What did you weld or what do you need to weld today...

Hey we can't let this thread die, well I did a little welding today, not on the 650 but I needed to weld the crank pin on an HD twin can, and thought I would post a pic. I have been trying to work on my heat control a bit and I'm starting to get it under control

Attachments

• 20150425_183756.jpg
    20150425_183756.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 224
if0iz9.jpg

Aluminum TIG on a pontoon. 40 hour day job gettin checks...

fcpcev.jpg

Finished getting the hardtail prepped on the XS.

And a few other random pics....

IMAG0303.jpg

Kawi W2 output spline in harley belt primary...

IMAG0041_zps368d9024.jpg

.045" dual shield vertical up

if0iz9.jpg

Aluminum TIG on a pontoon. 40 hour day job gettin checks...

fcpcev.jpg

Finished getting the hardtail prepped on the XS.

And a few other random pics....

IMAG0303.jpg

Kawi W2 output spline in harley belt primary...

IMAG0041_zps368d9024.jpg

.045" dual shield vertical up
I love the way the flux just falls off dual when done right.
I unblocked a collapsed exhaust pipe on a xl250 by drilling a couple holes threw one end of the collapse, and a air chizle threw t'other. now just need to patch the outter hole. Cant do it till I get a new collar Im getting burned out and milled at work next week. Hope it works.

you don't know the half of it bro...... factories traded on nasdaq can be a bitch to work for.

Last edited:
you don't know the half of it bro...... factories traded on nasdaqe can be a bitch to work for.

Hi angus,
yeah, so can Western research establishments run from back east.
Hell hath no stupidity like a scientist promoted into management.
Got laid off at an awkward age, too young to retire, too old to get a job.

TIG welded up a simple tire bead breaker out of some scrap square tubing and heavy hinge. Sand blasted and painted it as well. I bolt it to the wall in the shop.

Are there any recommendations for a home TIG unit?

Patched up the hole in my xl's exhaust pipe that I had drilled to clear a collapse in the exhaust. A coat of bbq black, and back in business. Started first kick, tuned in the carb, took it for a ride. Clutch is shot, ran out of gas at bottom of drive. Engine sounds healthy, though. compression is on low side. but for free, who am I to complain?

Nice looking beads Metal Wizard Machine!

Karbo as for a home machine it just depends what you want to do with it... If you need to weld aluminum it will be more expensive. There are a couple companies that are making "cheaper" tig machines. If you want a name brand it will cost you...

I bought a little Miller Maxstar 140 (DC only) a few years ago and it welded everything steel i put in front of it. But its about the lowest miller you can get.

I recently upgraded big time to an HTP Invertig 220... Has pulse features on DC and AC... Welds very nice...

welded some crap at work, like I do everyday. A supervisor quit yesterday, and now im being teased that I am the boss. fk that.

Nice looking beads Metal Wizard Machine!

Karbo as for a home machine it just depends what you want to do with it... If you need to weld aluminum it will be more expensive. There are a couple companies that are making "cheaper" tig machines. If you want a name brand it will cost you...

I bought a little Miller Maxstar 140 (DC only) a few years ago and it welded everything steel i put in front of it. But its about the lowest miller you can get.

I recently upgraded big time to an HTP Invertig 220... Has pulse features on DC and AC... Welds very nice...

Thanks dude!

I +1 the HTP machines. Great products.

I actually run an Everlast at my shop. The older Everlasts were crap. The new machines are actually pretty nice.

The key is to upgrade the torch, regulator and pedal.

Go with a ck torch, a nicer regulator and an SSC.

I weld everyday in a soul crushing factory. Oh goody! Its review time! Hope i get a 2% raise!

I'm starting to look for a small welder for the garage.

Any thoughts on a Millermatic 211?

Pete

Still running a snap on mig I bought used 30 years ago. Had an older transformer sq wave miller and a cheap chinese TIG for a while, sold em both, the chinese actually was better/easier to weld with. One day when I'm feeling rich I'll buy an AlphaTIG 200X. Welded a replacement damper rod inside my wood stove with the oxy acetylene last weekend. Bought the oxy/acetyl rig last summer, a bit here, a bit there. Fun getting back to gas welding but man does it heat up the parts.........

Last edited:
Some skill in this thread.

If anyone wants practice on thin gauge steel, shoot me a PM. I have a front and rear fender that I can ship you that need modification :-D I'll pay.

Thanks 2M - good information. From what I can tell, the brands to beat (the are available to me here in Canada) are Lincoln and Miller with the MM211 edging ahead because of the dual input voltage setup. The Miller seems to have a better, more robust wirefeed mechanism but it seems that each brand has its fans and almost any of them will do light duty welding such as brackets on bike frames, lawnmower repairs and so-on.

Hmmmmm.....decisions, decisions.

Back