What have you done to your XS today?

It's still in his garage as of a couple months ago.
There's some legal before a title transfer can occur.
That's one I'd love to own. On second thought, I would be more of a caretaker until I can't, and then let the next generation have it.

Last edited:
Went out to bark the old gal off, just for fun...it's raining...alas! Clickity once. This is mildly astonishing. A fuse ah suspicion... But THAT begs the question of why? Bummer... she's not let me down in a couple of years... Now if I had wired the bike... Actually I bought her in mint shape, in the 80's... but she's been through a lot of, ugh, changes...the brain parts are like rat nest. A 3 beer problem, I have no doubt. Now where's the meter....ugh! cat chit! Pause for beer... Later ;) !

Well, evidently AGM battery went open, zero volts. Applying charge voltage produced zero current even after an hour... I have had once an AGM in sportster go open and also short, intermittent open degenerated to dead short. That pulled the system below critical and machine ignition stopped. In this case simply open, as in internal "fused"... will crank on jumpers 2 1/2 years old... I still have 2 beers left...

Suggestions respecting new battery are welcome. As in sources and types... I favor AGM due to limited access...

Battery... the bike is a cobbled together street-track project.. originally I bought it like new from dry storage with 2k on the clock, rode it for years and left it out in the rain...and trashed it in a mild way as fellas do...and gave it away to a relative. Many years and configurations later it came back...so it's sorta butchered...anyway the original battery box remains and UPG 42048 fits... And I am a cheap old phucker...and it's raining... The Wallyworld is out of stock...nice price tho...(48.99 iirc) Interestingly, Harbor Freight stocks (SKU 62586 ) "generator battery (AGM)... the polarity of the terminals is reversed. And it's only 10 ampere... Still, $50 is not bad... I'll see about the cables and if it's reasonable. In any case it's nice to know... The HF had at lest 20 on the shelf... and who can say, maybe a radio project with a homebrew miniature solar. Thanks fellas...y'all found some sexy batteries!

Looking for a new Reg/Rec for my bike as its the only part of the electrical system I have not repleced.
Reading through Classic Bike this month came across this recommended supplier:

1.PNG

WWW: https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/index.html

Lots of good stuff fr the classic bike meddler.

Actually 2 days ago,
Pulled the engine and got the top end apart.

Looks like pistons , rings, valve stem seals and front cam chain guide . is on the replacement list fo far

What’s the best cam chain guide to be had ?
I see that mikes is crap.

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3957.jpeg
    IMG_3957.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3950.jpeg
    IMG_3950.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3948.jpeg
    IMG_3948.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3944.jpeg
    IMG_3944.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 25
The thread that is holding the point on the points plate came loose, noticed it after trying to set the timing right for like 10 times, so I changed the plate and timed to slightly retarded within F mark range. Still not running, but due to other stuff :)

Finished fitting stainless steel spokes to the front wheel. The hub is laquered brushed aluminium , the centre of the rim is brushed and laquered aluminium and the outer edge of the rims are just bare brushed aluminium. I did try to polish the rims, however, there is some pitting on them which I didnt want to polish out because a) the pits were not very accessible and b) would have resulted in and uneven ripple appearance. I hadnt realised that there are two different shapes of spoke in each XS wheel. the "L" horizontal tail on the end of the outer spokes is longer than the inner spokes. The overall length of the inner and outer spokes is the same. This explains why I can see two different spoke part numbers for each wheel

Attachments

• stainless spokes.jpg
    stainless spokes.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 49
France will soon require technical inspection for our motorcycles so I will have to put back indicators, I bought something to equip my dealy driver to start with, it's universal equipment, it's simpler than reassembling the system Originally, I'll equip the others later.... They're pissing us off! :mad::gun:
DSCN4747.JPG

Back