Tire swap / size question

xlr8tn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have sunrims with shinko (front)110/90-19 and 130/90-18(rear) tires. I would like to mount new Avon tires, but all that is available is 100/90-19 and 120/90-18. Is this gonna work? My guess is that they will be just a bit skinnier, but should be fine. I noticed the current tires are quite a tight fit with the swingarm anyway.

Thanks,
Brent

I'm running Avon's 100/90-19's up front, 110/90-18's out back. Love the way they ride/turn/grip.

What are the rim widths? We can't even guess about tire sizes till we know that. I'm running Michelin Pilot Activs 100/90 19 on a 2.15 front and a 4.00 18 on a 2.50 rear and feel that going up one width on both rims was worth the effort. Except there are few 2.50 x 18 rim choice$ out there then getting one with the holes drilled for a drum rear hub is not easy either,

Looks like your tire choice is a good one for those widths. Avon will have a chart of rim widths for their tires. They usually list both acceptable and recommended widths for each tire size. Don't stray far from the ideal and you should be fine. Old bikes tend to have "too narrow" rims for the tires sizes they came with. Getting closer to ideal will improve feel and handling.

Back