What have you done to your XS today?

Ordered these the other day, should be picking them up today:
chain & sprockets.PNG

Also ordered some stock alloy tubing to make up rear axle spacer.

My plan this winter was to fully rewire the bike and build my own harness using Moto Gadget from Germany, and REVIVAL kit from America.
All the MOTO GADGET kit turned up quickly; but the REVIVAL momentary switches were out of stock when I ordered them in October 2021.
Well the good news is that the REVIVAL kit turned up today.👏 The momentary switches are much better than the M-Gadget kit for fit and finish.

1.PNG
2.PNG

Probably too late to start that project, but we'll see. If I do go ahead follow in the Welsh Flat Tracker Revival build thread. :devil:

Last edited:
When I hit the starter button yesterday there was an awful dry grinding noise and I thought maybe one of the bolts in the clutch basket that replaced the rivets was hitting the cases or the aftermarket circlip on the starter gear had come offso I removed the clutch cover to have a look and it was all as it should be. I then removed the tappet covers and turned the engine over with a wrench on the alternator rotor nut and it's all, rotates freely. I then removed the left side cover and the starter gear plate with the two gears and tried the starter and the noise was still there even when it was not cranking the engine. It was hard to turn the shaft by hand at first but after hitting the starter button a few times the noise stopped and it spun freely?I did replace both the starter seals when I recently had the engine out but I have used it daily since then and the starter has worked fine so maybe a bearing has collapsed?. Looks like I will be taking the starter out and taking it apart.

My plan this winter was to fully rewire the bike and build my own harness using Moto Gadget from Germany, and REVIVAL kit from America.
All the MOTO GADGET kit turned up quickly; but the REVIVAL momentary switches were out of stock when I ordered them in October 2021.
Well the good news is that the REVIVAL kit turned up today.👏 The momentary switches are much better than the M-Gadget kit for fit and finish.

View attachment 209861View attachment 209863

Probably too late to start that project, but we'll see. If I do go ahead follow in the Welsh Flat Tracker Revival build thread. :devil:

You installing the m unit? If so I'd be interested to hear how you make out as that's on my "buy it" list

Removed the starter and connected to a battery, roughly every second rotation gets the screatching noise happening. Disassembled starter and all looks OK.?

Worn out bushings / bearings? Are screws tight?
I put a small dab of dielectric grease on the armature shaft where it sits in the bush in the end plate and gave the area of the brushes a spray of contact cleaner then reassembled the starter and connected to a battery and it worked well. Fitted to the engine and it works good again so went for a ride with the wife following on her meteor and all was well until the neutral light came on in 5th gear and stayed on all the time and the head light started flickering. Then my wife told me the tail light stopped working so we headed back home. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet except to check the tail light and the bulb is ok so ill be delving into it tomorrow after work. I recently replaced the entire wiring harness so I've obviously got something wired wrong.??

You installing the m unit? If so I'd be interested to hear how you make out as that's on my "buy it" list
Hi JesseeS
Yes I have an M-Unit and MG-Button bus unit, MG-Bar End flashers, plus rear MG-Flashers; MG-Wiring harness Kit too.
When I start this it will be documented in 'The Welsh Flat Tracker Revival' thread.
Ads.

Took Miss November out for a run - just to blow away the cobwebs sort of thing. But wouldn't run right at all. Started after two or three, maybe it was four or five kicks. Gave a minute of slight throttle, fast tickover to warm up then set off. Right away, didn't feel happy.

Fine accelerating but horrible on small throttle or closed throttle. Popping, banging, holding back. Pulled over into the caravan park a few miles down the road so's to do a U-turn and the engine stopped. Re-started first kick, but promptly stopped again. Again re-started first kick and this time gave some throttle to keep running and gunned her back along the road. Riding back through the village, you've guessed, horrible - popping, banging, holding back.

My guess it's a clear case of modernfuelitis. Pilots must be gummed up. Our guru 5T says you can pull the float bowls with the carbs on the bike but they are awkkard to get to so I might just take off the tank and pull the carbs off to get at them proper like. So I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Took Miss November out for a run - just to blow away the cobwebs sort of thing. But wouldn't run right at all. Started after two or three, maybe it was four or five kicks. Gave a minute of slight throttle, fast tickover to warm up then set off. Right away, didn't feel happy.

Fine accelerating but horrible on small throttle or closed throttle. Popping, banging, holding back. Pulled over into the caravan park a few miles down the road so's to do a U-turn and the engine stopped. Re-started first kick, but promptly stopped again. Again re-started first kick and this time gave some throttle to keep running and gunned her back along the road. Riding back through the village, you've guessed, horrible - popping, banging, holding back.

My guess it's a clear case of modernfuelitis. Pilots must be gummed up. Our guru 5T says you can pull the float bowls with the carbs on the bike but they are awkkard to get to so I might just take off the tank and pull the carbs off to get at them proper like. So I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.
Popping the fuel bowls off with carbs intact isnt do bad. The two outside screws on each carb are a breeze to remove. The other two can’t be seen so you have to feel for them with the screwdriver tip. I remove the invisible ones first then the easy ones next. I use a 2” #2 JIS bit on the end of a 1/4” ratcheting wrench. Putting them back on is easy. Any inspection mirror can help locate the inboard screws.

With these old bikes, many times they need a bit of tweaking in the beginning of the season, unlike a fuel injected bike where you turn the key and go. That’s the charm of owning a vintage bike.

One other thing to try is replace the fuel with fresh gas. A friend who owned a small engine shop always did this and he claimed 50% of machines having issues that arrived in his shop were due to “wintered” gas.

Gopd luck and keep us posted.

My guess it's a clear case of modernfuelitis.
I am blessed with readily available E0. I am very thankful for that. Waking my machines up is painless. I just started my mower for the first time since November. It fired up as if I mowed the place last week.

My XS650 got the back end all buttoned up. I have left only replacing the three cables and changing the oil.

Re: modernfuelitis: that’s why I always top up the tank with fresh, ethanol free fuel for the winter and add stabilizer, just in case it may do some good.
yes but fuel in float bowls evaporates off the stuff that ignites easy. Set petcocks to prime, open bowl drains run some fresh fuel through, see how it runs. Another cheap n easy is to seat the idle mix screws counting as you turn them in, then reset to where they were.
Just fired up madness for the fist time since November, usual cold start, using the button only took a crank or two to broom broom noises, after a couple minutes it was holding an idle. Nearly dumped it twice getting it thorugh the snow by the shed spinning tire on shush. I think it sounds good, next up a ride round the country roads for 5 r 10 miles cuz it's only 50F out today.

Popping the fuel bowls off with carbs intact isnt do bad. The two outside screws on each carb are a breeze to remove. The other two can’t be seen so you have to feel for them with the screwdriver tip. I remove the invisible ones first then the easy ones next. I use a 2” #2 JIS bit on the end of a 1/4” ratcheting wrench. Putting them back on is easy. Any inspection mirror can help locate the inboard screws.

With these old bikes, many times they need a bit of tweaking in the beginning of the season, unlike a fuel injected bike where you turn the key and go. That’s the charm of owning a vintage bike.

One other thing to try is replace the fuel with fresh gas. A friend who owned a small engine shop always did this and he claimed 50% of machines having issues that arrived in his shop were due to “wintered” gas.

Gopd luck and keep us posted.
I have been exchanging Allen cap screws or Phillips head whenever I disassemble some bit or other on my XS. Carbs done by PO but points / advance and handlebar switch gear recently. Float bowls drop out nice and easy like Bosco says. I put a little foil pan under the carbs to drain them first. The drippings go into the lawnmower or snowthrower.

Attachments

• 16478242047322150822247728924934.jpg
    16478242047322150822247728924934.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 51
Back