Maxx650 Build Thread

I have picked the Vapor with the dashboard but I am not there yet on my build. I appreciate the quality of your wiring and I am watching closely to have you break the ice for me on the Vapor! So thanks in advance for that.

Thanks guys.. I'll be wiring it up next weekend Limpy so I can let you know how it goes. I just got it in the mail plus the last of the parts I think I'll be needing. I would like to order GS's forkbrace though as I think that's nice. Omar's cushion should be arriving sometime next week fingers crossed.. it's been about 4 months due to some delays but Robert is a great guy to deal with.

BLTquct.jpg

fXAEJ0A.jpg

Also, anyone at the races last weekend? Awesome see Marquez take 1st.

MxmVrq8.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh, I thought there was a guy on the stands that looked familiar!!!:D
Amazing kid,he has some skills!

I am a big F1 fan and I have watched them build that track brick by brick over the last few years. Great first race last year especially in the winners circle where the Pirelli hats were black Stetsons! The Euros loved it and it was a fantastic event I am trying to get to this November.

I have an Omar's seat and being in NorCal I went to Robert's house to pick it up. He is a very nice guy and spent some time with me talking shop. I have also found Michael at XS650 Central to be very knowledgeable and helpful, I bought my Progressive Suspension shocks from him and he helped me decide on an exhaust (from Gordon Scott).

Back to Circuit of the Americas, amazing turn one! I look forward to the Vapor install.

Wooo she's pretty much done. Took her for a ride around the neighborhood and felt great. Need to wrap my pipes, really enjoying the vapor gauge. I need to fine tune it a bit by RPMs can go a little random sometimes.

Also still need to put on my tail light / turn signal combo.. How do I drill a straight hole on a curved surface?!?!

KDJ9jFo.jpg

kl4FQu2.jpg

I6fSuCc.jpg

3NqQRz9.jpg

IYOBFKC.jpg

BLUNgp3.jpg

FYI Limpy, the vapor gauge was pretty damn easy to instal. Comes with some instructions a baby could read. Sometimes the RPMs are a bit sporadic but mostly good. Perhaps I need to fine tune the instrument.

Mighty fine machine You built!
Something to be proud of for sure.
:thumbsup:
I would like to have been at the races.
Marguez just came in second with a pass on the last turn is was good

If you didn't want to drill a hole into your cowl, you could get turn signals that also function as the tail/brake lights. They look like turn signals, mount like turn signals, but function as the tail light, brake light, and turn signals.

Thanks for the advice! I've actually got a specific design in mind to flush mount two 2" circle LED tail/brake/turn signals that do exactly what you're describing. I've purchased and wired in Signal Dynamics Tri-Star module to do this seen in this pic:

MlDKuqZ.jpg

sM7L3vg.jpg

I actually had a thought to get the design I want in my mockup. I'm going to take the cowl off and fill a bucket with some expanding, hardening foam and put the cowl in there to make a reverse mold, and then also fill the cowl with the foam to make a cowl mold.

With the reverse mold I will now have a 90 degree angle from the buckets flat bottom to make a perfect drill angle. I can start with a pilot hole and then make my way to a hole saw a bit smaller than the lights. Then I can tape the reverse mold with holes drilled to the cowl and I will have a 'sleeve' to help guide the hole saw cut through the cowl's complex curve at a 90 degree angle. I can use the normal cowl mold to practice my theory before making the cut. Once the largest hole is made I will sand down the edges until I can get a snug fit with a rubber grommet or something to hold them in place.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Hey Maxx, great build :thumbsup: I was wondering which version of the Vapor unit you got because I see that are several versions available for different bikes ( none of which are the xs650 and the price dose vary somewhat between versions ) looks great on your cafe though!

Hey mate, I just put a response on the thread you created with a bit of extra information. The model was:

75-200 (silver) which is the version for "97-04 YZ's"

Back