JD2 Model 3 bender

Ironsled77

XS650 GRAND HACK
Reaction score
Another craigslist score! Picked it up yesterday. It came with 5 dies. I need 1 inch for making bars...I came with one but the clr is way to big. So my question is what clr are you guys using? The tightest one possible? I can't decide which one to get and at 175 bucks I only want to buy it once!

On another note the guy gave me "spare parts" that he thought went with the bender. Anyone have any idea what it is!? Looks to me like some sort of press??

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2011-09-20_17-19-10_633.jpg
    2011-09-20_17-19-10_633.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 959
And the machine/tool in question...

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2011-09-20_17-18-05_494.jpg
    2011-09-20_17-18-05_494.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 2011-09-20_17-18-20_15.jpg
    2011-09-20_17-18-20_15.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 297
I used to have that bender. You will be very happy with it. Not sure what that other part is for.

other part might be the attachment to receive the hydraulic cylinder when converting it to a power bender

how much did you get it for? I been wanting one for ever now, but never come across them at all, and cant justify the new price for how little ill be using it.

I got it for peanuts considering it came with 5 dies. It dint have stand or degree wheel. I am about 90% sure the over thing has nothing to do with the bender. No w I need to sell some parts to gt a die!

Posted via Mobile

So im going to go with the 1 inch w/ 3 inch clr. I was reading up on it and it is calling for a delrin follow block to bend stainless. Is this mandatory? I have 20 feet of stainless for bars and don't want to mess it up. Can the special follow be used on mild steel?

Posted via Mobile

Also as I said earlier it didn't come with the degree wheel...I was thinking of getting a digital degree level from sears. Do you guys think this will work?

Posted via Mobile

Also as I said earlier it didn't come with the degree wheel...I was thinking of getting a digital degree level from sears. Do you guys think this will work?

Posted via Mobile

Nice find!

I have a Harbor Freight angle finder that i'm pretty happy with.

wv4i00.jpg

33c2gk8.jpg

Wow that took a long time to make a bend! haha I was told it might possibly be an old school broach what ever that is. So you dont have a dergree wheel on your bender? Just the digital one? I have to price out the wheel I guess. Anyone have any input on the delrin follow block?

Wow that took a long time to make a bend! haha I was told it might possibly be an old school broach what ever that is. So you dont have a dergree wheel on your bender? Just the digital one? I have to price out the wheel I guess. Anyone have any input on the delrin follow block?

I just ordered the JMR bender, I should have it monday and it does come with a degree wheel, however, the angle gauge helps when you bend in the same plane when doing multiple bends. Its also useful when notching and trying to achieve a notch on each end of a tube with fishmouths that will be in the same plane.

I believe the delrin follower is to prevent the SS from being gouged up. I see no reason you couldn't use it on mild steel.

So im going to go with the 1 inch w/ 3 inch clr. I was reading up on it and it is calling for a delrin follow block to bend stainless. Is this mandatory? I have 20 feet of stainless for bars and don't want to mess it up. Can the special follow be used on mild steel?

Posted via Mobile

The dies and followers can get marred up very easily, and any imperfections in these will be transferred to the tube you're bending. With stainless that's even more apparent because most people tend to leave it raw. Thus why they want a delrin follower so it won't leave marks. Trust me, even the smallest of imperfections will cause big ugly scratches in your nice stainless tube.

Yes clean the tube well before bending and use white lithum grease on the follower block.

Regarding angle measurements, here's my plane of bend bracket that I got from Captinfab on Pirate4x4.

pob.jpg

I have this digital angle finder box which is just like Turbobilly's and this helps with keeping your bends on the correct plane when multiple bends are involved.

I have the Pro Tools degree wheel on my bender that I use when making the bend and a harbor freight digital angle level that I use to check the bend once I pull it out of the bender. It's accurate to the 1/10th of a degree. I happy with it.

I find that the degree wheel on the bender gives me the repeatability in my bends to fractions of a degree. The hardest part is figuring how how much spring back you're going to get for the bend. Anyone have the bend-tech software that helps you figure all of that out? I'm tempted to try it but haven't really bent up anything too complicated yet.

I really need to post some pictures or a video of my bender.. it's ridiculously awesome. Complete overkill for what I need but I had fun building it.

Post them up Travis! I wonder if jd will sell me both followers with a die?? I don't want scratched up bars cuz im just gonna polish them.

Posted via Mobile

Up date no need for delrin followers on stainless tube. The delrin inserts are 70 dollars on top of the die set. Can someone with a model 3 please post a picture of the mounting location for the degree wheel. The guy at jd tried to sell me the kit which I think is just a threaded stem in a nut for 30 dollars. Of course he wouldn't confirm. Die will be there today....forgot to order the degree wheel...

Posted via Mobile

Back