What have you done to your XS today?

France will soon require technical inspection for our motorcycles so I will have to put back indicators, I bought something to equip my dealy driver to start with, it's universal equipment, it's simpler than reassembling the system Originally, I'll equip the others later.... They're pissing us off!
Must be similar to our MoT - Ministry of Transport - test in Britain which has been around for as long as I can remember. Vehicles more than three years old must be submitted for annual inspection. Lots of quirky rules - if your bike has indicators, they must operate, but the bike will pass if there are none. Similar with lights, but if you present a bike with no lights it will be given a 'daytime only' MoT pass.

And, this point is relevant for us XS650 types, vehicles over forty years old can be registered as 'historic' and no longer have to be presented. It becomes the owner's responsibility that the bike is technically sound. Oh, and the annual road tax, which is still required, costs £0. So that's alright.

Instead of pulling the battery I bought a 20 watt "Renogy" solar charger ($23) a few weeks ago to keep the batteries charged while the 81' Special is stashed in backyard tool shed. After two days, the battery tested out at 14 volts. Two days later it was measuring 17 volts, to high. It's winter time in Maryland and my yard does not receive a lot of direct sunlight because we are surrounded by big pine trees. So I learned this charger does not have a controller. A 5 watt charger would probably be ideal and there would be no worries about overcharging. I slipped a brown plastic shopping bag over about 1/2 of the solar panel last week. The battery tested at 13.58 volts, up from 13 volts when I started this test. I'm going to try a 5 watt Harbor Freight Charger The 20 watt charger is now hooked up to the 2010 f-150 which isn't used so much when I'm not fishing. It is interesting to see how effective a solar charger can be.

Installed LED Headlight. Working on additional wiring circuits and switches. I have to figure out why my high beam indicator stays on in low and high beam stays on now. I had a similar issue when I switched to LED turn signals.

Attachments

• IMG_20240104_180336_227.jpg
    IMG_20240104_180336_227.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240104_180540_756.jpg
    IMG_20240104_180540_756.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240104_181355_807.jpg
    IMG_20240104_181355_807.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240104_181413_433.jpg
    IMG_20240104_181413_433.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 39
have to figure out why my high beam indicator stays on in low and high beam stays on now
The reserve lighting unit is looking for a load. You will have to deactivate or bypass it. I’m sure someone has posted that process. Try the tech section first.

Removed forks ready for getting stanchions sent off for grinding and hard chrome on my B. They look pretty bad! Can get Emgo ones from Yambits but prefer to stick to OEM(I think!). any views welcome. Checked out fork rebuild thread on here but seems like I need a special tool so local bike shop can break down and rebuild for me. Price of Yamaha oil seal a dust seal absolutely horrendous!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3305.jpeg
    IMG_3305.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3307.jpeg
    IMG_3307.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 38
Removed forks ready for getting stanchions sent off for grinding and hard chrome on my B.
Just out of interest Alan, where are you having them done? I sent a set of Z1 forks for similar in the '80s, and they did a good job. But when I contacted the same people again a few years later they told me they didn't do bike forks anymore - not worth their while or whatever. Then, a few years back, I read in one of the m/c monthlies that chrome plating was going to become a thing of the past due to the chemicals involved, acid baths and that, being phased out on H&S grounds. Obviously there must be outfits still offering the service?

Last edited:
Just out of interest Alan, where are you having them done? I sent a set of Z1 forks for similar in the '80s, and the y did a good job. But when I contacted the same people again a few years later they told me they didn't do bike forks anymore - not worth their while or whatever. Then, a few years back, I read in one of the m/c monthlies that chrome plating was going to become a thing of the past due to the chemicals involved, acid baths and that, being phased out on H&S grounds. Obviously there must be outfits still offering the service?
Raymond, I’m using pittedforks.co.uk. They are in Luton ,Beds and provide a pick up and delivery service as part of the price. it’s a hard chrome application. Give them a call, they seem to be nice people. 👍

4" of snow closed the roads today! I feel like a kid at school. So out to the shop to sort out small issues of switches for the headlight unit. I noticed the tires were low, so I dug out my Harbor Freight compressor. It wouldn't kick on...So that became my project. Turns out the switch was full on moth larva...I am still scratching my head as how a moth got into the switch to lay eggs...Tires are aired up, and switch circuits are wired for the headlight. Tomorrow I may have to take the bike out and play in the snow.

Attachments

• IMG_20240118_113049_439.jpg
    IMG_20240118_113049_439.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20231122_073645_613.jpg
    IMG_20231122_073645_613.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 43
Removed forks ready for getting stanchions sent off for grinding and hard chrome on my B. They look pretty bad! Can get Emgo ones from Yambits but prefer to stick to OEM(I think!). any views welcome. Checked out fork rebuild thread on here but seems like I need a special tool so local bike shop can break down and rebuild for me. Price of Yamaha oil seal a dust seal absolutely horrendous!!!
Sorry if it’s bad form replying to my own post! I’ve just looked at a rather chaotic video of XS650 fork dismantling - with the snappy title of

How to Replace the seals in the XS650 Forks and looking at the different types of fork plungers​

so what type of plunger do I have on my B model and what tool would I need to make up to use on it? The 17mm nut version, or the “cutaway” type. Thanks.

20240120_125037.jpg
Two Going to New Home
Today I sold a runner 78 Special and a project 74. Both new owner and seller are pleased.
I have 2 projects left, one of each flavour.
They fitted them onto a mid size pickup, to my surprise.

Plugged in the battery maintenance unit.
I swap it between Taffy (XS650) and The Brat (1200GS) each week.
:hump:

Just out of interest Alan, where are you having them done? I sent a set of Z1 forks for similar in the '80s, and they did a good job. But when I contacted the same people again a few years later they told me they didn't do bike forks anymore - not worth their while or whatever. Then, a few years back, I read in one of the m/c monthlies that chrome plating was going to become a thing of the past due to the chemicals involved, acid baths and that, being phased out on H&S grounds. Obviously there must be outfits still offering the service?
Hard chrome plate and grindingHCP&G in Notts have always done mine 01623237858

Finished fitting stainless steel spokes to the front wheel. The hub is laquered brushed aluminium , the centre of the rim is brushed and laquered aluminium and the outer edge of the rims are just bare brushed aluminium. I did try to polish the rims, however, there is some pitting on them which I didnt want to polish out because a) the pits were not very accessible and b) would have resulted in and uneven ripple appearance. I hadnt realised that there are two different shapes of spoke in each XS wheel. the "L" horizontal tail on the end of the outer spokes is longer than the inner spokes. The overall length of the inner and outer spokes is the same. This explains why I can see two different spoke part numbers for each wheel
I've just fitted the tyre and built up the hubs with the brake disc and chrome cover. The front wheel is ftitted back onto the bike and I am pleased with how it looks.

Back