Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

Any idea what the weight savings truly is? I saw a couple say they'd weigh but never posted up results.

I just hit amazon up for a pair of Uni 5229 filters. $32 shipped for the pair.

True, but perhaps the sets are with new carbs rather than the used ones were adapting. Either way, I would assume the unit makes it a bolt on an go option, and that alone makes it worth it to some for sure.

Neither is going to be a bolt on and go scenario. As with any carb swap there is going to be a little bit of tuning that is needed. As long as you have a good baseline to go from (which there has been a good baseline established for both the CVK's - big thanks go to MrRiggs for helping establish this- and the VM's) then it should be just fine tuning for your bike. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying that the CVK's are the be all end all for carb swaps but they are a very economical and good performing swap if you either don't have a good set of carbs or if you just like playing with things (I fall into this category) and don't feel like spending close to $500 for carbs - I personally have roughly $200 in my CVK's even with all of the jetting changes I have done. There have been many people who have used the VM's with great success, there have also been quite a few people who have had success with Dellotro (sp), Lectrons and now we have another option in the CVK's.

Machi I run Vm34's as MMM set them up. I did a little fine tuning They are perfect. But I am going to try CVK's. I have a good set of 2002's
and will order my jets.

Last edited:
I've run VM34s from MMM for about 5 years now with no problems. Michael set them up and I just did a little fine tuning. I wasn't a huge fan of the 2-1 throttle cable, but other than that it was a great setup. It does seem like I have to mess with them more than the old diaphragm carbs. I usually tune up early in the season around april, tune again when the hot humid weather hits, and then again in the cool dry fall. Really only playing with idle speed and mixture though. I ended up buying the VMs after rebuilding and battling with the stock carbs (and missing a lot of the early riding season) but pretty sure that was my own mechanical shortcomings at the time. Still have two sets of the stock carbs sitting on the bench.....

criticalsludge, You now have the bike running well and learned a lot in 5 years. Have you thought of trying a stock set of carbs?
Leo

I have considered trying to run the stock carbs. I've got the bike torn down over the winter for a minor rebuild, so I've got some different priorities and budget issues. I am glad I didn't ditch the stockers. I picked up a spare motor a few weeks ago on CL for $50 that came with another set of cabs so I may build that one out while I'm (hopefully) riding this summer! The CL motor is pretty rough. I may even just tear it down for the experience and part it out to fund some of my other parts. Garage has been a little cold up here so I haven't really dug into it yet. Didn't really need it, but $50 seemed too good to pass up

$50 for a complete engine is well worth it. Tearing it down and rebuild it. Even with out replacing anything can be a good learning experience.
I might not part it out. Replacing a side cover or the cases will cost you more than the $50. And having the spares on hand saves time.
I have two 82 engines just waiting for the time. One may get a rephase while it's apart.
Leo

Using the EX500 carbs on a XS650 has a problem of how to handle the choke pull assembly. How I went about it was I bought a universal choke cable #15830 from Jegs performance products (www.jegs.com). I cut the inside cable stop from the stock bracket, slid the new cable thru the opening (you may need to spread open the opening a little), and cut the new cable to the proper length. The new cable came with a retaining nut, but I did not use it because the bracket provided a friction fit and the spring loaded actuator hold's everything snug. Jeg's supplied with the cable a barrel clamp, but the diameter was too large to fit the choke actuator. I went to my local Ace hardware store and was able to find a barrel clamp with the proper diameter. The outcome has a very clean stock look, and works perfect. Hopefully this can be helpful.

Attachments

• 20140302_075718.jpg
    20140302_075718.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 319
  • 20140302_075550.jpg
    20140302_075550.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 310
  • 20140302_075825.jpg
    20140302_075825.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 20140302_100559.jpg
    20140302_100559.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 359
I am still running my stock air boxes (the plastic one's that came on later year special model's) with the new EX500 carbs. How I did this was flip to the air boxes to the opposite sides that they were originally on to get the throat openings to the correct height for the intakes of the new carbs. Everything re-bolted up with minimal modification. The new carbs are a little shorter but it is easy enough to slide out the airbox collars a little and seal everything up with black silicone rubber. The air boxes hold the carbs secure and you can still install the stock side covers.

On the enrichener it's not hard to adapt a stock 82 up XS650 left side control with the lever and cable actuator.
My 80 Honda CM400 uses a cable actuator that hooks to the carb about the same and mounts to the handle bars mount bolt. One like that should adapt easily too. My Harley uses a cable. It mounts like the Honda but down on the left side of the engine. I don't think the end on the carb is like the EX500 carbs but one of those cable clamps as cbrrudy talks about will work.
On the 82 BS34carbs I used an old lawn mower choke cable cut down and fitted kinda like cbrrudy did with a parts store cable.
Leo

Or perhaps the choke off the old cm400 parts bike in the barn.

I missed the entire discussion on throttle cables. I was thinking I might jam the throttle off the old hawk, too. Any reason it shouldn't work? I have no need to ditch my yammie throttle assembly since it has the functions I need at the moment, minus the e-start.

Back