What have you done to your XS today?

Continued rebuilding my custom street scrambler xs650 after getting frame powder coated, and fitting a Smedspeed 3.5 'hot street cam' to my 270 rephased 750cc big bore motor. Today I built a new battery box so the battery fits upside down under the Motolana swing arm to help access the battery terminals better than the previous upright battery box. Also fitted a new starter gear/friction clip kit to sort out the poor electric starting. Works a treat after nipping up the clips panhandle in the vice. So, can't wait to get the motor sparked up, and tune carbs after re-jetting for new cam. Hoping it gets me a more lively motor because it seems the cam fitted when the motor was rebuilt as a rephased 750 was ground all wrong, for instance it had 93 degrees overlap! So looking forward to how the new cam will perform.

Attachments

• 20240126_120116.jpg
    20240126_120116.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240126_102438.jpg
    20240126_102438.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 46
20240130_173814.jpg
Back at 'Er
After my last doomed attempt to bleed the rear brakes, I took apart the master and found the innermost seal had gotten crossed up, so reassembled it with a new rebuild kit, installed and had it bled in 15 minutes, front took about the same once I adjusted the lever on the Banggood master.
Then installed new chain and front sprocket, adjusted clutch cable, sorted through my carb stuff to find the best pair of manifolds for the BS34's I am using.
Great way to spend the afternoon.

Cleaned up and polished fork lowers - didn’t want a highly polished look so finished with wire wool & scotchbrite pad. Will be reinstalling forks soon so can somebody please post me at correct torque settings for ‘75 model? I have looked in tech section. Thanks.

I removed the seat from my 77 XS650 to repair a rip in the cover. The cover was ripped from a collision with a car turning in front of me numerous years ago.
Also received a cam chain tensioner for a SR500 to modify for the XS650. Thanks to whomever posted the procedure in the Tech section. Lastly, I did a finish sanding or rust removal on the swing arm and chain guard for the 80 XS650 Special ll.

Mrs C and I Finally closed the doors on our business today after 7 difficult years of trading. Blame Brexit, Covid and Putin for that. Loss of the business means loss of the workshop / bike storage. Moved Taffy & The Brat to temporary storage whilst I find a permanent home for them. Easier typed than done.

20240203_152531.jpg
20240203_151952.jpg
A '77 Standard, New to the Shed
After a week or so of running a wanted ad on Kijiji, I got a response last night about this beauty, less than an hour's drive away.
So I bought it. No title so that's job one, and said to be seized and was partially dismantled but with all the parts so I am pumped.
Stock exhaust, maybe 7 outta 10 will be applied directly to my 76 build right off the hop. Speedo shows 14000 kilometers, means little if it remains stuck. Got the air boxes, centre and side stands, even the left side lift handle that was almost always deleted in the 80's in favour of a sissy bar....
Despite its good bones, one of the least appealing looking 650's I have ever dragged home. Had to cover it up after I parked it beside the two runners.

Last edited:
France will soon require technical inspection for our motorcycles so I will have to put back indicators, I bought something to equip my dealy driver to start with, it's universal equipment, it's simpler than reassembling the system Originally, I'll equip the others later.... They're pissing us off! :mad::gun:
View attachment 259653
That’s f….. up

20240204_172342.jpg
Rear Brake Light Switch In Finally!
Almost an hour of "floor exercises" to get the switch installed and working properly. I shouldda put it on the lift, but I needed the work out.
2 into 2 "Ascot" style side pipes hung, tomorrow the finishing touches.

I've had oil leaking from the right side engine/ clutch cover for a few months after replacing the torn gasket.
I have removed the case a dozen times and can't find anything to cause the oil leak.
The new gasket was a Athena brand but it didn't make any difference to the oil leak so I made a gasket from a cereal packet and have ridden it daily for the last week and the oil leak has finally stopped.
I even applied perma gasket non hardening sealant to both sides of the Athena gasket and it still leaked !

View attachment 261033
View attachment 261034
A '77 Standard, New to the Shed
After a week or so of running a wanted ad on Kijiji, I got a response last night about this beauty, less than an hour's drive away.
So I bought it. No title so that's job one, and said to be seized and was partially dismantled but with all the parts so I am pumped.
Stock exhaust, maybe 7 outta 10 will be applied directly to my 76 build right off the hop. Speedo shows 14000 kilometers, means little if it remains stuck. Got the air boxes, centre and side stands, even the left side lift handle that was almost always deleted in the 80's in favour of a sissy bar....
Despite its good bones, one of the least appealing looking 650's I have ever dragged home. Had to cover it up after I parked it beside the two runners.

Now that there's some fine lookin paint.
Bettin not enough knoledge to get in too deep
swhy they went toa paintin.
could be wrong, dunno.
Ah F it pour somtin inn it and ride.
Just me talking to myself.
Good bones, clean exhaust,
hope you get the title or everything you can out of it.
Knowing what I know now it's a shame to let them go to waste.
There isn't an ugly XS, just ones that ain't made prudy yet. :)

Now that there's some fine lookin paint.
Bettin not enough knoledge to get in too deep
swhy they went toa paintin.
could be wrong, dunno.
Ah F it pour somtin inn it and ride.
Just me talking to myself.
Good bones, clean exhaust,
hope you get the title or everything you can out of it.
Knowing what I know now it's a shame to let them go to waste.
There isn't an ugly XS, just ones that ain't made prudy yet. :)
Thanks JD, got title now so all good.

Moved Taffy to a new lock up location; together with my tool armoury.
Finally got some proper space to set up my workshop.
Will need a portable generator to provide power source; I'll buy new for a few hundred of His Majesty's finest ££££
The Brat will be moved to this location also in a week or two
Have to say the 'Storage' game is a right earner; 160sq/ft shipping container £185 per month!
Pictures to follow.

Watched the new owner kick start and ride the neighborhood roads with a smile on helmetless
😁
I rescue them, put them together appropriately, ride em and pass em on. IDK why but this is what I have done for over 10 years…
IMG_5760.jpeg

Last edited:
Back