what's in ur toolbox?

anysnail

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
the other day my friend postal and i were talking tools and he started giving me crap about my craftsman tools saying they aren't very good. apparently he has thousands of dollars in snap-on tools and says anything other than MAC and snap-on aren't worth it. now beings that he is a professional diesel mechanic i can see why he buys such expensive wrenches.

i just wanna know if there is any difference or if he has just bought into some kind of professional grade mindset?

Having been a professional auto mechanic for the last 27 years, the answer is yes, as the Snap-on logo says, "There is a difference". Professional tools are of a much better quality than average tools. Does the average homeowner/hobbyist need them? Mostly, no. But when you use your tools, as I do, to make your living, 10 hours a day, that quality HAS to be there. If I have to remove a bolt/nut that has been in place on a rusty 15 year old car (common here in NH), sorry, Craftsman probably won't cut it. Don't get me wrong, I own some Craftsman stuff, but it stays at home. Works just fine most of the time. Most decent tools have a lifetime warranty as well. But that doesn't do me any good on the floor when I'm trying to make time on a job. Economy tools, made "off shore", no name stuff, can also cause more harm than good. Busted knuckles, rounded heads. They aren't worth the metal they're made of. So no, your friend is not wrong. He's just like me, making a living with his hands and tools. By the way, it's more like tens of thousands of dollars. (yeah it hurts for a while):)

I am not a professional mechanic but my father is. He swears by Snap-on and Mac at work and has a tool box full of Craftsman at home. If you are wrenching all day everyday you want the best. If you do it part time at home the cheaper Craftsman stuff works just fine but that's as far as I would go cheap wise. Like Tech said the cheap no name stuff sucks and breaks easily. How much would you pay to not bust your fingers?

When I split my crank to rephase, I busted a Sanp-On and two Craftsman wrenches. Lifetime warranties rock!

Cresent, Great Bend, Habor Freight, Craftsman, Mac, Blue Point, etc.
But I don't make a living with them.

okay cool. it's hard to argue with my friends when you start talking tools and tech stuff. they get real defensive. postal did teach me one thing very important. get a rolling toolbox, nothing permanently bolted to the floor. that way when the shit hits the fan you can say, "eff it. i'm out," and push your business home. or if you wife threatens to sell it all push it to your redneck friend's house where she can't get 'em! :laugh:

Back