What have you done to your XS today?

Today I've disassembled a vintage tommaselli super pratic b throttle grip and adjusted and drilled treads for the housing of my throttle cable 2in1. Then I've mounted the drive guide slider and prepped for the coming clutch cable. All in all a great day with my bike.

Today the weather was fantstic.
I started up the XS warmed her up a bit.
Then went for a short ride about 10 minutes.
By the rattle in the top end I was sure I needed to adjust the cam chain tension I was right. adjusted the timming too.
Then it was time for a ride right?
No no no! I looked down at the voltmeterand all I see is battery voltage, It's not getting a charge. I throttle up a few times, no change in voltage. bummer.
This system only has 5 to 6 hours on it.
With the problems I've been reading about I'm thinking about going back to OEM rotor/stator with my soildstate reg/rec combo I put together. never had a problem with that set up.
O BTW i did go riding for a few hours just not the XS650 sad to say.

Today the weather was fantstic.
I started up the XS warmed her up a bit.
Then went for a short ride about 10 minutes.
By the rattle in the top end I was sure I needed to adjust the cam chain tension I was right. adjusted the timming too.
Then it was time for a ride right?
No no no! I looked down at the voltmeterand all I see is battery voltage, It's not getting a charge. I throttle up a few times, no change in voltage. bummer.
This system only has 5 to 6 hours on it.
With the problems I've been reading about I'm thinking about going back to OEM rotor/stator with my soildstate reg/rec combo I put together. never had a problem with that set up.
O BTW i did go riding for a few hours just not the XS650 sad to say.

I bet its due to that Windows 8 "Badtimes" virus that TwoMany just warned us about.

Then again, recent high sunspot activity may be distorting the earth's magnetic field, which is almost certain to inhibit proper operation of PMA's. OEM alternators seem to be immune to these disturbances.:D

I bet its due to that Windows 8 "Badtimes" virus that TwoMany just warned us about.

Then again, recent high sunspot activity may be distorting the earth's magnetic field, which is almost certain to inhibit proper operation of PMA's. OEM alternators seem to be immune to these disturbances.:D

:laughing: that made me laugh for sure.I needed that :thumbsup:

got my wheels back from powder coating yesterday. Next week will be new bearings and mount the tires.
Ive heard of others laying the motor down on its side and setting the frame over it and installing it that way and I may just do it that way this time to see if its easier.

got my wheels back from powder coating yesterday. Next week will be new bearings and mount the tires.
Ive heard of others laying the motor down on its side and setting the frame over it and installing it that way and I may just do it that way this time to see if its easier.

I've just done it and it was a doddle. Put some cardboard down, then a dust sheet. Put the engine down on the right side with the clutch side case off, facing up. Put a 3-4'' block of wood or something under the engine somewhere to get it levelish. Place the frame over the engine and it should sit pretty level with the mounts. Then with it being on the sheet over the board it is easy to jiggle them together :thumbsup:

photo36_zps9ffb990b.jpg

Then just drag it back on the bench, all neanderthal like,,

photo37_zpsd6764609.jpg

:laugh:

Last edited:
I removed every thing needed to figure out what went wrong with PMA.
One of the stator wires was ground down to bare wire by the rotor.
Bummer. I fixed the problem so it wont happen again.
In a few I will start her up to see if will work again. Hope so.

just got in from a short ride.
When I first started her the charging system showed signs no operation.
After about 30 to 40 seconds of running the voltage showed signs of charge after about 20 more seconds the charge was up to 14.1 to 14.3 volts
So I guess it's GTG for a while longe.
I looked closely at the stator. It looks to wound very tightly and uniformly.
No signs of damage
I am also going to pull off the sticker and let the holes be exposed and open the cover to let some air in

Weather's been poor lately, so not much riding, but my good wife suggested yesterday that I spend some time in the garage. Got the xs started and let it warm and idle for a while. Then I put the battery on the tender, something I should have done a month ago. Can't wait 'til spring!

I also just about finished up the AT1 I've been fixing. With the gas tank on and no fuel leaks, all it needs is an adjustment to the oil pump and I can get it out of my garage and focus on the KZ750.

I recently bought a 1981 XS650 Special, here is what I got done so far. Check my cam chain tensioner, adjusted my valve clean and adjusted carbs, currently going through all the wiring and changing oil and taking sump plate off and right oil screen.

Last edited:
Hey guys I have a question about the oil change, Not sure when this ran last (the last inspection sticker was 1987) the engine does turn by hand, but I don't want all the junk going through my engine, when changing oil should I use something to flush the engine out?

Hey guys I have a question about the oil change, Not sure when this ran last (the last inspection sticker was 1987) the engine does turn by hand, but I don't want all the junk going through my engine, when changing oil should I use something to flush the engine out?

The sump oil filter should catch any debris in your engine, granted it's not stuck elsewhere. Pull your sump filter and see what you got, it's magnetic as well.

Tried to start the SG today. She wasn't in the mood to start and didn't. Pulled the tank to reroute fuel lines. I have a standard tank with 2 petcocks for 1 fuel feed. Of course the connection points anywhere but where I want it to. And they are close to the top of the carbs. Pulled carbs to clean. It's been sitting a few months. Not even a shot of carb cleaner would get a rumble from the pipes. I had good spark. Will clean the carbs tomarrow.

Yesterday I cleaned and tightened most everything on the ole XS.
I decided to install the new oil filter cover.
going for a ride today

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 146
I will adjust my chain after church and go for a ride. I had a short ride yesterday and I am still grinning.

Posted via Mobile

i got back from a 50 plus mile ride. Bike ran great but is a little rich not much. I need to tweek the carbs a bit. These VM34's are great.

Posted via Mobile

Back