Where's your duct tape?

olewahrhorse

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My "79" XS is to the point of putting some miles on it. I don't have the original tool kit for it, so I have to put one together. Besides bailer twine and fencing wiring, what have you got? Gimme some useful suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20231122_073645_613.jpg
    IMG_20231122_073645_613.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 58
JIS screwdriver, 10mm combination spanner - those are the tools mine requires to tighten the battery connections. Which on one occasion loosened off and nearly left me stranded. But for the kindness of strangers.

You need to think why you are carrying tools. If it's to get you going, what jobs can you/are you able to do in a layby at the side of the road?

As well as those mentioned above, I carry a small pair of pliers, a plug spanner plus a wrench to turn that with, and a 12 & 13mm ring spanner - those are common sizes on the bike. And a couple of Allen keys, a flat screwdriver and a 14 & 17 mm open ended spanner - again, common sizes.

Some carry a lot more and could probably rebuild the bike with their toolkit. Perhaps that's the self-reliant N American approach? The UK approach is to carry a mobile phone and breakdown service details. I don't carry a mobile, but I do have the number for the breakdown service.

If you have points ignition, a set of feeler gauges wouldn't hurt. Spare fuses and lightbulbs for sure. I normally bring an adjustable wrench for large fasteners like swing arm and axle nuts (Maybe a double ended ring spanner is better?) I also have a small selection of M6 screws and nuts in my tool roll. At least once I almost lost the license plate when a screw vibrated loose. A spare schraeder valve core could be useful, and I like those valve caps with a valve core tool on them. A roll of electrical tape can be useful, and those screw-on cable nipples can save the day. One for clutch cable, and one for throttle.

A 'Birmingham Screwdriver' (Fookin' big 'ammer) usually sorts things out!

Like @Raymond says; a few basic bike specific tools work. Allen keys / small adjustable spanner and a multi tool.
Never forget the RAC or AA recovery membership for those times in need......:smoke:

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 22.36.38.png

Royal Automobile Club

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 22.38.38.png

Automobile Association

Either will get you out of a pickle if you subscribe.

The XS650 was factory assembled with JIS hardware. The provided tool kit had the sizes. 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 22, and 27 millimeter. Most bikes are now adulterated. I know I have to carry a 13 mm. I'm not sure what else I've done to screw it up. Socket heads for sure.

some insulated copper wire
some soft steel wire
wrenches
#2 screwdriver
carb adjustment screw driver
some gorrilla tape wrapped around a wrench handle
electrical tape.
some M6 allen heads and a couple m6 nuts
5mm hex wrench.
a multi tool.
A rag
hope and patience.

Factory tool kit will fix any thing on the side of the road, except for an engine rebuild.

Has a points/tappet feeler gauge, spanners to remove rear or front wheel incase of a puncture, pliers to r remove split pins or clip on the chain joining link. Nothing that can't b done as a general maintainence issue or a breakdown on the side of the road.

I did add another. Set of adjustable pliers, same as factory and another open ended to give me a double up on all sizes.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Something like that in the leather jacket pocket has saved the day quite often
Has a small nylon holster so it can be on the belt
The bits capability is important
There are cheap copies i bought several from Lidl

1705367716909.png

A 'Birmingham Screwdriver' (Fookin' big 'ammer) usually sorts things out!

Like @Raymond says; a few basic bike specific tools work. Allen keys / small adjustable spanner and a multi tool.
Never forget the RAC or AA recovery membership for those times in need......:smoke:

View attachment 259786
Royal Automobile Club

View attachment 259787
Automobile Association

Either will get you out of a pickle if you subscribe.
aufkleber-deutschland-adac.jpgMost of my machines are over twenty years old...But have as yet, needed rescued

A cell phone and credit card! 😄
View attachment 259796
LOL
I have not ridden my XS650 that far yet but I have a trailer at the house and have trained my son how to hook it up and come get me :)
I'm lucky to have the factory tool set and added some zip ties and a tire pressure gauge. Anything else and I call home for a pick up.
For my bikes that have tubeless tires, I have both a regular plug kit plus some of the plugs that you screw in with a phillips. My scout and Bonneville have bags, I have a travel kit I throw into either one. I have one of those electric air pumps that are the size of a soda can.

Something like that in the leather jacket pocket has saved the day quite often
Has a small nylon holster so it can be on the belt
The bits capability is important
There are cheap copies i bought several from Lidl

View attachment 259794
Has saved me many a time... one in my truck tool box.... one in most of my bike tool boxes... and one on my hip.... :)

Back