Should this be loose?

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I rebuilt my B34 carbs and the Fuel line T is loose. I don't remember any o-rings in the chambers where the T fits the 2 carbs, but maybe when I stripped them down, they fell out. I'm looking to test start it on the stand, so as I don't want a fire, can you give me a heads up on if they should be tighter, the T is original for the carbs and may need replaced. :thumbsup:

No, it shouldn't be loose. It's going to leak like that. The trick is to squeeze the carbs together during the top and bottom bracket install and tightening, just tight enough so the "T" doesn't rotate .....

Fuel-T-Install.jpg

Install the brackets loosely, clamp the carbs together enough so that the "T" can't be rotated, finish tightening the bracket fasteners while the carbs are still clamped.

Buy this be happy. He's a small one man shop kind of guy making these for other bikes I gave him the heads up on making one for the XS650 including all the dimensions and never even got a thanks for my suggestion. :shrug:
5twins "trick" prolly works but somehow it just don't feel like the right thing to do?

Even if you had a brand new factory part, you would need to install it the way I showed or it's going to leak. The part needs to be snug, "pinched" between the carbs so it can't be easily rotated by hand, to seal. I'm thinking even these new aftermarket ones would need some pressure against them for best sealing. You don't need (or want) to clamp the carbs together super tight, just enough so the "T" can't be easily rotated by hand.

Granted, many of the originals are shot, the rubber coating (which makes the seal) peeling off. I have an idea to fix one like this although I haven't tried it yet. I think one, maybe two layers of shrink wrap on the ends that fit into the carbs, along with using the clamping install trick, should fix it.

I have a couple of that guy's float level tubes and they are very nice.

Back