Yamaha Special 650 - barn find - Identifying

do I detect a suggestion that you may wish to fix the bike mainly to sell it?

I want to keep it, but it is becoming very overwhelming already. I transported it from the barn I discovered it in to my garage last night(to answer the question about the title, I did track down and contact the “title holder” and asked if I can get the title and he said yes!)

today I’m giving it a warm soapy bath and I’ll document with before and after pictures.

there is some surface rust but I didn’t see any rusted out spots or even large pitting for that matter.

brake and clutch cable seem broke or disconnected, need to replace a turn indicator, and do some engine lubing before I attempt to kick it over.

shopping

I like this on the rusty chrome. It makes it shiny and leaves a protective wax coat. HERE

Last edited:
I want to keep it, but it is becoming very overwhelming already.

You're going to have to go through at least most of the bike. It's either going to bring you joy or be a PITA. If the latter is going to be the case, cut your losses and get it gone once you clean it up. If you stick with it, we're here to help.

Last edited:
Jet, your pic and link are for the "Fine" version. Is that what you use and prefer over the regular original one?

Jet, your pic and link are for the "Fine" version. Is that what you use and prefer over the regular original one?
Thank you for pointing that out. I just went to the garage to see what I have and it's ORIGINAL-FOR HEAVY USE. Time for an edit.
(My edit goes to Walmart where it costs $5 more than Amazon.)

Last edited:
Took some before photos of this beauty in some light. Lots of built up dust.
I’ll be investing in some cleaners and really getting to work soon. Plan on just doing a quick bath to see what and where the problem areas are so I know what to buy for a real in-depth cleaning.

Attachments

• 1736F9BD-187F-467A-AB5C-A81A4A443955.jpeg
    1736F9BD-187F-467A-AB5C-A81A4A443955.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 287D2B0E-75F3-4A71-B520-10684B38ADBB.jpeg
    287D2B0E-75F3-4A71-B520-10684B38ADBB.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 01DD35DB-3102-4F08-A791-07CDC9A86A72.jpeg
    01DD35DB-3102-4F08-A791-07CDC9A86A72.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 661C1214-CC6D-4229-844A-AAB0B40A2386.jpeg
    661C1214-CC6D-4229-844A-AAB0B40A2386.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 93
I’ll be investing in some cleaners and really getting to work soon. Plan on just doing a quick bath to see what and where the problem areas are so I know what to buy for a real in-depth cleaning.

If this was me I would take some more pictures before washing
Close up on engine both sides and so on ..Keeping it for reference
There appears to be a minor cylinder head leak left --- so -- I would touch the bolts before attempting to start
According to instructions ---and then again after a short while
There has also been a leak at the Valve cover front left .. Nothing to worry about.
I would not use a pressurized wash not ever ... and not now since it can force in water behind seals and in this case a bike that wont run the nearest future . It can rust in there then. I would also be careful with water at the swing /wheel bearings / steering head.
Push in some plastic bags or so in the exhaust so water don't run in there in the washing
I would keep it stock since everything is there ,
To me that is worth more.
We will see if that baby shines up.

I didnt try to kick it over or anything but I did a check to see what was rusty, seized or free. With my hand I gently pushed down on the kick start and there was 0 resistance.

My heart just sank

I didnt try to kick it over or anything but I did a check to see what was rusty, seized or free. With my hand I gently pushed down on the kick start and there was 0 resistance.

My heart just sank
That probably means the helical kicker gear didn’t engage.

My heart just sank

Rest easy ..that can be the clutch .. and there is no cover on the adjuster on the left side --you can see the nut
No worries just yet ... Not big ones before that is checked and RP .s above

For peace of mind if you want to feel the engine turn over you could pull the spark plugs, remove the valve adjustment covers, squirt a small amount of oil in the cylinders and even in there on the camshaft lobes.
On centerstand (couldn't live without one myself) try the shifting while manually turning the rear wheel. Get it into about 3rd gear and then you can manually turn the engine over while watching the valve train operate too
;)

These bikes are perfect for one average size guy. Now that seat is made for someone thick as a passenger. This are strong motors but....be nice. Don’t break the horses back. Haha.

Back