What have you done to your XS today?

I bought the bike in October, stripped it down, made changes. Today I put gas in the tank and on the fourth kick it came to life. It idles, throttles...I am so happy. Maybe tomorrow I will install the chain and go for a putt. my website is at www.mryeats.com

Attachments

• 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 163
Took my complete wheels minus tires, to the someone to sandblast and powder coat today. 75.00 each
he does good work he did my sons wheels on his astro van.

Today I fitted a new tacho drive rod, if that's what it's called. Drilled and tapped new treads in where a screw were overtightened. Then refitted the kickstarter with Springs etc and mounted a new tommaselli clutch handle. Gonna be great when riding season starts, right now it's zero outside⭐

Today I took off the front end of the bike. The wheels are out to get blasted and powder coated so I am going to shave and polish the lowers while I wait for the wheels. Got tires tubes waiting to be put on too.
I do not know if I want to shave the 4 fender mounts because I may want to add fork supports if that is what they are called. Ive heard they do make a difference but unsure if they make them for 34mm fork front end. Any comments on this would be appreciated.
And not totally about the xs but have to rack that 6 gall of home brew tomorrow..

Search Hughs Handbuilt forkbrace or Gordon Scott fork brace. Both make a nice one and should fit the 34's no problem.

Over the past week I installed new headlight bucket, headlight ears, mini gauges, and all wired up on my cafe build.

Then on Friday I finished fitting the new fiberglass seat pan which I shortened a bit...and I spent a little while lowering the gas tank mounting points (3/4" lower) so it sits level.

Finally, I spent today stripping off all the hardware on the tank/side panels so I can get it off to paint on Monday.

I modifided the woodruff key in the crank to use with PMA and got it installed.
Now maybe I can time this thing.
checked the valves too.

Why do you need the key? The reason Im asking is Ive got the hhb pma and have not installed it yet.

Search Hughs Handbuilt forkbrace or Gordon Scott fork brace. Both make a nice one and should fit the 34's no problem.

I did in fact check them out. I think on this one Im going to shave them off and not go with the brace,

Why do you need the key? The reason Im asking is Ive got the hhb pma and have not installed it yet.

Hey cruzin, I torqued down the rotor to 29lbs but the rotor still would slightly spin on the crank.
Which ment I could not use a timing light to time the engine.
I'm sure i was close with the timing but close isn't close enough for me

Not sure how I missed your posts but I did
your gonna have to name that bike "Chilly Pepper"
like that idea.
Did you make your pipes? Are the ends plugged and the holes in the side where the exhaust comes out? is that for reducing back pressure?
No they are made by joewiseguy called hotrod pipes.
Yes the ends are pluged.
Don't know, But with the end plugged I think it will increase back pressure.
the reason I think this is the sound bounces off the end and tries to return up the pipe.

Went to tighten and torque down the PMA I found the trany wont shift into gear.
It was shifting just fine when I road it last
I'm having way to much fun with this engine.
Guess I'm going into the right side yet again.
I am making the first oil change anyway so no loss there.
Oil drain plugs were more crudy than I was expecting.

I try shifting and shifting and it stays in neutral
short video of me trying to shift it into gear

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 155
I'm guessing something wrong or missing with your selector fork.........

Hey Airwolfie, How's it going? Yes something wrong with the selector fork.
I'm going to have to remove the clutch basket to get at it.
It has popped out from behind the star.
That wil teach me not to check everything the guy did. at least that's the only place I didn't check except the inside

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 158
Well I ventured out in the frosty garage and tore off the carbs off the old xs project bike.
Figured I go in a different direction. Instead of mods and fab I'm going to try to get her running the winter. So a lot of carb research is in my future. Thinking a disassemble and good cleaning, a rebuild kit is a good start. Any suggestions welcome

I am good thanks brother!

Looks like it's nothing serious! Good luck, if you need any at all!!
Thats good to hear Man
Don't look to bad.
Oh I need all the good luck I can get. Thanks Bro.

Not sure why the selector popped out but I had put it back into place before I took the clutch apart.Now that I have it apart looks like I could have left the basket in place.
Sure don't like the part about not knowing why.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Hey Carbon---I don't hate you any more, I feel sorry for you. That motor has been a fight for you I know but I'm betting you will win. Good luck. tim

Hey Carbon---I don't hate you any more, I feel sorry for you. That motor has been a fight for you I know but I'm betting you will win. Good luck. tim

Cool Man, In all our lives a little rain must fall
Me and this engine will have some more good times
Right On!
I'll not quit.
Thank You

Back