What have you done to your XS today?

The neutral light is activated when the neutral switch on top of the motor puts the light blue wire connected to it to ground. Sounds like your switch may have gone bad and is intermitantly grounding the light blue wire all the time. Try disconnecting the wire from the switch. If the neutral light goes out then the switch is bad. If it doesn't, the grounding is happening somewhere farther up the line.

The neutral light is activated when the neutral switch on top of the motor puts the light blue wire connected to it to ground. Sounds like your switch may have gone bad and is intermitantly grounding the light blue wire all the time. Try disconnecting the wire from the switch. If the neutral light goes out then the switch is bad. If it doesn't, the grounding is happening somewhere farther up the line.
Thanks 5twins, that's a straightforward way to troubleshoot the problem, much appreciated. I will try that after work today.

Wrapped baffles with fiberglass fabric from Speedway. I used stainless seizing wire. The end goes into the cone taper so I cut it short so there was no packing/compression. The wires will get snugged a little and tails cut off before reassembly.
16479028036743104630574268034150.jpg

Wrapped baffles with fiberglass fabric from Speedway. I used stainless seizing wire. The end goes into the cone taper so I cut it short so there was no packing/compression. The wires will get snugged a little and tails cut off before reassembly. View attachment 210053
Had to do the same thing with the baffle on my DT175 enduro. Old packing was saturated in oil and carbon. New stuff made the exhaust pretty quiet.

Took the headlight apart and found the sky blue wire was pinched and earthing through the headlight shell. Sheathed it with heat shrink and it's working OK now. Also cleaned up the end of the camshaft behind the boyer ignition with a new scotchbrite and replaced the 25-40-5 seal since it was leaking only 500 kilometres since rebuild.

Horn arrived so I wired up the connections, mounted it, turned on the key pressed the button and nothing.... A battery charger makes it beep. There is 12v on the hot. The pink ('77 per tech section schematic) shorts to ground (3=5 ohms) when I press the horn button.

The pink ('77 per tech section schematic) shorts to ground (3=5 ohms) when I press the horn button.
If you're saying 3-5 ohms, that's prolly too much for a horn. Should be a dead short. At minimum less than 1Ω.

They look nice, but the warning lights vibrated to the bottom of the case in the first year with mine, and the wagging needles never ever gave me any accurate readings. The tach never went above 5000rpm on mine. It was also a great pleasure trying to figure out why my Yamaha oem signals weren't working when it finally dawned on me I had to put diodes in to get them to work with the LEDs last time.

They look nice, but the warning lights vibrated to the bottom of the case in the first year with mine, and the wagging needles never ever gave me any accurate readings. The tach never went above 5000rpm on mine. It was also a great pleasure trying to figure out why my Yamaha oem signals weren't working when it finally dawned on me I had to put diodes in to get them to work with the LEDs last time.
Did you rubber mount those clocks. I recently purchased some of these and the boxes clearly state that rubber mounting is required.

Did you rubber mount those clocks. I recently purchased some of these and the boxes clearly state that rubber mounting is required.
I put some rubber grommets in the holes in the top triple clamp before putting the bolt through. We can get into a debate about Shore ratings :laugh2:, but I figured I had done enough to keep everything happy. the cables were well lubed as well. They were ok for a season or two then it went all spastic.

Back