Kickstarter stops at 90*

NIGHTTIGER666

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have the right side cover off, I know the shaft is installed correctly and it engages the gear, yet it stops at about 90*. I can manually turn the crankshaft and push the kicker down completely, yet not on it's own. Please help!:wtf:

Hey there. If your kick return spring and kick clip are still intact it may just be that they're not in their proper grooves? I just had a similar problem & didnt realize it until i'd put the cover back on... i downloaded the manual from this site & followed the instructions & had it back working before I knew it. But all my parts were intact.

http://biker.net/650_service/650service main.html

the kickstarter assembly is on page 30 under 'engine'. letter D.

Spring is new and clip is in the recess. Pulled the spring around and hooked onto the post like it said in manual. When pulling the kickstart down, it begins to engage the gear, then stops.

Could you maybe have the bike in 1st or second and not neutral??

Always kick over in neutral(obvious I know, but just throwing it out there...)

Definitely not in neutral as the bike doesn't jerk forward when trying to kick, and still won't kick when the clutch is pulled in. I'll check with the notches on the shaft. I really hope that's the solution.

Ditto on that thread 5twins referenced. I used the zip-tie method along with the Yamaha shop manual. The travel-limiting boss on the back of the shaft was my sticking point.

I'm back at it, following 5twins pictorial post and the YouTube video slightly after. I can swear on your mother that the tang and clip are in the correct positions. Before I spun the spring around to the post, I just installed the kicker arm to test if the gear would catch. While the left-right movement does engage the gear correctly, I'm still going sore trying to get it to spin. I'm baffled because like I said before, turning the crankshaft manually engages both the clutch and the gears that the kick mechanism attach to(pardon my forgetting of names).

Back