Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Thanks! Is that about where the balance point is or is that machine-dependent? I guess the gantry/carriage position probably has a lot to do with it.

Thanks! Is that about where the balance point is or is that machine-dependent? I guess the gantry/carriage position probably has a lot to do with it.
yup it will be over near the headstock fershur. gotta be careful cuz they will turtle if you let em get away from you.
Getting your lift points locked in ABOVE the machine is helpful to counter it wanting to go upside down. IIRC right after this pic I was easily able to lift and slide the tail of the machine over to the new table. Think I worked by myself for this operation. Outcome was never in doubt. but like mentioned planning for the hoist legs getting under what you need to lift is complicated, a bit frustrating. Long story but this lathe went over getting it out of the PO's basement door down onto a soft lawn. :doh: Soft lawn both, cause and savior of the situation.
Basic physics but I've seen it ignored that the tipping point is located at the highest position of the lift arm, real easy to tip over a cherry picker with sideways pulling when the arm is up. keep the arm down as close to the load as possible, no long slings. :eek:

Had this jack for 50 years, how is that possible for a young guy like me?
KIMG0200.JPG
Darned cheap American made stuff, it no longer would hold a load for long, settled pretty quickly.
It's lived a hard life, used/abused at my home center business and work shops for 30 years.
A Blackhawk SJ2, built right here in Baraboo. This one was a Johnny Cash back door/lunch bucket special, built in someone's garage out of stolen parts.
remember having bought it at a "below market" price LOL
So went looking and yup no problem finding a rebuild kit.
KIMG0202.JPG
Going to get a bit of straightening, replace, make some bolts, parts that had never been correct.
It's kind of amazing it hadn't busted long ago.
Clean off some rust and a coat of paint
When I'm done it should outlive me by a long shot.

Had this jack for 50 years, how is that possible for a young guy like me?
View attachment 203710
Darned cheap American made stuff, it no longer would hold a load for long, settled pretty quickly.
It's lived a hard life, used/abused at my home center business and work shops for 30 years.
A Blackhawk SJ2, built right here in Baraboo. This one was a Johnny Cash back door/lunch bucket special, built in someone's garage out of stolen parts.
remember having bought it at a "below market" price LOL
So went looking and yup no problem finding a rebuild kit.
View attachment 203711
Going to get a bit of straightening, replace, make some bolts, parts that had never been correct.
It's kind of amazing it hadn't busted long ago.
Clean off some rust and a coat of paint
When I'm done it should outlive me by a long shot.

That’s pretty cool! It reminds me of those restoration videos that Pete got me hooked on, on YouTube. Nothing more satisfying than watching someone take an old relic and make it look and work like new again! :)

Received an unexpected and VERY generous gift card from Home Depot. Oh, dear, whatever shall I do?

{Kotter} Ooooo, ooooo, ooooo, I know! {/Kotter}

More tools! But what tool(s)?

I guess I'll have to hit the Homer Store, wander around and see what speaks to me.

Darn...
ooh.jpg

Last edited:
Received an unexpected and VERY generous gift card from Home Depot. Oh, dear, whatever shall I do?

{Kotter} Ooooo, ooooo, ooooo, I know! {/Kotter}

More tools! But what tool(s)?

I guess I'll have to hit the Homer Store, wander around and see what speaks to me.

Darn...View attachment 204081
get wife a new kitchen. 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

Me... I'd just start walking down the tool aisles and start grabbin' all the little stuff you always need but never have enough of.... then forget all about when you're at the store.
8" c-clamps, machinist square... wire rolls for the MIG, tape measures (if I had 20 of 'em, I still couldn't find one to save my ass), an extra drill, more batteries, a nice big drill index.... and that's just halfway down the first aisle.

Just put snows on the skid steer the other day using the Milwaukee, 4 wheels 8 big lug nuts each, some of those wheels haven't been off in the 20 years I've owned it. Not a single problem, all off and back on with plenty of battery left when I was done. Not fighting air hose out in the cold driveway, priceless.
I was using a plain 12 point 1" socket (gulp) but went and bought a deep 6 point impact for next spring when I change them back.

I've been contemplating a Evolution cold cut chop saw. Have the porta-band and a Milwaukee abrasive chop saw so don't really NEED it, but they sure look cool (arrrrrrr...humor!) Still mulling that one over.

I have 18v LiMH Milwaukee tools, including a 1/4 impact. Not sure moving up to a 1/2 would be cost effective as I don't do a lot of heavy work and 99% of the time if the 1/4 won't crack it, I start it with a ratchet and then spin it out with the 1/4. Still contemplating that one as well. Plenty of extra batteries on hand.

A new drill index is a good idea, along with some extra blades for the porta-band and some cutoff discs and flap wheels for the 4.5 grinders.

Going to town this morning to visit with daughter after her second surgery yesterday. I'll swing by HD and wander around.

Pitiful. Just Pitiful.

I spent an hour wandering around HD and managed to spend the whopping sum of $42.

A 3 pack of extra blades for the porta-band, a couple plastic parts boxes and a small bag of potting soil.

Looked at a retractable cord reel but they just had the big ones in stock, they're out of the smaller ones. Occurred to me on the way home that if I mount it in the corner between the ceiling and the wall I could make the big one work without whacking my gourd on it every time I walked by it.

Next time I'm in town...

Back