My first XS650

So it's been awhile since my last post but don't worry, I'm still workin on her.

So I have gotten the gap between my peg brackets and lower rails all filled in and smoothed up.

Before
photo9.jpg

During
68ad30f0.jpg

After(sorry, didnt take any closeups)
5aeb5143.jpg

So I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I plan on drilling a hole on the backside of each so that moisture can't build up in there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So next I started thinking abt that neck gusset I removed and whether I should put anything back in there or not. I decided it'd probly be a good idea to put somethin' back in there so I came up with this:
85eedb3f.jpg

Duplicating the first one wasn't easy but I got plenty close to having two identical gussets:
9e708c80.jpg

Here's the finished product:
3082fffc.jpg

0fd6f22d.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now the frame is nearly complete minus mounting tabs and brackets so I ordered a Devon rear wheel in bare steel and a stainless spoke kit from Buchanans to mate up the new wheel and the factory rear hub. I found an aluminum 21" front from a dirtbike off of a fella' on craigslist for $40 and then I ordered up a Spool hub from the guys at Wargasser Speedshop and a second spoke kit to mate these two together. Currently,the rims and hubs are out for powdercoat so I'll have gloss black rims and hubs with stainless spokes and nipples.

Devon 18" rear rim
5db82f75.jpg

21" Takasago front rim
86db6a0a.jpg

Wargasser front spool hub, side note- Sherm from Wargasser was super friendly and helpful and seems to be a righteous dude. Ordering was easy and I got my hub in a week.
300.jpg

I've got tires sitting here, Avon front and Coker classic rear
335015a7.jpg

My pops got me a ribbed and ducktailed rear fender for Christmas from 7 Metal West, Pretty rad.
5x16_steel_w_logo.jpg

I got a pair of pods off of(of all places) Amazon for $17 shipped. They look better than I thought they would.
c7918b0a.jpg

I've got almost everything I need to complete this thing minus exhaust, handlebars, and wiring.
21e9e321.jpg

Soon as the wheels get back I'm gonna lace them up and take them to a shop to get them trued up and have the tires and tubes installed... Then I'll have a roller!!! I feel like this thing is gonna really start coming together in the next couple of months.:D:D:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Ive amassed quite a bit of stuff for my build but haven't really got started.

Looks cool man! Just aquired a 21" DID for my build, Ill have to get up with Sherm cause I wanna run a spool front as well!

Keep the updates coming!

Thanks guys! Look for the Wargasser spool in the classifieds on ChopCult.
His ads for his spools on the site usually say he will ship for free but if you order them through his site then you'll be paying for shipping.

Powdercoated rim and hubs came in the other day.
208e6bbb.jpg

9b41b9b7.jpg

Stainless spokes and nipples from Buchanan's. Laced them up using the Fong Bros guide here:http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/12/how-to-lace-a-wheel-from-scratch/
86c86cc2.jpg

The front wasn't near as easy as the rear since it a spool plus all the spokes are on one side of the flange, not alternating. I looked all over for help but couldn't really find much for my situation so I started up a thread on ChopCult and I ended up just kinda talking myself through it. Heres the link to that thread. I hope it helps somebody else out.http://www.chopcult.com/Howtolaceaspoolhub
23d5cbef.jpg

I've also been working on my electronics box, I really like the on on this Motoshop Tonouchi bike and wanted to do something similar.
Tonouchi650b.jpg

I'm thinking my pod filters are gonna interfere w the box so I might have to switch and/or chop some things up to make it work. Does anybody know where to find velocity stacks for our sixfiddy's intake? I found these but they want way too much for them. $120! Check out http://benjiescaferacer.com
2velocity.jpg

Here's what I've got so far. That shape for the curved part was a MF'er to get right bc the front of it leans forward to match the angle of the backbone. It's still real rough in these pics. In the pic where it's got a bottom, I had cleaned it up alot and made the top and bottom of it match the lines of the frame but I forgot to take any pics while it was sitting in the frame.

Whad'ya think?
f174f991.jpg

e51b795a.jpg

0dc45830.jpg

:thumbsup:

I planned on using the original kickstand and welding it back on the frame but now that my frame is abt 4 1/2" from the ground, thats not gonna work so well. The original kickstand would leave me with abt 2" of ground clearance. This thing took me abt 8-10 hrs to make. I never thought making a kickstand would be as difficult as it was.
13cce44d.jpg

Got the motor in the frame and the forks lowered 2". I should've taken a picture of it on the ground so we could get a better idea of its stance w the forks lowered. Anyway here's the way it currently looks.
ded849a0.jpg

Cheers dudes:thumbsup:

Started making my seat. I used a Kobalt shovel to start with and had to add a piece to the rear. I later found out from one of the idiots at my work that Paul Jr from OCC did the same thing, even used a Kobalt. Now my seat is not as cool as I thougt it was going to be. Haha.
ea4b28e4.jpg

8b476295.jpg

Got my fender mostly mounted, still gotta fab up the sissy bar.
14fb95b0.jpg

dab89eb5.jpg

Heres a shot w eveything mocked up, nothings mounted yet.
d5492dd6.jpg

Now that I can see the whole bike coming together, I kinda wish I had addded another 2 inches or so to the rear and didn't go w the little bit of dropseat. Oh well, Just an excuse to build another one.

The bike is looking awesome man. Lotta talent showing there.

These velocity stacks are the best ones I've found for our XS's. I run a pair and they are great, only thing was once I re-chopped my bike I turned about 1/2 an inch off the length to have enough clearance for my electrics box. Call these guys and they will make the stacks to your specs for no extra charge. Great guys and a good price.
http://www.steeldragonperformance.com/products_2.html

Eek, after peepin your pictures again, it's gonna be a real tight squeeze for stacks. If you look at how far the carb comes back (almost inline with the backbone) your electrics box may have to be altered.... Good luck with that.

Back