Whats your weather right now?

A look out my side door this morning. This is my driveway you are looking at. About 100yds of gravel drive to the road. Drifts were about 3’ deep. Fortunately we both have AWD vehicles that could trudge through it all. I’m working from home till Thursday. In the meantime, my neighbor sent a picture from the beach in Cabo San Lucas, MX. That rotten bastard is there for 3 weeks. And he’s the one who normally plows me. Oh well, at least we’ve got power. Feel bad for y’all dealing with that.
7E4F80E8-6093-4C01-B47F-3BBC916D1D6C.jpeg

I spent the whole F*^#ing day in the crawl spaces of my ridiculous rental houses with a heat gun thawing out frozen pipes and drains.:wtf::cussing:
Did you instruct your renters in the (apparently) lost art of letting a faucet drip to prevent freezing?

A look out my side door this morning. This is my driveway you are looking at. About 100yds of gravel drive to the road. Drifts were about 3’ deep. Fortunately we both have AWD vehicles that could trudge through it all. I’m working from home till Thursday. In the meantime, my neighbor sent a picture from the beach in Cabo San Lucas, MX. That rotten bastard is there for 3 weeks. And he’s the one who normally plows me. Oh well, at least we’ve got power. Feel bad for y’all dealing with that.
View attachment 185127

Sheesh! That’s deep. :eek:

We got another 6" of snow overnight, and a temperature of -4* this morning. I would wait for it to warm up a little before I go out to snowblow the driveway, but the Mrs. needs to get out this morning to help her mother. Snow and cold in Oswego County in February? Who knew? Lol. This is our "normal" weather. Bundle up people!

It's only 27F here this morning. I can't complain after hearing about how much of the country is being blasted. hEARD ABOUT ROLLING BLACKOUTS ON THE NEWS THIS MORNING. Dang, I hit the f@cking cap locks key again. ( New tablet and tiny keyboard). I aint changing those caps back!

Anyway, I hope you guys without power have a gas/oil backup or plenty of wood and matches. Good luck!

It's only 27F here this morning. I can't complain after hearing about how much of the country is being blasted. hEARD ABOUT ROLLING BLACKOUTS ON THE NEWS THIS MORNING. Dang, I hit the f@cking cap locks key again. ( New tablet and tiny keyboard). I aint changing those caps back!

Anyway, I hope you guys without power have a gas/oil backup or plenty of wood and matches. Good luck!
Here I am at the same latitude as you and the snow keeps coming down! The weather guessers say we'll be near 60 on Tuesday! Bring it!

Did you instruct your renters in the (apparently) lost art of letting a faucet drip to prevent freezing?
Being a retired city worker we always advised people to let it trickle when it got really cold for an extended period of time
A few years ago we had the pipes freezing between the street and the houses so the city just said let it run about the size of a pencil lead and we'll cut you some slack on your water bill (as in they would bill them based on the previous years bill )the frost was deep even some sewer lines were freezing up

Luckily here our manufactured home is on a foundation and all hvac and plumbing are run in the crawl space under the house...2 yrs ago we had new foundation vents insstalled..They open when its warm and close when its cold.....a new roof..new hvac..and replaced the rear deck slider for new french doors and better insulation..has made a big difference in our utility bills...But the Heat Pump is not up to snuff when it gets extremely cold,and then the Aux. heaters kick in($$$$$). Not like the forced hot air gas fired heater we had in NJ.. a separate unit from the AC...unlike heat pumps which do double duty as AC in the summertime...
38* sunny and very breezy today...no heated gear..not riding...

Hey Fred if I had $3000 I'd be heading somewhere much warmer...;)

Hi 'max,
alas that I'd eventually have to come back home, too.
And that alone would cost me $3K+ in Government mandated isolation stay fees.
Best I stay home and watch my cross-street neighbors shuffle their vehicles.
Big family. 6 vehicles. 3 car drive.

Well, here on Canada's sunny southern coast it is about -19C (that is just below 0 deg. F) and so for around here, that is FRICKIN" cold plus we have about 10-15" of snow. Our winters are normally mild and reasonably dry - not too often colder than about -4-5C (just about 25 deg. F) and usually above zero with not much snow.

Windsor-Essex is about as close as one can get to decent weather between November and March in Canada.

Last night the city had a road grader faffing around on our street trying to clear the snow and sadly, he put most of it right across our driveway and so this morning Mrs. MaxPete and I were out shovelling the driveway for about 90 minutes - and boy, was it fun!

NOT

Well, here on Canada's sunny southern coast it is about -19C (that is just below 0 deg. F) and so for around here, that is FRICKIN" cold plus we have about 10-15" of snow. Our winters are normally mild and reasonably dry - not too often colder than about -4-5C (just about 25 deg. F) and usually above zero with not much snow.

Windsor-Essex is about as close as one can get to decent weather between November and March in Canada.

Last night the city had a road grader faffing around on our street trying to clear the snow and sadly, he put most of it right across our driveway and so this morning Mrs. MaxPete and I were out shovelling the driveway for about 90 minutes - and boy, was it fun!

NOT
Pete
Count your blessings. You have power and your town has some equipment for this type of weather. If you can get out your driveway you can go someplace.
Large parts of our southern states have neither.
Kinda worried about 2M. He hasn't posted since he had to walk home.

Luckily here our manufactured home is on a foundation and all hvac and plumbing are run in the crawl space under the house...2 yrs ago we had new foundation vents insstalled..They open when its warm and close when its cold.....a new roof..new hvac..and replaced the rear deck slider for new french doors and better insulation..has made a big difference in our utility bills...But the Heat Pump is not up to snuff when it gets extremely cold,and then the Aux. heaters kick in($$$$$). Not like the forced hot air gas fired heater we had in NJ.. a separate unit from the AC...unlike heat pumps which do double duty as AC in the summertime...
38* sunny and very breezy today...no heated gear..not riding...
Heat Pumps work best in Florida, if you need some heat when it's +50F outside. +35 or less and they suck! As a Home Inspector I test all air supplies temps. At +35F most heat pumps put out about 80F to 85F supply air if you are lucky. Those temps will eventually heat your house, but 80F moving air can actually feel cold. It sucks, but there is an alternative. Mitzubishi and Sanyo make a small vertical remote evaporator heat pump that supplies heat with outside temps in the +20's. Something to ponder over. Me, I've got natural gas forced hot air. It heats very well, but I wake up like I was in the Sahara desert.

I, personally prefer hot water furnaces with baseboard or cast iron radiators. Quiet, no dust or dander flying thru the air and no dry throats in the morning. And since natural gas or LP is used, and the pump uses less than 1/2 an amp, it can then be easily attached to an emergency generator. If my furnace goes out, I'm seriously considering the hot water furnace. I installed 3 of them in Jersey.

Back