What have you done to your XS today?

20230825_172102.jpg
Freshly Recovered Seat for '79
I bought a '78 Special last year and it came with a bunch of extra bits, including this seat that p o had carefully disassembled and left in a box. He had tried to shave the rear foam down, but must have realized the cover would not look right. The base was pretty clean and no captive nuts were stripped so I sprayed it with Rustoleum and took it to the upholsterer.
Just picked it up and mounted it, I like how it looks.

I started to check the carburettor settings. One float height was at the soaking the gasket joint and the other float height was about 10mm:(. I am fiddling around adjusting both float heights. So far , I ve actually had both of them right but not at the same time because I made a mistake and readjusted the one I'd just got set perfectly! doh! I also noted that despite running a standard exhaust system and home made air filters made out of layers of foam glued together, a previous owner had fitted 140 main jets. This goes some way to explaining the feelings I got through riding the bike home form the vendor. I was convinced that the bike needed the carbuettors ballancing. Differing float heights would have done the trick but the home made air filter and mesh did seem to work ok since there was none of that breathless feel when I opened up the throttle. During the process of taking off the cabs, I noted that the cam chain tensioner had been overly tightened by about half a turn:( On the bright side, I have only done bout 30 miles and will not have incurred much damage:) I have ordered standard jet set from Yambits and already have new standard airfilters and clips. I also have inlet maniflods with ballancing spigots on them and they do fit the 38 mm mikunis. This will mean that if I also feel the need I can fit a vacuum tap or a chain oiler if I fancy it.:). While I wait for the jets to arrive, I will finaly finish off setting the float heights and I shall take out the swing arm, spray it and also repaint the battery box and air boxes. By the way, I have found that setting the float height by the wet manometer method is a sight more accurate than inverting the carb and measuring the distance to the joint face. Its 10 times more fiddly to use the manonmeter method since I'm taking the float bowl off and bending the float tang every time. I also found that the rubber in my syringe doesnt like petrol so having learnt that lesson I will be changing the petrolpipe and link pipe too.:) Hope that the carb kits arrive soon:thumbsup:

Decided to finally get the original front master cylinder ready to rebuild and have the right original mirror back on.The aftermarket worked so well after I put it on,I’ve been procrastinating no doubt.
My kit is here.Going with one from Mikes xs.Hoping to get at it this 3day weekend. I’ll take a picture or two and share later how it goes.

I was just thinking today…. I was planning to sell my ‘76 XS but it hasn’t sold yet, so over the winter maybe I should go with a big bore kit. Silly idea? If I do that, should I just rebuild the engine I have (that’s running very well), or buy another motor and swap it out. I guess if I swap it out I’ll have a stock motor for sale and I don’t know what the market would be for that. Any thoughts?

Should this be a new thread?

My kit is here.Going with one from Mikes xs.Hoping to get at it this 3day weekend. I’ll take a picture or two and share later how it goes.
Internet is bonkers out here with the campers coming for the weekend. I’m full focused,getting some productive m/c time in before Saturday morning.

Attachments

• 722E1AA4-5B1B-4254-81C2-B218A3401E84.jpeg
    722E1AA4-5B1B-4254-81C2-B218A3401E84.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 43
I was just thinking today…. I was planning to sell my ‘76 XS but it hasn’t sold yet, so over the winter maybe I should go with a big bore kit. Silly idea? If I do that, should I just rebuild the engine I have (that’s running very well), or buy another motor and swap it out. I guess if I swap it out I’ll have a stock motor for sale and I don’t know what the market would be for that. Any thoughts?

Advertise running motor for $500.00 and give $100.00 credit for a "core" and have a happy winter project.

Following on from my popping and banging GONZO ride a week ago.
Took the Chineesium GN250 box off. Checked all wiring connectors and refitted the GN250 box.
Pushed the bike out to the sunny shop forecourt and fired Taffy up.
Ran like a pooper scooping bastard pile of :poo:!

On a ride out / fishing day tomorrow, but sadly not with Taffy.
The Brat (GS1200) will take over ride duties; and a day fishing the river Wye around Goodrich Castle to look forward to.
Capture.PNG

Above image show Goodrich castle on the banks of the Wye.

Hey Bosco, I would build the BBK engine on a new core...whether there is a market for your good runner or not. I can't really rationalize this view other than it seems counter-intuitive to tear down a good runner.

I've rode it less than 100 miles so far and have only been to about 55 mph. It tracks well and corners quite well. I like taking it to Motorcycles on Main in Mesa AZ the first Friday of the month. Nothing but praise so far among the Harley riders. I plan on riding it a lot during AZ bike week.
I just stumbled on this thread. Interested in the Motorcycles on Main. Do you know if it’s still an event? Is it more of a Harley thing?

20230920_152514.jpg
It's a Gas at the Ethanol Plant
Today I installed 140 jets in the low miles Special because of the new Ascot exhaust. Keeping the air boxes so that should do it. Running well, plugs are a bit whiter than I am used to, going to Erieau for lunch tomorrow so that will put a half tank of has through it.
8129 km showing today.

View attachment 251743
It's a Gas at the Ethanol Plant
Today I installed 140 jets in the low miles Special because of the new Ascot exhaust. Keeping the air boxes so that should do it. Running well, plugs are a bit whiter than I am used to, going to Erieau for lunch tomorrow so that will put a half tank of has through it.
8129 km showing today.
C A R E F U L on jetting for the 2-into 1.

Refitted my @Jim rewound rotor this morning. No stress, no mess, no fuss. Until I clicked the ignition switch & realized that I'd forgotten to put the battery on charge.
I put it on a slow charge & the damn thing's died on me. I guess 500+ miles on battery power alone with no charging system drained it beyond repair.
*Sigh
New AGM battery ordered.

Back