XS Performance Exhaust

Dorian

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I want to buy for my XS Cafe Racer project a new headpipes raised a few, and short revese cone mufflers
I'm thinking in the XS Performance headpipe PartNo: 07_0758, and mufflers PartNo: 07_0114

How it works this combination?
What about the sound? (I think that I can adjust the sound with fiber inside the muffler)
Somebody have some pict with this Exhausts mounted into an XS?

Thanks

07_0114.jpg

07_0758.jpg

That's exactly what I'm running and the bike sounds awesome. Its interesting, it can be both loud and not-so-loud: It is really loud when you open up the throttle for a quick blast of acceleration, but when you are just cruising at a steady pace, it isn't... It really growls on deceleration/engine braking. Love it! :thumbsup:

I also got some torque inserts as they were recommended for a larger diameter head pipe. Part #07-0769

ann0yed1.jpg

-jonathan

Last edited:
hi ann0yed,
these exhaust looks very nice mounted into the bike
thanks for the pict

Hey Jonathan,

Your combination is exactly what I'm planning to run on my cafe project. They look great, and it's good to read a report about the sound. Judging from your report, the sound is also what I was hoping for. Can I assume the bike has a low, throaty rumble at idle? Also, how would you compare the performance difference after you installed the pipes? Did you rejet your carbs?

Hey cooltouch, yes, it does have the low throaty rumble you spoke of. It isn't Harley loud but has that same kind of crackle to it, which I've always liked and which is what to me a motorcycle should sound like. Its dramatically different from stock, that's for sure.

As for the performance, when those headers and exhaust are used in combination with the pod filters, the most significant thing I discovered was that I didn't have to shift as often! I ride almost exclusively in New York city, so I don't get up to the higher gears very much, but I noticed that the bike is A LOT more free, it feels like I've lost a big weight I had unknowingly been dragging around before the switch. I get a lot more out of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears than I used to and when decelerating/engine braking, the bike doesn't slow down as nearly as quickly, it just moves so much more easily now.

As for your jetting question, THAT my friend has been a royal pain in the ass! I recently posted a thread about that:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1905

Even after all that, I'm STILL not COMPLETELY convinced that my setup is perfection, but its the best I've attained thus far. Please let me know what works for you when you get it all up and running well!

-jonathan

A nice alternative is Supertrapps. I've used them in the past and they are tuneable for sound, come shiny polished SS, brushed SS or black in 10" or 17" length. A little price about $180.00 each. Dennis Kirk or Sumitt have them.

On my last build

MyV-50-1.jpg

As for your jetting question, THAT my friend has been a royal pain in the ass! I recently posted a thread about that:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1905

Even after all that, I'm STILL not COMPLETELY convinced that my setup is perfection, but its the best I've attained thus far. Please let me know what works for you when you get it all up and running well!

I have a set of Mikuni 36mm roundslides that will be going on my bike, so jetting info won't be very transferable, I'm thinking. The guy I bought them from races XS650s, so I had then set up according to the engine mods I'm doing to it. Hopefully, it will be close when I get it running. Although he threw in some extra jets, just so I'd have some room to play around with.

Hi ann0yed
do you mount some EPO in the end of the pipes (before the mufflers)?
or only the Headpipe Torque Inserts (07-0769) at the starting of the pipes?

I read about the Exhaust Port Optimizers (EPO) and Torque Peak Optimizers (TPO) into the http://www.650central.com/
They said its a MUST with larger diameter headpipes.
But Heiden Tuning page said that we only need the Inserts...
I'm confused

Dorian, The EPO's (exhaust port optimizers) are a higher-tech variation of the old torque cones. They're inserted into the head, and give better port-to-pipe alignment as well as giving a bit of acceleration to the exhaust gas into the bends and impeding reversion. The TPO's and XS Performance knock-offs reduce the pipe diameter at the outlet. Power peak in an exhaust system is controlled by the length of the primaries (headers), and torque peak is controlled by diameter--the larger the primaries, the farther up the rpm range the torque peak is moved. The TPO's put your torque peak back in a usable range.

The TPO inserts are made with a flare at each end so that the ID reduction is made without a step. I don't know the ID of the XS Performance inserts. Michael Morse makes them in two ID's: 1-3/8" for stock displacement and mildly-tuned big bores, and 1-1/2" for highly tuned big bores which will get wound up tight. Fitment isn't a bolt-on job; you'll need to turn the ends of the inserts to fit your pipes (a bench grinder works fine for this) and knock off any burrs with a rotary tool, then secure them in position. Michael recommends welding the inserts at the outlet. I prefer to install them with 4 mm. countersunk screws covered by the muffler clamps.

No Dorian, I had never even heard of anything you'd install in the muffler end of the header until you mentioned it! Ha, well thanks to grizld1, now I know what they are.

-jonathan

Hey, seat and fiberglass is from Omar's Dirt Track, here's a link:

http://omarsdtr.com/stXRWS.html

I've since done some fiberglassing for myself and had I had that experience before buying the seat, I'd have made my own, but Omar's is very well done. The only consideration is if you get the taillight/plate holder option, which I did as you can see in the pic, when riding with a passenger (even a petite one like my girlfriend) a good bump will get that plate holder to catch on the tire (even with the shocks adjusted to their firmest) and get folded under the seat. I've since put my plate on a bracket attached to the rear axle.

-j

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm running and the bike sounds awesome. Its interesting, it can be both loud and not-so-loud: It is really loud when you open up the throttle for a quick blast of acceleration, but when you are just cruising at a steady pace, it isn't... It really growls on deceleration/engine braking. Love it! :thumbsup:

I also got some torque inserts as they were recommended for a larger diameter head pipe. Part #07-0769

jw_xs650.jpg

-jonathan

thinking of them because of a new noise by-law. how do they sound at around 2000rpm?

Mmm not bad, at cruising speed they aren't obnoxious at all but you can set off some sensitive car alarms at the twist of the throttle. As you can see in the pic, expect a little discoloration.

Back