What have you done to your XS today?

Just sold this one

Attachments

• Special2.jpg
    Special2.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 58
I fitted some fork leg inners in order to replace the pitted ones. Somewhat surprised to find that I ordered XS500 ones instead. same part number but preceded by the XS500 designation. quite cheap by comparison, well they were identical to by XS650B fork inners so ...result! Triumph plucked from the jaws of defeat. I'd read somewere that you shouldnt confuse seemingly the same Yamaha part numbers with items from another model. I ordered XS500 ones by mistake and saved myself a tidy sum.

Changed out both oil filters, replaced all 3 gaskets, fresh oil (Rotella T6).
Removed the buckhorns & replaced them with UK spec T140V handlebars & new grips.
Fixed a wonky turn signal switch, installed a good LED headlight bulb & stripped down the new seat I received from @jetmechmarty. I already cut the foam down to a flatter profile & took it to the upholstery guy. $100 & it'll be done Friday. Monday at the latest.
I was expecting him to say November!
Oh, I got it registered in TN & all legal too 😃
Unfortunately severe storms have curtailed my test ride for the day.

Went for a spin on the bike and parked for a moment to tweak the carb adjustments. Noticed lots of oil dripping from the cam chain tensioner. Got home, disassembled the tensioner and replaced the oring on the acorn nut cap (Oring was flat and very hard). Then I noticed the large 27mm lock nut had some damage to the sealing face. The damage occurred because I was lazy the other day and snugged it up with an open end wrench, when I should have put a socket on it. Anyway, a couple of minutes with a fine small file and all is good again.
Went out for a good ride tonight. Bike is running well. Got home and while idling in the driveway I heard a rattling, chattering noise. I was disappointed since I had just adjusted valves and cam chain tensioner and the bike was so quiet last week. It was too late to look at it tonight so I wheeled it into the garage while it was still running (I usually run most of the gas out of the carbs after each use). As I rolled it in and hit the front brake, the rattling stopped. Go figure? A quick investigation showed the rattling noise was coming from 4 brake pads jumping around in the calipers. Good news, now I will see if there are missing anti rattle clips for the calipers.

Bike was due for an oil change so I decided to install the starter gear with the wire swage fitting on the clip to hold the tension.
The swage fitting was just slightly touching the part of the engine case that the starter gear clip used to sit in so I could have filed a bit off the swage fitting but I didn't want to weaken it so I filed a bit off the groove in the case that doesn't get used anymore.
I made sure the gear slides freely then put it all back together and it works great with no grinding yet.
Now I can start on the brakes as both the front disc's and the rear disc have started squealing a few months after I sanded the rotors?

G'day Ray, I squeezed the clip in the vice then put it on the gear and then I had to force the swage fitting to slide onto the clip , I was actually thinking it may have been too tight and wouldn't reIease when it should. Then I used the crimping pliers to squeeze the swage fitting hoping to hold the tension on the clip and it was hard to move by hand.
If the swage fitting is put on the clip before it's fitted to the gear it's very difficult to get the clip onto the gear but it may work.
Hope this helps, the circlip is meant to arrive today so I will post some pictures.
The picture of my home made gear clip was my first attempt, the clip needs to be closer to the gear so it clears the cases.View attachment 247250View attachment 247251
The starter gear fix didn't last long before it began not engaging properly so I took it out last night and it still has plenty of tension but I found that the swage fitting had been gouging the engine case when I hit the starter button even though I filed the swage fitting edges.
I filed off the gouges in the case planning on doing away with the swage fitting on the starter clip but realised I had fitted the swage fitting to the thinner old style clip and that it fits into the old original slot position and slides freely.
It took almost 8 kilo's to get the clip to slip so I have assembled it back together and will monitor the starter action for now.
So I would not recommend the swage fitting fix to avoid the damage to the engine case unless it is used on the old original type starter clip that will fit in the original position.
IMG20230810112345.jpg

I took her out today for a quick 30 mile test run. Absolutely perfect in every respect, but it really is needing that 32 tooth sprocket.

Also, having not really ridden in the 14 years (other than putting about on the TW) since I moved from the UK, it came as a real shock that you don't really cool down while you're riding, if it's 96°! Out of habit I put on me leathers. I'll not be making that mistake again! I stewed my nuts! 🥵

I took her out today for a quick 30 mile test run. Absolutely perfect in every respect, but it really is needing that 32 tooth sprocket.

Also, having not really ridden in the 14 years (other than putting about on the TW) since I moved from the UK, it came as a real shock that you don't really cool down while you're riding, if it's 96°! Out of habit I put on me leathers. I'll not be making that mistake again! I stewed my nuts! 🥵
I’m riding in a long sleeve tee shirt or not at all. I’ll run all my errands on the bike I can. Just because! A few more weeks of this and hopefully, we get a break.

Chased down and located a short to the ign coils on my 76 xs650C,Just replaced the speedo with a rebuilt unit.
Speedo cable snapped. Have been hunting on speedo repair posts and can't find which way to set my cordless drill to test the speedo before I sacrifice my last cable. Can anyone please advise me on that ? Naturally it had to break just before a bunch of us ride out to this local event . A great time for us locals and a couple of other provinces riders.
Even see the odd Montana plate .
Cheers fella's.
https://www.ridinalberta.ca/events-and-charity-rides/ride-to-the-reynolds

Went down the disc brake rabbit hole on the crustier of my two 1980 Specials.

I decided to rebuild rear caliper, master/slave cylinder and replace hose on the sticky rear brake.

It went so well and since I already had all the stuff out, may as well do the front (which worked fine as is by the way) right?

Wrong....sucked all the old fluid out of master cylinder and found a thick, thick bunch of goop in the bottom, some of which ended up blocking the hose when bleeding, etc...

So it started dragging after fresh fluid purge. Yep, just ordered new hoses, master cylinder/caliper rebuild kits to do the front now too. 😆

When I get done with this one, I'll move on to the cherrier of the two 1980's and do it front and rear too. 👍

Got up early this morning & felt all motivated.
I got my rear brake shoes replaced & switched out the standard sprocket for a 32 tooth, then took it for a brief ride. Night & day difference! I'm shocked how much smoother she feels.
The upholsterer didn't open until 8, so i made a shopping list of bits needed to bolt a rifle boot into my TW & spent a half hour in the old hardware store that has everything. $65 later & I ran down to the upholstery dude to pick up my shiny new, flat seat. It was a little more than he originally quoted, but I did call & ask for a little bit of piping I hadn't originally specified. $90 & it's pretty damn close to matching the paint! It's subtle, but I like it.

20230816_102935.jpg

20230816_102954.jpg

Back