Lacing up special wheel

bradical

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I searched for a starting point on the site but didnt see anything hopefully I didnt overlook a post that would be helpful before starting this thread. Im getting ready to start lacing up my heritage special wheels with new spokes and I took pictures of the old ones before taking them out just wanted to see if there was a certain starting point to go off of before I started. Thanks, Brad

Yup its like that just in patterns of 2. With one short n one long. It took me 3 times to get it right on a 64 spoke.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2010-06-26 19.34.10.jpg
    2010-06-26 19.34.10.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 3,066
thanks for the help guys. Hey ironsled you arent to far from stl once I get my build done we will have to ride together....

Hi, Newb here.

I'm also trying to lace up this nightmare of a wheel. Ironsled, Do you think you could elaborate on this process a little? I've been looking at all these tutorials for a 36 spoke which would seem like an easy enough process. 64 spoke tho is just waaaay up there and I'm really not grasping this.

Thanks,
Lucas

Attachments

• rear wheel.jpg
    rear wheel.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 387
I attached a pic of what I was trying to do, tape the spokes... sounded like a good idea in my head.

No matter how many spokes you're dealing with, I think you're just complicating things by having the outers in there at first. Do all the inners, both sides, first, then one side of outers, then the other side.

5 twins is correct. You will have to start with the inner spokes first. If it helps any you can go to the top of the page click on photos and look at my photos of my wheels it might help you with yours.

thanks guys, I'll give that a whirl. I'll look at your pics for help.

I got this wheel and hardware from a guy who had already started the process and had cut all the laces off the stock wheel, so i had nothing to go by. I have the front wheel intact so I'm hoping that will be easier since I can actually take pics for myself.

so with the inners: its short, long, skip two, short, long, skip two, etc?

I just followed the write up from dennis fong. I can't really ad much to what the other guys said. I pretty much followed the write up and still got it wrong as I said before it took 3 times. Trial and error lead to perfection! Good luck!

Posted via Mobile

:D

finally got it!!! Thanks everyone for the tips! I went ahead and did the inners first and that really set it in motion.

Attachments

• back rim small.jpg
    back rim small.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 961
Good job. :) That looks like an aluminum rim? If it is, I've haven't seen that. I have an aluminum rim like that, but with 36 spokes, and I have a steel rim like Ironsled posted.

John

Good job. :) That looks like an aluminum rim? If it is, I've haven't seen that. I have an aluminum rim like that, but with 36 spokes, and I have a steel rim like Ironsled posted.

John
Mike'sXS is advertising 4 alloy 48-spoke rims for the rear (2 each in 16" and 18" diameters, just different widths) and 2 64-spoke rims for the front (one 19" dia. and one 21" dia.) - is this one of his fronts?

John

Yea I got rims from Mikes xs. WM type Alloy Rear Rim - Dimpled, drilled & Polished.
2.15" x 16 x 48 hole Rear Rim ( Stock size ).

MikesXS

I've been emailing mikes now because I've been struggling to lace the front larger diameter performance rim. Turns out the spokes I purchased from mikes don't fit the front rim :banghead: and in fact he doesn't carry them in stock.

How are you guys liking the ALLOY rims from MikesXS? I was thinking of going with the 18" rear swap ----- price is right! Wish the wider one was the same price as the 2.15"...

Back