Van Go

Whoa!!

One of the problems the van came with is the brakes. 'Bout all they'd do is slow your eventual arrival at the crash site. :er:
Rest of the shipment should be here tomorrow... fingers crossed.

1691538707679.png

Whoa!!

One of the problems the van came with is the brakes. 'Bout all they'd do is slow your eventual arrival at the crash site. :er:
Rest of the shipment should be here tomorrow... fingers crossed.

View attachment 248725

Those look like some pretty big discs, I see they’re eight lug. Is your van a one ton?

Gimmie a brake.

New rotors and pads. Cleaned and repacked the front wheel bearings... new seals too. New master cylinder. Complete fluid flush. Went through a half a gallon of brake fluid. :cautious:
I didn't replace or rebuild the calipers. Dust seals were still intact, no leaks and the pistons compressed easily when I retracted them. I hope I don't come to regret that decision. Anyway....

VanGo now stops as well as he goes. :laugh2:

1692399273385.png

1692399297756.png

1692399326057.png

Went through a half a gallon of brake fluid. :cautious:
Only a half gallon? Service standards for a typical flush for any full size vehicle is a full gallon. Please remember that without a suitable scan tool, you can't properly flush the ABS hcu. Without one, you can safely and successfully flush the primary fluid circuits, but you're not replacing any of the fluid in the isolation and dump valve circuits, nor the pump circuit. After you get it on the road, I'd recommend finding someone with a scan tool that can run the service bleed function in the ABS, the manually flush the brakes again. The Kelsey Hayes units on those Econolines are prone to internal corrosion issues, and cycling fresh fluid through them often is imperative.

Great work so far!!

I was having ongoing issues with brakes on my 4Runner. Bit the bullet and installed EBC yellow pads on new rotors. Stopping power is outstanding. Downside was cost of the pads and they generate more dust than ceramic pads. No brake fade at all. The hotter they get, the harder they grab.

Last edited:
Only a half gallon? Service standards for a typical flush for any full size vehicle is a full gallon. Please remember that without a suitable scan tool, you can't properly flush the ABS hcu. Without one, you can safely and successfully flush the primary fluid circuits, but you're not replacing any of the fluid in the isolation and dump valve circuits, nor the pump circuit. After you get it on the road, I'd recommend finding someone with a scan tool that can run the service bleed function in the ABS, the manually flush the brakes again. The Kelsey Hayes units on those Econolines are prone to internal corrosion issues, and cycling fresh fluid through them often is imperative.

Great work so far!!
Wow, thanks for the info Jim!
I have FORScan loaded on the laptop. Never even thought to look at that. Maybe I'll revisit the flush another day when it's cooler. 100°+ days forcasted for pretty much the next week or so. Prolly not doing much out in that stuff.

You know off the top of your head if FORScan will do the job? I do know it'll read the ABS hcu, so I assume it will??

So, the memory jog from Jim D in MD.... FORScan is a free tool for Fords. I loaded it on my laptop a while back because my '10 F-150 has a dead pressure sensor in one of the wheels. That in turn means a constant tire pressure warning on the dash. FORScan not only reads faults, but allows you to change/disable functions too.
It's not exactly user friendly, but it does the job. Disabling it involved rewriting one line of the hex code for the GEM. Here's my notes on when I did that....

1692457862698.png

Here's a screen shot from their website.

1692457963380.png

I ran a cursory test on VanGo shortly after I got it. Didn't keep notes. The only thing I remember was there was no major faults, just a minor one on the fuel gauge sensor. Guess I need to hook the laptop back up when it cools down.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Similarly, George Brough - of Brough Superior fame - is pronounced "Bruff"; very foreign to this hillbilly's learnin' of the language:shrug:
View attachment 249570
Yeah, the British language takes a bit to get used to. I lived just on the edge of a little town called Bicester, in Oxfordshire.
The C and E are silent. It's pronounce Bister. Go figure... :umm:

Back