Valve Spring Compressor?

501Spanky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New guy on the board. I'm chopping an '83 and doing an engine overhaul. Upon pulling the head I have found a leaky exhaust valve. There was a lot of carbon buildup, so I'm hoping it's just carbon on the valve seat.

What is the most common valve spring compressor used? Home made / purchased?

Thanks guys!

Doug aka Spanky

Thanks Gary!

I am looking over the links right now. We have Princess Auto up here (similar to Harbor Freight). They have an overhead cam spring compressor for $15.
I should have thought of looking there before I posted ;-)

But on the plus side - Now I have plans for an engine stand, clutch holding tool etc etc...

That seems to be the way these things work ;-) Looking closely at the valve stem on the right side exhaust valve, it looks like I need a new one. Pretty chewed up on the end. So I guess I'll put in 4 new valves (for the cost of them), new seals and 1 tappet adjuster screw. How can somebody screw up an engine so much in only 20,000 km???

Finds so far: oil passages clogged with gasket maker in the rocker box, torn oil sump filter, pressure filter full of crap, oil that looks like 80 weight gear oil, varnished carbs, rattle can silver paint job on the engine, timing chain tightened so much it's screwed too.
Having a good time now ;-)

Welcome to the boards 501Spanky,

If you are going with new valves you may want to consider the elephant feet adjusters.
The torn oil sump filter, there are threads describing/showing successful repairs with JB or other 2 part epoxy.

I haven't heard of the elephant feet adjusters - Mikes XS, or available elsewhere?
New style sump filter is $24. The old one is more trouble than it's worth. I just hope the supplier has gotten the quality problem fixed.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure I'll be here alot ;-)

The sump filter is a very common occurrence, 90% of them need to be replaced everytime you remove the sump plate. I know that Mike's claims to have reinforced the area, but everytime I remove the sump plate on mine it's torn. Think I'll use the dam method to divirt the oil around the prone area on the screen. I also have the Heiden filter up-grade, so I just do not want any of the cam guide material jamming up the oil pump. Yea, Mike's has the adjuster's. Now is the time to put them in, as the rocker pin's have to come out to remove the rocker's.

I'm going to stay positive and just say - this engine will be like new when I'm finished ;-)
Then after I baby it for a few hundred miles to seat everything, I shall proceed to ride the snot out of it!

Welcome to the bored, also a tip if you are replacing the cam chain than replace the guide bars also because the black plastic deteriorates with old age and it is a quick job since the engine is apart. Good luck

The elephant foot adjusters is a good mod. The adjusters you want come from a Porsche. You will need to grind away some off the rocker arm to use them. about 4mm from the valve side off the rocker. This gives the foot room to swivel and back off far enough to have adjustment room.
Thats one of the many mods on my 75 engine. Shortening them by about 3/8 inch and cutting a new screwdriver slot lightens the valve train.

Back