What did you weld or what do you need to weld today...

Thought I was done welding because I couldn't see a damn thing. Took my auto shade helmet with a 250 cheater into the Lincon shop to see if there was anything they could do to help. The guy behind the counter said " I've been here 15 years and this helmet was obsolete when I started. When was the last time you put new lenses in?" Ahh... Never. They put a new cheater and all new lenses in and It was like being reborn.. I can now turn out the same crappy welds I was able to do 15 years ago.......Don't you just love a happy ending.

Bought used speedglas that was a POS (lens was shot) but the seller traded it for a miller he also had, THAT is a great helmet, best I ever had,,, When I wear it. I swear most of my welding involves closing my eyes and MIG'ing blind.

I use a hand held shield and pretty much always have. It's not auto darkening but really doesn't need to be. You can swing it back and forth in front of your face quick enough as you strike your arc. I hate wearing one of those helmets. I do have several but rarely, if ever, use them. What I have taken to wearing is the full clear face shield when grinding and buffing. I love that thing. Also, the $1.99 HF ear muffs for noise protection when grinding and cutting steel. Love them too.

Have you ever seen some of the welding videos form overseas( I wont name the countries), they just wave their hand in front of their eyes to break the arc flash.

Back