Maxx650 Build Thread

Received and installed Gordon Scott's fork brace. Looks way better than that giant chrome fender. Also got up to some good highway speeds 75+ and didn't rattle out any nuts or bolts that so that's good :D

kvMJhcZ.jpg

Thanks John, I actually did notice a big user error today.. Saw that I had a mark underneath my seat pan from my where my wheel must have lightly rubbed against it - I actually had some wires exiting in that area too and they got a good rubbing. Need to re route those.

I don't think I shouldbe having my wheel hit my seat pan though :D I believe I'm running stock shocks on this.. and they look to be on the 'lowest' setting at the adjustable bottom bit. Would raising it up help? Or do I need new, taller suspension? Anyone have suggestions?

Got around to cutting my tail light holes in my seat/cowl today. Need to get it painted again nicely and buy some rubber grommets for the lights.

hcVANpv.jpg

Also anyone think my headlamp looks out of place? Should I get a smaller black one, maybe some vintage looking yellow lens? Thats what I'm thinking.

Got around to cutting my tail light holes in my seat/cowl today. Need to get it painted again nicely and buy some rubber grommets for the lights.

Those lights should have come with rubber grommets. If you can't find any, let me know. I should have some laying around.

Mike

Appreciate it everyone. I actually was thinking about a fairing. Can't decide if I would want something like a 1/4 fairing like you show (looks awesome on the Paul Smart Ducati), or maybe a larger near full-size fairing. I don't really know where to find a full size fairing that would fit this or how to properly mount it though.

Got my tail lights on and working. Time for a night ride. Need to reprint my seat now after being roughed up... And cutting holes in it.

BrvEhD3.jpg

TC6wWld.jpg

Thanks! Here's a 'skeleton' photo that shows the finished pan area. The foam is a bit messy in it, I was cleaning it up. My main seat brace/bracket also acts as the battery brace and is held really nicely right there.

M1Sjsrf.jpg

Love it, just as powerful if not more than my old AGM and acid batteries.. It's incredibly light and from what I can tell is designed specifically for motors sports rather than power tools like some other LiFE batteries. I don't understand the technology but its amazing the difference between my acid and AGM batteries and the shorai.

I'm very happy to hear that!
I'm have one for my build.
Im looking forward to the extra cranking power.
I use these type of batteries in R/C and they are great for that as well!

So much for rebuilding (well really just cleaning out.. didn't replace the seals as I didn't have them at the time) my rear master cylinder! The thing start squirting brake fluid all over the damn place today. Trying to decide about buying new seals and rebuilding again or buying a new rear master cylinder.

On the best note, I towed her back down to Austin today.. no longer 'in the garage.' Ready to start riding this summer!

Also adjusted my shocks pre-tension to be stiffer and no longer rubbing the seat pan.. I should look into better shocks though. :bike:

ZQtSnJO.jpg

Well hell, at least you got some riding time in.I'll have to keep an eye on my rear master too.
I've just cleaned mine up also.
Your bike looks good man.That's a nice shot of it.

Regarding shocks, someone on this forum recommended I contact Michael at www.650central.com. I did and after we talked he sold me Progressive Suspension model 12 at the correct height for my application and the correct spring rate for my weight. It really helps talking to an expert, because I am an amateur!

Hey, Max, really like the taillights!

You could 'snubber' your shocks. Put bike on stand, install shocks without springs, manipulate swingarm to move rear wheel up to closest you'll allow. Then, measure remaing shock stem length. Either get longer shocks by this amount, or make-up rubber 'snubber' spacer to fit on stem by that length plus maybe 1/8". Auto shops may have spacer your size...

Last edited:
Back