Real wheel spacing problems! need some serious help.

stcin7

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I've rolled to a creep with my build because I'm getting to the "difficult" stuff, as far as my abilitys are concerned. I finally got the spacer i needed for my rear wheel. Its from a tx750 and i was told it would work on my bike. I received the spacer and it seams to be too wide. I cant fit both my chain tensioners on and the spacing seams weird.

Would someone post close up pics of there rear wheel for me? I've attached pics of mine so check them out and let me know what im doing wrong.

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 243
  • tn-2.jpg
    tn-2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 257
  • tn-3.jpg
    tn-3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 226
Maybe the hardtail isn't exact. When they are welded together they can pull in. You can remove a little material from the spacer till it fits correctly just make sure the wheel is centered and take a tiny bit off if need be.

how tight does the nut have to be? ill post a closer pic tomorrow but there is axel sticking out of the side and i figured it should be flush. when i put my license plate mount on and tightened the nut it couldnt thread down far enough to hold tight. Does the stabilizer bar pretty much hold it in place?

On some of those hardtails you need to add some spacers because the axle plate are thinner then stock. Most people use a couple washers

ON MINE to get things right I had to install a big washer between the inside of the frame and the adjusters to get things to line up properly. The washers came from Lowes or Home Depot.

Also my axel was installed the other way, dont think that matters none though.

I havnt tried turning it around but anything is worth a shot at this point. I think the spacer needs to be ground down a bit and ill put washers between the tensioners.

Were it me I'd throw a piece of threaded rod and and a couple of nuts and washers in the hard tail axle holes and spread it till the spacers fit.

..... and get out the BFH too, lol. It's not like you'll ruin the handling or anything if something gets bent, lol. That already happened when the Sawzall came out.

Misalignment is more likely than not when the hard tail is welded on. The welds, cooling unevenly, warp the joints. The fabricator should heat the joints dull red hot after welding and let them cool slowly and evenly to relieve stress while everything is still jigged up. Not likely that was done though. Ideally now you would jig it up and bend the two legs so the tire and wheel center and the sprockets line up, while keeping the axle plates parallel.
Hint; that's why stacks of 3/4" washers are popular, lets you shift the wheel to align the sprockets and, fill the gap between the axle plates and that should center the wheel to the chassis. :shrug:

Would someone post a pic of there rear wheel setup so i have something to refference. preferably someone with a tc bros hardtail like mine.

WELL as it turns out with all the paint and powdercoat applied to my frame, spacers, chain tensioners it seems I CANT fit my tensioners on at all !! Gonna have to remove some material. It ALL fit before applying all the coatings as I had it together for mock up !

:doh:

hmm that makes me wonder.... I got my hubs powdercoated. and powdercoat is pretty thick. maybe that's causing the spacing problems. either way I have to grind some material off.

I would use a flap wheel on a angle grinder, gives a little better finish. Thats what I will be using, when I get back to that point, right now I am back on doing PAINT.

Back