welding questions

badboy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys what kind of welders are you using? I don't know shit about welding but I have a frame with a hardtail already on it. So I'm not gonna do anything structural. Im thinking of getting a decent welder and practice a bunch and trying to put things on the bike once I get better like the gas tank bungs, a support for rear disc brakes,seat bungs, battery tray. You know all the stuff that goes into these builds. I'm not just gonna buy a welder and go to town on the bike, like I said I'm looking to practice and do smaller things to the bike in the future once I know what I'm doing. Just wondering if I could get by with a cheaper welder for these small things till I know what I'm doing then maybe drop some coin on something bigger and better.

This is all just opinion but.... Maybe look around for local night school courses? Good place to learn some skills. I would say MIG would be the best starter option. Get a decent brand like Lincoln or Miller as opposed to some random Chinese thing. It won't need to be massive since bikes usually use fairly thin metal. I can't think of much over 5mm other than a kick stand on these things. Also avoid gas-less ones. They produce pretty nasty looking welds and run hot.

I should insert a caveat here that my welding skills are only home hobby level. I would like to learn TIG at some stage though.

Man I've had really good luck with my longevity 140. All in all I have about $500 in it brand new with an aluminum spool gun and a pretty good size bottle of 75/25. Haven't had a single issue yet.

This is all just opinion but.... Maybe look around for local night school courses? Good place to learn some skills. I would say MIG would be the best starter option. Get a decent brand like Lincoln or Miller as opposed to some random Chinese thing. It won't need to be massive since bikes usually use fairly thin metal. I can't think of much over 5mm other than a kick stand on these things. Also avoid gas-less ones. They produce pretty nasty looking welds and run hot.

I should insert a caveat here that my welding skills are only home hobby level. I would like to learn TIG at some stage though.
if you gas oxy weld, you can basically tig. the motions are the same, just a lot more local heat.
Lincoln makes a budget fluxcore wire welder sold as a 'century'. Its only a couple hundred bucks, and plugs into regular outlet.(110) I used it for a battery box, then gave it to a friend to do some trueing on my wheels. that was 6 years ago, and still works. I got it for free to weld in new floor pans on a 68 k5.
I have a miller 180 at home, and have been using Teledyne/Hobart 460v, Lincoln 350's at work for ten years now. I kinda wish I still had that little century still, just plug it in and go. clean up is a bit of a chore with the fluxcore, but, for what its worth, it does what it needs. Don't use a cheap fluxcore building a frame, I know you said your frame is already done, just sayin'.

Wheninxs I have been looking into longevity 140 and it's seems like the best option out there as far as price and reviews on their product vs the other more expensive ones. Unfortunately I have been inspecting the frame I bought and it looks like the guy didn't completely weld up a piece that is under the motor mounts in the middle of the frame it makes me wonder how well the other welds on the frame are :( well I guess you live and learn. Anyone know if there are places you can take a frame for them to inspect the welds? Maybe a motorcycle shop? I mean it looks solid and the top v part of the hardtail looks good but then agian I'm no pro welder.

I have a Lincoln square wave 175 tig and stick welder...I have never used the stick portion but love the welder...bad boy you can usually take welds and have them inspected but anyone that is a decent welder could tell you if you should be concerned

You could go to one of the many tech schools around, and as long as they have a welding class they will probably be able to x-ray the welds for you and see if they are acceptable. And you never know if there not up to par you might convince them to fix it for ya as a "learning experience" haha

It depends on what your plans in the future are... I was using a very crappy flux core mig for a few years... Upgraded to a used miller Maxstar 140 which is the cheapest tig welder miller makes... Still made some awesome welds, but would only do steels and not aluminum...

Finally bit the bullet and got an HTP Invertig 221 which will be the last welder i ever own hopefully. Has all the capabilities i will ever need.

Its an investment... But even if you are planning on using it for a couple of projects and then you wont need it anymore, it might be good to get a welder that will have a decent resale value...

Just my .02 tho...

I also have a little Lincoln/Century 110v that does a decent job. It works great for making brackets and odd and ends.

Always been a Miller guy. Have had lots but right now I'm running a Passport Plus and a Millermatic 252.

I also have a little Lincoln/Century 110v that does a decent job. It works great for making brackets and odd and ends.
Bingo! two cheers for the el cheapo.
I built my frame in my community college class. The instructor kept close eyes on me. So I got a inspector as I welded, and scored extra credit. been almost 8 years, now, and I see no cracking in the hardtail I made and mig-ed

What's good guys? I'm using a Lincoln "Tombstone" with DC+/DC-. I can switch from TIG to stick with the flip of a switch. I run straight Argon and use ER70S rod for most of my projects. I built my own rigid frame for my first bobber (64 CB77) with 3/4" gas pipe from Lowes. I too would recommend some sort of professional training if you're gonna do some sort of structural welding. I was a boilermaker/pipefitter in a powerplant for several years so I had to maintain my cert. PRACTICE!!!!!!! Good luck broham and happy building!

What would be the best to weld bungs into a gas tank? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440611895.668579.jpg I'm doing a fuel gauge like in the picture

We mig hydraulic fittings into some pretty thin tubing at work. We just hot tack the fittings in, pressurize with nitrogen, and dunk in water. If we see bubbles, we hit it again.
That's mig, it can seal a tank fitting, but can become a ugly mess by the time it's sealed. Tig is almost a sure bet to seal a fitting that will always be below liquid level.

If you have to ask..................... then i suggest you get a professional to do it.

Welding is an art and welding a Gas tank is about as dangerous as it can get. Professionals have accidents doing this so an amateur would be best to make a will and have a drink of you favorite swill because the next thing you feel could be the concussion blast from the explosion.

Couple of links and don't disregard the warnings. Lots of conflicting views as well so who can you really trust to have done this, especially asking a question on the web.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/showthread.php?25164-welding-a-gas-tank
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/welding-a-fuel-tank-safely.6056/
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/gas-tank-prep-before-welding.554526/

I took a course at the local tech school a few years ago and bought a Hobart 190 mig. At some point I'm going to pickup a tig and maybe take a more advanced course, but for now it's worked well for me.

Back