New to me XS 650...

Thank you all for your input. I have followed several topics here on xs650 and have found really good info. If I ask a question that has already been answered in another topic just point the way please. I say this because on of the current threads discussed brushes and if I have a low charge rate I will need to find that thread.

...just point the way please. I say this because on of the current threads discussed brushes and if I have a low charge rate I will need to find that thread.

Comment #3. It's a copy of the charge guide in tech, but I've added a few videos and such.
Have you looked yet to see if it's a stock system?

Think about a H-D twin.
HD's as well as 277 XS650's mostly use a unit 2 tower 2 trigger coil. Most of the 277 iggys actually use an HD coil. They have a common + with individual - for each tower. Meaning you have common coil primary but two separate secondary's.

Don't know squat about 'em.
Owned a Sportster 'bout a gazillion years ago. For all I remember, it coulda' used flints for spark. :cautious:
If it was an Iron head, it used a dual point (dual tower) single fire coil wasted spark system. If it was an EVO it had electronic iggy with a dual tower dual fire split secondary coil.

Never dealt with a 277 motor, so this is definitely out of my wheelhouse.
Here's one that uses a dual input/dual output coil. 2 primaries that need 2 separate inputs to fire 2 different secondarys.... effectively two coils in one.

Untitled.png

Here's another that uses two coils.

Untitledz.png

Those are actually a common primary with a split secondary, but yes essentially two coils in a single unit.
It would have to be two separate primaries. Single power source charges two primaries. Separate (front and rear) negative terminals ground and open it's own primary.

images.png

Do big bore XSs Rev quicker?
No first hand knowledge on the big bores. Logic would say yes because the weight of the rotating mass is unchanged but the displacement is increased. Theoretically that should rev faster... but the carbs have as much to say about that as anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, it has a single coil, ot would seem it is the stock configuration. Do big bore XSs Rev quicker?
Not specifically but if your slides have been worked (drilled, lighter springs) it could rev quicker. Reducing rotating mass will make it rev quicker.

It would have to be two separate primaries. Single power source charges two primaries. Separate (front and rear) negative terminals ground and open it's own primary.

View attachment 199296
Yep thats just two coils in one capsule, two primaries, two secondary's. Prior to that they used this type.
coil2.PNG

most older dual fire bikes used this
coil.PNG

It looks like the "single coil" 277 iggys are using the type you posted with two seperate coils in one unit.

I fired it up and it seem the Rev real quickly. Is it possibly a 277 motor. Voltage it the battery at 3000rpm indicated was 12.75 but I will recheck after the battery is fully charged. It was at 12.15v when it was off loaded this AM. The delivery was 2 weeks late but I assume they cannot accurately forecast exactly when a full load will happen and patience is better than frustration.

12.75 V seems low ( for a stock system at least ) try again with lights on an ..My first assumption is that something needs service
give it a bit more 4000 see if any difference

12.75 V seems low ( for a stock system at least ) try again with lights on an ..My first assumption is that something needs service
give it a bit more 4000 see if any difference
I expect 13.2-13.8 ish. I have charged the battery, it was sitting for almost 2 months. I won't have time to check again till tomorrow, I have to operate a crane now to lift boats out of the water for winter. Can anyone point me to the thread that had some info on generator brushes. Thanks.

Back