Uk or import

I think just a tidy up will suffice really, my Clio was a restoration with a full underside strip and complete renewal of all suspension. Got a bit carried away and stripped the rear beam off for powdercoating etc. It's an addiction isn't it.

Flame red was a rare colour so should fetch 3.5-4k with the low miles on it.

Very good advice Adam.
No point trying to run before you can walk.
And a modified/customised bike doesn't need massively expensive original parts.
You can use anything that will do the job.
I try to avoid all these marvellous Chinese made add-ons.
They might seem like a bargain, but they don't last five minutes.
But bits of other Japanese bikes can work very well and don't cost much

BTW this sold on eBay today for £4800.
Not a particularly sought after year but an original UK bike.
Seems like an OTT price but the guy spent a fortune on it.
Someone got a real bargain

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220904-171005.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-171005.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220904-170950.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-170950.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 62
Yes I was watching that one out of curiosity, 4800 does seem a good price considering it wants for nothing.

The one I looked at isn't exactly in need of restoration but a tidy really, some of the dinks are like extreme patina😄

Well I've just advertised my 172, you guys can't talk me out of this idea that easily 😆

I now need to decide whether to wait to see what else comes along or maybe arrange another viewing of the 75 near me? Shame your in Cardiff Adam, I'd value your second opinion on it.

You'll have to go with your own instinct, Dom. Just don't get into a decision you regret later.

Bought my XS sight unseen from an on-line shop, paid £3000, nearly didn't get anything 'coz the company folded, found some of the things I had been told were, uhm, less than true, spent the purchase price again getting the bike to where it is now. But that fades into that past, learned a lot about the bike along the way, huge investment of time and effort, love the bike now, no regret.

PICT2585.JPG

I wish I'd only spent £3k doing the restoration on my Clio, we don't do it for money though do we, its a hobby and hobbies cost money

Last edited:
I've been watching quite a few xs650's on Ebay over the last month or so, there seems no rhyme or reason to the price they sell for (or dont). Just watched a very tidy looking cafe racer with high level exhausts not sell, ending on £2051 where the scruffy burgundy one I was talking about earlier went for £2k. Obviously not a good time to sell with autumn and winter approaching and the financial crisis looming.

I suggest you make the effort to carry on watching some of these "sold" bikes for a few weeks afterwards.
A lot of them simply tend to get re-listed despite being "sold" without any explanation being given, or sometimes there is a reference to a non-paying bidder.
Keep watching and things will start to make more sense.
Most of the real bargains I've had over the years are from people who have presented stuff badly, listing non-running bikes, basket cases, abandoned projects.
Abandoned custom projects are particularly poor sellers, if you don't mind messing about with someone else's bodgery.

I've been watching quite a few xs650's on Ebay over the last month or so, there seems no rhyme or reason to the price they sell for (or dont). Just watched a very tidy looking cafe racer with high level exhausts not sell, ending on £2051 where the scruffy burgundy one I was talking about earlier went for £2k. Obviously not a good time to sell with autumn and winter approaching and the financial crisis looming.
That eBay bike at £2051 was a sweet ride; reserve not met. My guess was the guy wanted well over £3k if not £4K+. As I said before the sheds go for over £2500; decent rides start much higher.

Well it looks like I may have sold my car, fingers crossed as it will change my budget a little bit. I'd still like to come in under £3k if I can as I'll have a bit in reserve to go towards maintenance and and or restoration.

'Not setting your budget very high'. Good luck with that! I do absolutely everything myself, make it all in my workshop, the only things I have palmed out have been the rebore, a valve regrind and sand blasting the frame, and still it has cost me a bloody fortune. Mind you, I've done a lot of mods to it, so I guess it falls into the 'molested' category. A lot don't like what I've done to it, but I'm building it for me, no one else. Get you hacksaw out and go for it!

Attachments

• WIN_20220412_15_44_21_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220412_15_44_21_Pro.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 48
Cheers Adam, really appreciate that. I'm probably being fussy but I really want a standard model with wire spokes
Yeah, thats really why i did not buy it. And the seat is too short to take a pillion.

Maybe £3-3.5k is too low a budget to get a decent bike but I do want to have some restoration to do so the likes of a £5k finished article doesn't appeal to me really
Decent Heritage Specials like the one I recommended really start @ £3,500 in Blighty. Standard XS650 start around £5k for a presentable riding bike needing work. You will need luck to land anything usable @ £4k+; and I'm looking hard too!

Back