What did you weld or what do you need to weld today...

There is a tab on the front of the frame which limits the turning radius and keeps the bolts out of the stock tank. I was able to weld mine back on last week. I don't think it affected the lower front fork bearings, although they are very close to this area.:)

A few weeks ago, I assisted a friend by rewelding the steering stop on his Vstar 650. It had been in a wreck before he got it, and had a bit of damage. With the steering stop damaged, the upper triple tree had self-clearanced itself on the tank. We spent a week or so and repaired all that. It looks much better now.
before-
001_zpsub0xisn2.jpg

after-
005_zpsgxq553ub.jpg

I have welded a lot and have a brand new TIG sitting in my garage at home that never seen electric.
The only thing I got to add to this forum is where a mask to breath threw under the helmet. You don't want to inhale the fumes that come from the welding.
Me DUMMY HARD HEADED and just STUPID over many years of building NEVER used anything and inhaled all that good stuff and for the last 8 yrs I am STAGE TWO CANCER. I have been stage four for about a year and bleed out of holes that you can't be leave. Doctor told me my lungs looked like a 90 yr old that smoked 3 pack a day.
SO NO WOOO IS ME HERE .... I loved to weld and paint and grind but now I can't and it SUCKS!!!!:banghead: So you young guys SAFETY FIRST and live long to build some cool bikes.
SUPER NICE PUDDLES THERE WES.:thumbsup:

- - - The only thing I got to add to this forum is where a mask to breath threw under the helmet. You don't want to inhale the fumes that come from the welding.
Me DUMMY HARD HEADED and just STUPID over many years of building NEVER used anything and inhaled all that good stuff and for the last 8 yrs I am STAGE TWO CANCER. I have been stage four for about a year and bleed out of holes that you can't be leave. Doctor told me my lungs looked like a 90 yr old that smoked 3 pack a day. - - -

Hi Daddy,
that's a hard thing to hear but hopefully reading it will inspire others to invest in a good quality breathing mask.
And to wear the effin' thing!
Back in the shop I used to wonder at the welders who had a cigarette going inside their helmets.
They must have known it was better to breathe cigarette smoke than welding fumes.

Those handles are awesome! You just need the front one to pivot down to act as a kick stand, for when you put the motor down on the ground.

I usually put the motor down and the scavenge around the garage for a 2x4 to keep the motor from tipping forwards... haha

I should wear more protective gear... Between the paint glue grinding discs and welding i probably have the lungs of snoop dog... They all just smell so good...

Good idea for a thread, hopefully it takes off. I didn't do anything to fancy. Relocated a petcock bung on my tanks so I can get a few more ounces of gas outta my peanut tank

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-30-19-12-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-30-19-12-26.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 208
I've seen a lot of "circular" welds on here, like Hooligan's petcock bung, above.

Has anyone ever come up with a rotisserie or pottery-wheel welding platform?

Long ago, I had to weld up some tractor-oriented spacer/lever arms, using some junk Chevy wristpins. Lever arms were kinda press fitted onto the wristpins. Then put them on a protruding post, clamped on with the grounding clamp, and rotated the clamp with one hand while welding with the other. Got about 200° of weld around it, then had to reposition the clamp for the other side...

I've seen rotisseries for welding but have never used one. Probably wouldn't be hard to make one with a foot pedal to control speed, might take some getting used to working the fixture pedal with one foot and the tig pedal with the other foot haha....I might have to make one and see. It will probably be like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach

They make welding lathes i think they are called. The are freaking expensive though!

Ive thought about the same thing.... Using some kind of crank pedal to slow turn a table... Would make some tubing welds and that petcock weld almost perfect...

I was gonna talk to an electrical engineer friend and see if he can score me a motor that i could either gear down or turn down with a potentiometer... Seems like it would work... doesnt need to hold much weight or anything...

Nice job on the petcock bung! Looking good...

Thanks Wes, your intakes are looking pretty good too. Let me know when you get your back purge set up, I have never used one but always been curious about them I hear they make a huge difference. What kind of machine did you get? I have a Lincoln square wave 175. Not huge but does everything I would need it for on bikes, I have had it for about a year now and really like it

What are you looking to weld with a pottery wheel? I don't know of much on a XS650, maybe Exhaust flanges and carb spouts?

If you were to weld a frame or even a "hard tail kit" you wouldn't want to weld the entire circumference of the tube anyways. You begin "witch wanding" the tube's alignment ESPECIALLY if you're welding the frame in a fix jig. (a personal peeve of mine) it adds a ridiculous amount of internal stress. etc

That tank bung pictured above is a good example of why back purging would help. Even if you cleaned the outside area very well with acetone etc you'll never be able to clean the back side area (inside the tank) even if cleaned its like welding without argon on the backside. That's why the weld is an ugly grey color, plus a bit too hot and not keeping the torch over the weld post weld until it's cooled (perhaps your post weld setting is too short?). I know on my square wave 175 its not but my dynasty it is. All that'd needs to be done to back purge a tank is tape off the tank openings and run a hose off regulator into the tank thru the tape. If you're bead will open itself on the inner side than back purging is a must, if you like things done 100%

What are you looking to weld with a pottery wheel?

Nothing specific. More like a generic "welding in motion" question. Run into this every once in awhile. One time, I had to join two 24" dia x 20' drainpipes. Had a couple fellows roll them on the barn floor while I welded the joint. Seen some other motorcycle specific tasks, like custom/offset sprockets and gears, shaft repair, ...etc.

I weld quite a few round pieces. Intake manifolds, exhaust tubing... A rotarty table or welding lathe would be rad, but its almost cheating... haha...

Chizler62 - What dynasty do you have 200dx? I almost got them, but the went with the HTP Invertig... I love it so far... need alot of practice and a few more torch parts but they are on their way... And looking to get my extra argon tank to back purge so everything will be proper...

The biggest thing about back purging is failures... on an exhaust even stainless will rust because of the 'sugaring' on the back side of the weld... That and high performance exhaust systems benefit from it because the back side of the weld will look just like the front side... making it a smoother flowing exhaust pipe..

Been working to get this welder dialed in. So I spent some time getting all my parts cut and cleaned and went to town. Got a few consumables coming in this week and then i will really put this thing to the test...

Manifold%2BProduction%2Bxs%2B650.jpg

Good thread and welders!

I took a year of night school welding at a community College to learn the basics many years ago. I have a good an old stick box and a 110volt Lincoln 140 now but no gas bottle yet. I'm working on getting a bottle since it came with the regulators or get something better. I can weld what I need with what I have but good tools are great!

I used to be able to weld 16 and 18 gauge with my arc welder. Needed to do it in the days before cheap wire feeds and didn't like using acetylene/oxygen, although I have a small set that I can carry easily. I also got and still have a vibrator/holder that oscillated the 1/16" sticks, make and break the arc, which made it easier than manual starts and stops. I bought it from England years ago.

Found it!

https://books.google.com/books?id=CplP5IwuFZkC&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=arc+welding+thin+sheet+metal+electrode+holder&source=bl&ots=HqooPmyqWZ&sig=MsS9RBK4Rwl8IC0VttSGznyidlM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IzgcVb_cJYGHgwTnpIHYAQ&ved=0CFsQ6AEwCQ

Regarding attaching under the fender without heat, see the picture below of my fiberglass seat. I used aluminum wire and J-B weld for my wiring hangers or loops. Very solid.

Attachments

• DSCN3838.jpg
    DSCN3838.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Stich Welder.gif
    Stich Welder.gif
    63.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of you guys already check out weldingtiosandtricks.com or his YouTube channel, if not check it out he always has good I info for a huge range of welding. I was just watching one of his newer videos and he was using a position fixture like we were talking about

Back