me.
Don't you eat that yellow snow - Frank Zappa.
You want disposable? Buy big displacement with road rash. Cheap, very capable, and less likely to spit you off during a moment's inattention. Not to mention the 1000cc gentleman's express will allow your old body to ride it for more than 5 minutes. But certainly will still be enough to scare you.
There's a reason the XS650 is so popular, once slightly hotrodded it's that sweet spot of being fun to ride at speeds that won't require bail money later in the day.

1200 Bandits are an excellent toy. ;^)

Last edited:
Right in your neighborhood @mm1ut1
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/d/mequon-fz-09/7286462802.html
FZ-09 - $6,500 (Mequon)
image 1 of 4
00u0u_dTQls1Gplaoz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00b0b_g47AW154jUBz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00E0E_MyWAdATKbDz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00D0D_eqCRpkCaSX1z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

2017 Yamaha fz09

condition: excellent
fuel: gas
odometer: 1971
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: standard

Low mileage, shorty levers, M4 exhaust, fender eliminator,heated grips, mt-09 comfort seat and windshield. I barely ever take it out. I ride the harley way more than I should for owning multiple bikes. Think it's time to part with it.

Or;
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/d/brookfield-2010-bmw-s1000rr/7284132885.html
may hold value over time......

I was able to find this great article about the joys ( or not ) of owning an exotic motorcycle. I had read this a long time ago and it stuck with me. In the case of this article it was a Husqvarna.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/seven-lessons-learned-from-owning-an-exotic-motorcycle

Excellent article. Don't quite know why riding motorbikes has been such a big part of my life? Maybe because I grew up on the back of me Mum's motorbikes? It's what I do. But riding bikes involves owning bikes, which involves buying bikes. And sometimes selling them too. And that's where I have all too often been a lot less than sensible.

Tend to end up with, uhm, less obvious bikes. Probably the most exotic bike I ever bought and yes, I went out and bought it brand spanking new - what ever possessed me - was a Vertemati Supermoto. 500cc, 60 BHP, revved to 10,000 and boy it loved to rev, weighed hardly anything, went like stink. Top-drawer White Power suspension, including 50mm forks. Kick-only, and the kick-start rotated forward, not back like every other bike I've ever seen. Which actually made sense when you used it.

It was the roadified version of a very successful motocross race bike. Limits to the handling? Are you insane?

Unusual? Just after I bought it, reading one of the monthlies, probably Bike or Performance Bikes, the journo wrote that he had a Vertemati Supermoto on test and it was the only one in the country. Phoned the magazine and put him right about that - needless to say, he wasn't interested.

There was just the one UK dealer, who was by-and-large fairly helpful. Ran a Vertemati motocross team, with his son as #1 rider. But very largely, buy something as rare and exotic as that and you're pretty much on your own. Serves you right for not following the herd?

Very light and powerful engine, extensive use of exotic materials, such as super-hard Copper-Beryllium tappets. But no oil pump. Which I found out when the motor seized. Apparently, lubrication on an exotic motocross racer relied on fluctuations in crankcase pressure as the rider wildly went full-throttle - snapped shut - full-throttle again. They must have thought a supermoto would be used in the same way? Maybe in a supermoto race it would? But they sold this as a road bike! So perhaps I was their development rider . . . ?

Vertemati replaced that first engine. The second engine had a minor oil leak due to a porous casting - fixed that with araldite. But I could kind of see that the little 500 and me weren't gonna have a long-term relationship.

Sold it to a bloke who must have been curious about this exotic bike? Or maybe just as daft as me? Heck, I even told him about the lack of oil pump and need to open & close the throttle . . .

Perhaps fortunately, he came and collected the bike on a pick up. Good job there's sometimes an even bigger idiot out there.

I've been 100000% pleased with my 2018 Husky 701SM. When compared to the highly modified 2008 XR650L it replaced, it's a total joy - even bone stock it was. Now that it has an Arrow pipe, better filtration, a secondary air system delete, and a few other bits and bobs, it's a night and day comparison. The XRL was amazing, but to get it even CLOSE to the Husky cost me a LOT of time and money. Was a bit sad to see it go because it was a fun bike in its own right, but it sure is nice to not have to futz with carbs anymore...

That 401 Svartpilen above is built in India - Bajaj is part of the holding company that owns KTM as well. They're great bikes, no issues like the old ones. Higher production numbers so the corresponding dealer parts availability is much different than low number bikes in the 70s/80s and on. The bigger displacement bikes are made in Austria at the KTM facility.

Back