What have you done to your XS today?

Not mine but I had to share.

engraved side cover.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Scorpion.engraving/

engraved side cover.jpg

379a75475e207da068169068d5df26ed.jpg

Going back to my roots. Some serious experimentation on some trim for a seat pan. African mahogany. Wish me luck I will need it
I've been working on a bamboo seat pan and replacement rear fender. I'm replacing the plastic fender piece with the bamboo 1' strips I pressed and glued together and will be sanding in a replacement shape....lots of sanding. I have about 18" of snow right now but when it melts I'll throw up some pics (my work area is in my pole barn)
a71caaacea58ba48dfa53951b6d4ace8.jpg

Got the thing idling! Spent forever tracking down electrical issues. The bike in the video is a 1980 I hardtailed...Last week I picked up a 1981 Special II(Not going to cut it up), with 7700 miles in great condition for free! I spent quite a while swapping out the electrical parts trying to track down the problem for why I had no spark...I just happened to press on the ignition fuse and then the neutral light lit up! Somehow the splice for the wire that goes to the buss fuse wasn't good..All fixxed now. Well kind of. Left side is noticeably hotter than the right. At least I have it narrowed down to one side! lol.

el9xsi.jpg

Ordered some rebuild kits from 659 Direct, took their last ones for the single piston calliper and master and so had to get the bits ready. I'm building a few extra for later this year.

Once I got the pistons out, I decided to clean up and repaint them. Lots of time to do and I still have to finish masking! Plus I'll have to bleed them through a tube so I don't melt the Rustoleum.

Attachments

• SAM_2462.jpg
    SAM_2462.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 184
  • SAM_2469.jpg
    SAM_2469.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 187
Thanks, I had forgotten about that sort of paint, thinking about trimming masking tape and not seeing the bigger picture.

Payday resulted in:
Front & rear wheel bearing kits
Tc bros headlight mount ( for bates style center mount)
Black ProBolt engine hardware kit

Harbor freight:
Torque wrench was on sale for $11.
Bearing puller set

Progress,right?

Looks nice but you won't have any buttcrack left after the first bump on the road!! :eek::yikes::yikes:

Needs a fender AND space to compress under that seat! I got std shocks on mine and it bottoms out occasionally!:bike:

Those photos were prior to the seat spring install. It now sits high enough away from the tire to allow room for compression and my weight.

Finally got around to swapping my Heritage Special's stock glass tube fuse block for a Scallywag triple blade mini-fuse block plus a single blade fuse holder to hold the 20Amp main fuse.
Dunno WTF Scallywag don't stock a 4-way but what I got works OK.
Step by step installation procedure made it easy to do it right.
Solder & shrink-sleeve the connections.
Clip the red wire pair and hook up the single fuse holder to them.
Clip each of the other pairs and connect them to a fuse in the triple block one pair at a time so you don't get confused.
Clip 'em all at once and you got 4 red&white wires and mebbe 7 out of 8 ways to hook 'em up wrong.

I put 200 miles of AZ backroad highway under the SG's tires. Tucson to Ft. Hachuca. Not an inch of it was on I-10. A good ride. The SG ran and sounded great.

I was curious and checked the SG's valve clearence. Got the tools, rags and manual out. Positioned the bike in the bikeport so I would have ample room and turned the radio on. Valve and alternater covers on the left side off. Sparkplugs removed. Found TDC with the screwdriver thru the plug hole and marked the rotor since it did not have that mark. Valve clearances were spot on. Removed the RT side valve covers and spun the crankshaft one revolution. Feelers out and again the clearances were spot on. All covers reinstallled. Sparkplugs reinstalled and reconnected. She cranked right up/ Gotta love that!

Last edited:
azman, use something a bit softer, like a straw. If you use some thing hard, and just holding it in your hand, it could get caught between the piston and cylinder. tdc stops are different because they are bolted via the plug threads, and wont slip around. food for thought.
I put my 71's battery on a tender.

Back