What have you done to your XS today?

Finally on the road, just got it inspected and took my 1981 XS650 Special to work, over a years work of done to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 192
Nice job Richard!

I like your exhaust...Which pipes are those? It looks like you used your stock headers...then cut them (?) and added what look like Commandos, but maybe Dunstalls? Are they from Mikes? If so, how do you like them?

Finally on the road, just got it inspected and took my 1981 XS650 Special to work, over a years work of done to it.

Hi richard,
nice job.
IMHO the rototiller bars do not handle well, I'd advise that you swap them for something lower and straighter.
Then drill the brake disk, upgrade to stainless brake lines and swap in a front brake lever with a smaller diameter piston.

Last night I got the cover off the '79 speedo and cleaned the glass and reattached the face and reassembled. Today I removed the spare speedo and original tach (it's face is spinning too) and reinstalled the '79 speedo that I fixed last night. Tonight I'm starting on the tach to reattach the face.

Took the SG to attend a local carshow. The had it take me to a burger place for lunch. Then a nice local ride. About 63 mile run. Oh yeah, I had reintalled an old speedo that had its face resecured with screws. On to the tach with the spinning face. Working on getting the ring loose....It take time...and patience....lots of patience....

Fixed the spinning face on the Tach. Reinstalled it and used the new tach cable I got from ebay since the old one broke. Took the SG for a 75mi. test ride. Nice to see both gauges useble again. No more spinning faces.

Disaster struck the other day, took my tank off to sort the carbs and fuel leaked out of the filler cap down the tank and lifted the paint aroung the filler cap I have to respray the tank. I have decided to go for a marble look with Candy apple Red top coat silver stenciled chequer strip and twin coach lines, and a clear coat finish. doing it myself
IMAG1719_zps78l1weuz.jpg

Last edited:
[/IMG]Heres how far i have got ,,, now waiting for Candy apple red ,,, then clear coat

Attachments

• IMAG1722_zpszhz0y2d0.jpg
    IMAG1722_zpszhz0y2d0.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
This thread has fallen from grace...over the weekend got all the welding done on my frame to make seat and oil tank fit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451967238.654924.jpg

And got my brembo sorted out for this new rotor using a Motolanna rotor spacer, brakes should be solid! Don't be to hard on me anti chop guys!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451967311.248188.jpg

This thread has fallen from grace...over the weekend got all the welding done on my frame to make seat and oil tank fit.
View attachment 60260

And got my brembo sorted out for this new rotor using a Motolanna rotor spacer, brakes should be solid! Don't be to hard on me anti chop guys!
View attachment 60261

She is going to be a head turner.
And you will love the Brembo upgrade
You will be able to stop using only one finger, But i still use three anyway

Yeah lets get this thread back in action.
I'm waiting on mr crank weld. The current promise is Wednesday but you know how that goes. So I'm scrubbing, cleaning crankcases and heads, WooHoo!

Back