Max Sievert blow torch

I am thinking of making my own seals .I have a leather sewing machine + an old leather belt with thick leather + and have glue .
making the opening in one layer or two layers leather -- and no hole in the upper one.
I think i will try that since this can happen in the future also.

How it looks can be seen 7 o clock post #30
Can work making a leather seal cup. No quick fix.
Please let me know how you get on making new leather cup.

Think I'll follow Marty's suggestion - dismantle and soak with oil. But while I'm at it, try to measure the cup. I don't trust meself to make accurate measurements but in this case that hardly applies - more sort of, use a plastic ruler and eye up the messy scrap of leather. The dimensions might give me more to go on if a purchase becomes necessary - there's a bloke on UK ebay sells various sizes of leather cup for bicycle pumps etcetera.

But I'd prefer to avoid having to buy stuff - apart from the meths, which will be a useful addition to the products cupboard in any case. No, deffo won't drink it!

Jan - it's great that you are forging ahead with your blow torches - hopefully, you will find the problems before me and come up with the solutions.

Referring back to post #35, this is the twisted wire thingy that was inside the main fuel pipe.

PICT0580.JPG

Does it look important? The thick part, rolled up brass gauze, was pushed up almost to the burner jet. Function - to prevent Explosion?

It's a very tight fit so won't be easy to push it back in . . .

Think I'll follow Marty's suggestion - dismantle and soak with oil.
My old Coleman camp stove has the same pump. The stove sits on the shelf for years at a time. Each time it comes out for use, I service the pump with 30W oil. I've had the stove for nearly 60 years (my parents bought it) and I expect I can have it running after a few squirts of oil. It's still a great stove if one doesn't mind the inconvenience of filling the tank and pumping it up.

I will try the oil also
It can be in there a while .

The net
rolled up brass gauze,

I have never seen it but I believe it is a filter as the oil filter on XS 650

I have a Max Sievert with a metal sign For Gasoline at the handle it looks different at the top.
Never tried it and not sure anyone else has either.Dont think I have the nerves to do it either.
One leaking gasket and ------ Kabooommmmm ..mmmm

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

I will try the oil also
It can be in there a while .

The net
rolled up brass gauze,

I have never seen it but I believe it is a filter as the oil filter on XS 650

I have a Max Sievert with a metal sign For Gasoline at the handle it looks different at the top.
Never tried it and not sure anyone else has either.Dont think I have the nerves to do it either.
One leaking gasket and ------ Kabooommmmm ..mmmm

View attachment 232927

View attachment 232929

View attachment 232928
That does look consistent with what I've seen as a gasoline torch.

Please let me know how you get on making new leather cup.

I think this is something that will work with the right leather and hardware making a seal
It is the hole for hang up the tool and a 1/4 inch socket pushed and hammered in .
Soaked in the fluid mostly kerosene and eventually used a heat gun.

Took it out and there was a cup So it looks doable .
some tweaking cutting the edges .. and doing the hole is something to work with.

The AETNA seem to be from year 1904. 118 Years. Old.

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg
nch socket pushed in

IMAG0170.jpg

Today, 1/2 filled the blow torch with paraffin. Kerosene. Few strokes of the pump - nada. No pressure.

Pulled the pump out and found the leather cup, which I had thought to be good, has in fact fallen apart. The dismantled pump:

PICT0582.JPG

The torn black item at lower right is the leather cup, fits between the large hex and the brass ring to give a good pump seal but clearly that ain't gonna happen. So will look on line and buy a leather cup.

If I cannot buy one that fits, then further ingenuity will be called on . . .

Today, 1/2 filled the blow torch with paraffin. Kerosene. Few strokes of the pump - nada. No pressure.

Pulled the pump out and found the leather cup, which I had thought to be good, has in fact fallen apart. The dismantled pump:

View attachment 233190

The torn black item at lower right is the leather cup, fits between the large hex and the brass ring to give a good pump seal but clearly that ain't gonna happen. So will look on line and buy a leather cup.

If I cannot buy one that fits, then further ingenuity will be called on . . .
The Coleman stoves have or had a rubber replacement for the leather seal. I’m sure long term, the leather is better. Maybe a cobbler can cut you a round piece. Do you still have cobblers?

The Coleman stoves have or had a rubber replacement for the leather seal. I’m sure long term, the leather is better. Maybe a cobbler can cut you a round piece. Do you still have cobblers?
Thank you @jetmechmarty it's kind of you to offer some solutions. That's the thing about posting on this forum, there's always something of interest to look at and if you post a wee project like this there's always people show enough interest to offer ideas.

I think Coleman is a well-known brand of stoves and stuff and even offered their own brand of fuel but I'd never heard of them. In the UK, Coleman's is more strongly associated with Mustard - the peppery condiment.

But if I had a look say in Ebay there would probably be people advertising Coleman stove spares. You often see US traders on UK Ebay, but the pojected shipping costs make you double-take.

However, I found somebody offering a Primus stove spares & repair kit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285062226769?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338365712&toolid=20006&customid=EB90593232&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1OB117k34SPai3IST7CDbjQ11&_trkparms=ispr=1

so I've placed an order and as a second avenue ordered 5 leather stove gaskets sold as fitting most small stoves etecera.

Now just a matter of waiting a few days and see what turns up.

Oh, in answer to you other question, no we don't really have cobblers.

Got to be careful with that one - in the UK, cobblers is slang, originally Cockney rhyming slang, for balls. So can refer to male gonads or to rubbish.

But there aren't many cobblers around. No doubt you'd find one in an off-centre shop in a big city but there's none I know of around here.

Got to be careful with that one - in the UK, cobblers is slang, originally Cockney rhyming slang, for balls. So can refer to male gonads or to rubbish.
Over here, it’s a deep dish fruit pie. I’m afraid a cobbler is another trade lost to our throw it away mentality.
🙁

I've been called a cobbler more than once.
Had a 1947 Clark Planeloader forklift, WWII surplus. Used it for decades but the main lift cylinder had a small dent in the case, meant that every 3-4 years we had to block and tackle the ram out and change the leather seal cup. fun fun. Clark had those leather cups in stock well into the 90's!
1672848886327.png

Can't wait to see that torch do it's thing!
Perhaps of use; those forklift seals were formed into a cup with a beveled lip and were VERY stiff. I'm guessing a hydraulic press and heat were involved.

Last edited:
Speaking of seals I was on that trying to press a cup-- A Failure . So far
But I then instead made a circular leather piece that I installed at the place where the leather cup sits . Have to make a center hole
I have such Hollow Punches..
That I pressed into the pump tube .That folded the leather the wrong way When it went in but it formed it
Applying grease and Kerosene .Letting it sit a while .. Then I took it out
And flipped the leather the right way and used at matchstick to push the thing in around the circumference.
Did not look pretty .But with the right thickness leather one achieves a tight fit .On one I used two Layers Leather

Did get pumping pressure on both Torches and Flow a small jet on the newer one.
Perhaps not high enough pressure lets see. But if it sits there it can get better.
Have not tried to light them up yet .. Terrible weather here.

I found slight differences in Diameters Since I have 5 I tried to shift between them Not Possible.

As mentioned them there most likely have it but DIY is cheaper
far down the gaskets

http://fogas.se/packningar/packningar.html

Thank you, @Jan_P for your detailed account. Gives a clear idea of what you have tried and are doing - great to compare notes.

I might have to go down the road of making a seal myself from something or modifying a bought sealing cup. Or you might have concede and buy something that fits. Or nearly fits and can be persuaded to do the job?

The Primus stove service & repair kit arrived today:

PICT0584.JPG

Think I'll be able to use one of the leather-cup-pump-seal thingys. As you can see the kit comes in a really neat little brass box. Soon as I saw the kit, thought that's worth buying even if I have to look further for the correct size seal - also contains a pair of prickers, gaskets for the filler cap and the pump housing, spare nipples and a nipple removal key.

Challenging to take a photo with the Sun so low. Those long shadows - that's the noonday Sun, that is.

Back