What have you done to your XS today?

Having read many of the posts on this site, it is apparent that some people,despite having a great amount of enthusiasm, do not have an equal amount of comprehension. I appologise if the long winded nature of my written accounts appears arduous for those who are already very savvy.
Paragraphs help me time my breathing when I read out aloud!

I may be a bit early, but these days everything takes so much longer, so I decided to take advantage of our nice weather and start my winter prep. Got the XS put to bed. Oil change, plug change, removed battery, fogged cylinders. Made space in the shed and it actually fit nicely.

Bike went to the shed to make extra space so I can work on the beetle this winter. I also removed my rear set brackets and I’ll polish those over the winter.

The shed is dry and secure so the bike should store there well over the winter.

E6098684-CE45-40D1-8A08-C5F0D68CA924.jpeg
7EF9D8B1-B4E8-4560-91F7-9753D73BF863.jpeg
F8358D21-0E07-4C29-8888-3BE66B91D2D9.jpeg
3F70B196-E9D8-42CD-9C91-2F7E04C9AF96.jpeg
15568BF4-80E0-441C-8864-F0A9542E126F.jpeg

I may be a bit early, but these days everything takes so much longer, so I decided to take advantage of our nice weather and start my winter prep. Got the XS put to bed. Oil change, plug change, removed battery, fogged cylinders. Made space in the shed and it actually fit nicely.

Bike went to the shed to make extra space so I can work on the beetle this winter. I also removed my rear set brackets and I’ll polish those over the winter.

View attachment 253091View attachment 253092View attachment 253093View attachment 253094View attachment 253095
I take it you've changed your mind regarding selling the ole beauty after all? I remember seeing ads for it when I was on the cross country hunt/search for my 75. Either way, glad you've kept it. :thumbsup:

I take it you've changed your mind regarding selling the ole beauty after all? I remember seeing ads for it when I was on the cross country hunt/search for my 75. Either way, glad you've kept it. :thumbsup:
Yes she’s with me until next season for sure. You never know what will happen next year lol. I need to put some effort into getting the beetle going.

View attachment 253091View attachment 253092View attachment 253093View attachment 253094View attachment 253095
Ya' know it ain't good for them to sit. Don't you love the bike enough to give it a Florida vacation? I'd be happy to host it for you.

Having read many of the posts on this site, it is apparent that some people,despite having a great amount of enthusiasm, do not have an equal amount of comprehension. I appologise if the long winded nature of my written accounts appears arduous for those who are already very savvy.
Hang on to your ass Fred,”cuz we goin’ for a ride.Or,write a short/long unincriminating story of the
Preserving a spare 79 tank just in case.Cleaning and testing before any more paint preparation or paint.
I’m known to overtext.lol

Attachments

• D063CA26-059D-4ABD-A6DA-5D0870BA4644.jpeg
    D063CA26-059D-4ABD-A6DA-5D0870BA4644.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 40
Me too, as I have a history with Beetles. My first car was a '66, next one was a '59, then a '73 Super and finally a '68. Love to hear about yours.
My first was a 65 Beetle. Later in life my daughter's first was a 73 beetle, son's first was a 72 Squareback, wife was driving a 72 K-G at the time and I was driving a 73 Westphalia which doubled as my tow vehicle for my Formula Vee. My garage looked like a VW repair shop. Always had a ready to go 009 Bosch distributor in the van, as all of them were running one along with the tools to install if something happened. Ahhh.... I miss those days of simplicity.

Ahhh.... I miss those days of simplicity.
I recently rode a 500 mile day on the XS650. I was carrying a spare TCI box, a pickup coil, and if I hadn’t installed it in someone else’s bike, I’d have had a spare rotor and puller. What else could possibly leave me stranded?

De
I recently rode a 500 mile day on the XS650. I was carrying a spare TCI box, a pickup coil, and if I hadn’t installed it in someone else’s bike, I’d have had a spare rotor and puller. What else could possibly leave me stranded?
Having a chuckle and definitely can relate to this.Most always the guy/gal that inevitably would be late,fly from the seat of their pants,needed to borrow gas money seemingly always got to the destination first and had the biggest smile.😏✅

Took my old carburrettors off today. I really dont know which model the existing carbs originated from but the right carbs arrived today. Much easier to understand two carbs, two tick over adjusters, two cables, one interconnected enriching device. The ( new to me) 650B carbs have been ultrasound cleaned but contain white deposits so they just need a wash out with petrol and blowing through a bit before i fit them out with jets, floats etc. I have to change the righthand switchgear with double cable twist grip but that's hardly an issue, since I have a refurbed set up already done. Amazing what a bit of masking tape and a rattle can of silk finish black paint can do with knackered switchgear which came from the pound bin at an autojumble. I did find a manifold air leak on the right hand manifold which is a bonus. solves another problem.

Whaahdid to-day fer the ol' gal. Slapped tires and freed clutch, kicked 'er twice...used 'lectric and began to curse...she fired.... the flatslides flood really easy... let 'er run round the "track" under my dubious condition...said "track" is mostly copphree 10 miles of alfalfa and 1.5 lane blacktop loop round the digs...with occasional cows and beached whales (ranchers' wives) Filled tank, added stabil...covered 'er up to fend off the cat. Another beer. Good 'til November... I really do need to put on the fork dust seals and new gaiters.... Best, fellas.

Today, I fitted a set of original specification carbs to my 1975 650B. I have to sort out two throttle cables and right hand switchgear and so the new carbs arent set up yet but I am sure that will be an easy non issue. I also repositioned the ignition coils and hooter to the right position. I am uncertain as to why they had been repositioned to an alternative location. I shall trial fit the petrol tank tomorrow but I see no reason for it not to fit. I have obtained some A2 stainless M6 bolts which I am filing the writing off the heads and then bright polishing on the buffing wheel. My idea is to replace the 10 chrome plated screws which hold the mudguard stays to the mudguard and to the bottom of the forklegs. The chrome plating on the originals was mostly gone and making the mudguards look a bit naff. Whilst filing I am adding a slight dome since that is how the originals are. the job would be quicker if I had a lathe.

Back